Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
Yes you read me right. I have no one to play with, and I already sold my copy of For King and Country. There went the British. As far as war gaming goes, there are other tactical systems and I have a couple of miniatures war game books too, so I'm still in the hobby, theoretically, but ASL just didn't work for me. I feel somehow sad about this.

My brother and I found our plays of Arkham Horror kind of more fun because there weren't as many rules look ups or charts to fiddle with. Our forays into war games have been less fun. He would have liked to know a game inside out and ASL is just too detailed and huge for him.

I will miss the caliber to penetration charts for tanks and guns, the IFT, the counters and copious amounts of Chapter H notes I used to pore over when I got in the mood. Good times. The first couple of clumsy games with confusion about rules were still exciting, and really felt like a good war movie being played out on the tabletop.

If only I had a regular gaming buddy who shared my passion for detail and historical re-fights. Looks like I wanted to play a game I wasn't meant to play. Something didn't work out right this time. I hope my ASL stuff will find a home where it will be religiously played until the counters fall apart and the maps turn brown, only to be replaced with fresh components after the inevitable decline. I hope someone will read this message, and dedicate time and effort to a game that deserves to be played, not just shelved.

I hope the war gaming gods will forgive me, if only this once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Johnson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Dumas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, yeah... what'ca got for sale? Do you have Blood Reef? I need Journal 4 and Action Pack 7 (or just 60, 61, 62 would do)...

lol (too soon?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bpmasher wrote:
Yes you read me right. I have no one to play with,

Did you check the ASL Players' Google Map? Could be someone nearby. Many people play regularly via VASL with Skype - 90% as good as face-to-face.

Quote:
and I already sold my copy of For King and Country. There went the British. As far as war gaming goes, there are other tactical systems and I have a couple of miniatures war game books too, so I'm still in the hobby, theoretically, but ASL just didn't work for me. I feel somehow sad about this.

Have you tried ASL SK? It might be an easier introduction to full ASL than "jumping in deep end of the pool."

Quote:
My brother and I found our plays of Arkham Horror kind of more fun because there weren't as many rules look ups or charts to fiddle with. Our forays into war games have been less fun. He would have liked to know a game inside out and ASL is just too detailed and huge for him.

I will miss the caliber to penetration charts for tanks and guns, the IFT, the counters and copious amounts of Chapter H notes I used to pore over when I got in the mood. Good times. The first couple of clumsy games with confusion about rules were still exciting, and really felt like a good war movie being played out on the tabletop.

If you really do walk away from ASL and/or ASLSK but still want some of that, consider GMT's "Panzer" and "MBT" games.

Quote:
If only I had a regular gaming buddy who shared my passion for detail and historical re-fights. Looks like I wanted to play a game I wasn't meant to play. Something didn't work out right this time. I hope my ASL stuff will find a home where it will be religiously played until the counters fall apart and the maps turn brown, only to be replaced with fresh components after the inevitable decline. I hope someone will read this message, and dedicate time and effort to a game that deserves to be played, not just shelved.

I hope the war gaming gods will forgive me, if only this once.

Again, double check the ASL Players' Google Map before giving up!
-Nadir
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Axford
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this where I call dibs on BV? (also too soon!)

I completely understand, it's a massive time commitment that requires someone with the same level of dedication. I'm just starting to get back into this after almost 20 years of being out of the loop. Started slow with ASLSK and trying to get VASL up and going. Another time commitment.

So that being said, I'm just going to suck it up and jump on BV and Core and see where it goes.

That being said, I may be very well up here posting the exact same response next year. But I'm also a glutton for punishment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe head on over to the SK1 forums.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1546763/solitaire-asl-b...

Print out the solitaire bot deck of cards. Use your imagination a bit to fill in the missing things from full rules that you want to use. Voila. Instant opponent to keep you occupied and happy until the next real opponent shows up.

I work from home. This is the view on the table just off to the side of my office desk. Solitaire game of Decision Of Elst against the bot. What other game gives you something that looks so cool and interesting to look at?

