Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So one issue I noticed with the game, especially two player games, is that sometimes the market gets clogged if neither you or the other player are focusing on a particular type (i.e. Guile). There needs to be some way to clear the market. Less common, but it has happened to me, is finding that you simply can't get any cards that let you Promote your characters, making your deck stronger.

My solution for this is The Void.

In the Market, you can choose to cast a card into The Void, which will simply be represented by putting cards underneath your promoted cards area (instead of on top with the promoted cards). You can choose, once per turn, to send something to The Void, be it from the Market or from your Hand (but unlike Promoted cards, it cannot be played that turn). At the end of the game, any card in the void gets the Promoted score, but in the negative. The exception is with starter cards, which count for -2 victory points at the end of the game instead of -1.

Let me know what you guys think of this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
So one issue I noticed with the game, especially two player games, is that sometimes the market gets clogged if neither you or the other player are focusing on a particular type (i.e. Guile). There needs to be some way to clear the market. Less common, but it has happened to me, is finding that you simply can't get any cards that let you Promote your characters, making your deck stronger.

In the Market, you can choose to cast a card into The Void, which will simply be represented by putting cards underneath your promoted cards area (instead of on top with the promoted cards). You can choose, once per turn, to send something to The Void, be it from the Market or from your Hand (but unlike Promoted cards, it cannot be played that turn). At the end of the game, any card in the void gets the Promoted score, but in the negative. The exception is with starter cards, which count for -2 victory points at the end of the game instead of -1.

I'm confused. How would Starter cards ever be in the Void?

Nevermind, I understand. Why not just allow players to discard cards from the card row for an Influence cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
veector wrote:
bubblepipemedia wrote:

I'm confused. How would Starter cards ever be in the Void?

Nevermind, I understand. Why not just allow players to discard cards from the card row for an Influence cost?

This means one new mechanic instead of two, and they tie together which I like. I think this prevents hate drafting too, whereas if you have a ton of influence points, you could just start removing all the cards your opponent wants if your deck is already good. Sure, it gets filled again, but still, I wanted to make sure the player in the monetary lead didn't have all the power. I also think that this way you are less likely to do it. And I'd rather a variant that was only used in emergency cases than one that allowed you to do stuff all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.