Subject: Question about replacing/upgrading coins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've fallen in love with the looks, theme and mechanics of Great Western Trail - and before long should be fortunate enough to have my own copy.

I am an absolute sucker for metal coins (but don't yet own a game with metal coins).

I have an opportunity to buy some Western Coins from Philibernet for 25 euros (and there wouldn't be enough coins to replace all of the paper coins in the game).

OR

A friend suggested I'd replace them with American coins. I had never thought of this, but it seems like a great idea!

Do you have any thoughts? And say I were to go with the American coins, which two coins would be best? Both in terms of differentiating them as well as size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pennies (1's) and Nickels (5's)

Both feature presidents who were known during the 1870s and 1880s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Bithalver
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Pennies (1's) and Nickels (5's)

Both feature presidents who were knows during the 1870s and 1880s.

Sounds good ! Do you have any idea where to get them cheap in Europe ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess a bank or a currency exchange, but they're likely to give you only bills. You could also ask at Duty Free shops. You don't need that many so you could probably just exchange 2 Euros worth for 30 nickels and 50 pennies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was checking the quantities for my Carson City metal coins as a fill-in for GWT cardboard coins last night and they came up short unfortunately. I did have enough of my Drawlab metal coins in their Wild West series to use in GWT. They are heftier in weight, have a nominal size difference between the values, come in 3 different colors, but lack a number on either face so you mentally assign then as preferred.

The best part of thr Drawlab coins is how they sound when they clank together. Seeing them stacked up or layered in a row is much more appealling than current nickels and pennies. Of course I've seen those for dozens of years so they aren't overly special to me.

Have fun with whatever coins you find- it's a component that should feel more thematic once replaced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.