I have an email game going as well, but the solo CG game is getting most of my attention. Lack of face to face opponents shouldn't be that big of a deal - but it depends on what exactly you want out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarkko,
Many players ONLY play on VASSAL.

Give it a try.

I'm up for a game....

LMK

I'm GMT -8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bpmasher wrote:
If only I had a regular gaming buddy who shared my passion for detail and historical re-fights.

Well, you didn't indicate how hard you looked for one.

There are several ASL players in Finland (they put together their own module, for Pete's sake!), and many more still in the other Scandinavian countries (not to mention hundreds of other players located elsewhere around the world). None of them may live next door to you, but I'd have to expect a sizable number of them are willing and able to play you on VASL. How many of those people have you reached out to? How many gaming clubs did you look for? How many tournaments did you look for information on, to see if any of them were practical for you to attend?

I'm not aware of any ASL group anywhere on the planet that would not welcome a new player eager to learn the game.

If you want to learn and play ASL, the only thing that could possibly stop you is yourself; and no-one else can help you with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Heraus zur letzten Parade!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say don't take all or nothing approach. Many new ASL players try to buy everything as if that would somehow help them play it all and then get burned by all these boxes sitting unplayed and sell everything just as quick.

Just accept the fact you're late-comer and work from the scratch. You'll need just an ASLRB and BV to start with. OK, that's your entry fee. You'll actually need just Yanks (or even Paratrooper) and possibly FKaC beyond that to already have your hands full for many time to come. OK, if you're a Suomi player you'll probably need HP, too. Any additional core modules, HASLs, action packs etc. won't add you anything at this point. Then just say with resolve, "I won't buy anything new nor sell anything before I'll play all this (or a better part of this) by hook or by crook," and start actively looking for opportunities - VASSAL, local clubs, forums. Somebody's in need of ASL opponent somethere right now,

You can have on and off relationships with ASL but it could become your to-go game. You could eventually convert your brother, who knows. Just don't give up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
I thought about this and basically it's the time element and the "stress" of having to learn a huge system. I learned to partition my knowledge by chapter and learning stuff again when needed, but I find it stressful to forget and having to relearn the same rules over and over again.

I have to admit I wasn't too hot on finding someone to play with, I did try VASSAL a couple of times but the games fell flat mostly (by email) and wasn't completed.

I was and am really hot on Normandy stuff even for ASL so that was my main focus of collecting, but many people seem to dislike the bocage rules or don't feel like playing the more complex Normandy scenarios. Maybe I didn't find a like-minded player though.

The easiest solution is to sell my stuff and buy something else. I guess I'll have to mull this over some more.

(I am really done with OCS though, check out my price on DAK! :O)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Heraus zur letzten Parade!
mbmbmbmbmb
See, you're interested in thematics. I'm personally not a big fan of Eastern Front and would rather play, say, Burma scenarios. I can't do that currently because I've to complete Stahler's tutorials to get an overall and better knowledge of the system and then go to Shostak's tutorials to learn PTO specifics (playing recommended scenarios as I read, FTF or PBEM, along the way). I just bide my time and use opportunities.

So keep at least your thematic core. When you become tired of reading numerous rulebooks just to play a couple of games, you might want to return to ASL and just regret you've already sold your collection.

As to OCS, that's the same. I've acquired Reluctant Enemies, and until I've done with that game, no new buys and sells!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bpmasher wrote:

(I am really done with OCS though, check out my price on DAK! :O)

What's your issue with OCS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
No issue, just found the game play wasn't to my liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lunney
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Stress can be reduced by having someone to learn the rules with - if in doubt - VASL is your friend - it has been mine for a very long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pity we don't live in the same city. We could've done the whole Action Pack 4 in chronological order, with fixed sides, and tally the results in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson K
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
http://www.hongkongwargamer.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Different strokes for different folks of course .. but I see the complexity of ASL as comprehensiveness.

Believe it or not the first ASL I ever bought was the ASLRB. I figure this system is going to last me a long while .. and of course it did.

