Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Goss
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I have a question regarding the far right of illustration on the front of the Reference Sheet.

It states, "However, because RED's factor does not double when attacked by BLUE-A, BLUE-A is given an attack factor of 2 in this case. Battle odds become 3-2."

Okay, how does BLUE-A get an doubled 'attack' factor in this case? I mean I wasn't aware that any unit could double it's factors when attacking?

The final paragraph is another example with 3 units attacking 1; not at 3:1, but at 5-2?

What am I missing here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Trowbridge
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My opinion: The designer did not want to involve fractions for some reason.

The example is showing an amphibious landing. The red unit is on a (fortified) port. I think that such locations are doubled only against amphibious attack, not overland attack. In effect the attacker is halved, which would make the odds 1:2 if only Blue B were involved.

What the example is showing is the arithmetic equivalent of Blue A = 1, Blue B = 1/2, Red A = 1. Odds thus are 1.5:1, which is to say 3:2.

The final paragraph adds another Blue unit at X, attacking overland. It will not be penalized in the attack, making the odds 5:2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goss
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well nobody can say that I've ever been good at math! Thanks for the clarification I really appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.