There's absolutely no pressure to "learn the whole system". You hardly need all or even most of the rules to play. I tend to play .. and then read the related rules, that way I have context and with context I understand the rules a lot faster.

I played my first full game having read a 3rd of Chapter A.

My theme is PTO. My favorite nationality is the IJA. I do "bizarre" things like seaborne invasion and caves. I also play "normal" stuff with the masses, any ASL is better than no ASL.

And I play most of my games live with Skype on VASL.

In fact, I have 5x 2 hour games sessions every week with players around Asia Pac and one in the US (Sunday nite is CAVE night!).

If you remember, I always have a few PBeM games on the side.

If have lost interest, then that's one thing. If you genuinely want to learn, I'd say don't try to learn. PLAY and you will learn.

AGAIN, there's no need to learn the whole system. I hardly need more than a 3rd of Chapter A to get started. The key is to PLAY. I focused on losing my first 100 games as quickly as possible. I am on about 130, still losing, but enjoying every minute of it.

I don't think you will have real difficulties finding people who'd place bocage (I can think of a few in Asia alone).

I don't know you well since we have only played a few rounds. My general observation is when people quit, they quit. When people need to talk about it, they aren't a 100% sure.

I hope this helps you.

Good luck

Rgds Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah I'm on the fence. I guess that's why I brought it up here. Just yesterday I was looking at copies of Rising Sun wondering whether I would enjoy playing the PTO even by myself, or getting a copy of Solitaire ASL and using that for campaigns and such.

I think I'll have to hold on to my stuff so I don't regret it later.

(I remember my first purchase, it was SK3 and Beyond Valor. It came in a big cardboard box. I was like a kid on Christmas. "Look at these chits with tanks on them!")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson K
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
http://www.hongkongwargamer.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent!!

With that many active players around the world, there's no reason to be alone.

Rgds Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bpmasher wrote:

I was and am really hot on Normandy stuff

Me too! In particular, I'm fascinated by the Airborne actions on D-Day.

With that in mind, this would probably be a really bad time to sell everything and stop playing completely. There is a Normandy historical module coming out (it might still take a little while) that has 5 big maps and covers a lot of the early fighting in Normandy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexei Gartinski
Jordan
Amman
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just get yourself Combat Commander: Europe: you will never look back! If you managed to get through at least some of the ASL rules, you'd get these ones in no time, and the amount of cinematic, movie-like experiences you'll get from playing CCE is at least on par with ASL (if not more ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
Deerwood
MN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alexeigartinski wrote:

Just get yourself Combat Commander: Europe: you will never look back! If you managed to get through at least some of the ASL rules, you'd get these ones in no time, and the amount of cinematic, movie-like experiences you'll get from playing CCE is at least on par with ASL (if not more ;-)

I'd advise, if abandoning ASL, going to Lock 'n Load's Heroes of Normandy. Then you get armor, with reasonable rules, and now that Mark Walker isn't there the product is being competently managed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BattleSchool Managing Editor
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to use that self-rally capability of yours.

Failing that, rout to the nearest leader:
http://www.self-rally.org
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Axford
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw another post on BGG for another Finn that was looking to get back into ASL....and now I can't find it. Surely someone else will see it and post the link...and maybe we can make an (ASL) love connection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
graydo wrote:
alexeigartinski wrote:

I'd advise, if abandoning ASL, going to Lock 'n Load's Heroes of Normandy. Then you get armor, with reasonable rules, and now that Mark Walker isn't there the product is being competently managed.

hmmm I haven't gotten the impression over the last few months that Lock N Load is well managed.

The website is a nightmare. Most everything is on pre-order and a bunch of stuff is out of stock. It's impossible to tell what the base modules are and which new content releases are used for which ones. Heroes of Normandy is out of stock, too.

Sorry, not to derail the thread, but I just don't think this is a good recommendation at all. I don't think Lock N Load publishing is at all clear about the direction they want to take. Maybe things have changed in the last couple of months, but I just took another look at the website, and it's a distracting mess.

[Edit -- last blog entry on their website is from 05/24/2016 explaining difficulties etc... now it's 11/16 with no update]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.