Subject: Virtual Chaos Bag rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While waiting for my copy to arrive, I wrote a simple Chaos Bag simulator. Maybe you will find it useful: http://chaosbag.retrobox.eu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...is the elder sign in the rotation? Other than the initial glimpse, I can't get it to appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjacjackson wrote:
Hmmm...is the elder sign in the rotation? Other than the initial glimpse, I can't get it to appear.

Indeed. It is fixed now. Thanks for spotting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookmarked, thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Had a quick test in preparation for getting the game this week - seems like I get a lot of special symbols and I know it's random, but are the randimisation algorithm right? Just curious.

Otherwise many thanks for the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seidelmx seidelmx
msg tools
Excellent and elegant solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Jangus wrote:
Had a quick test in preparation for getting the game this week - seems like I get a lot of special symbols and I know it's random, but are the randimisation algorithm right? Just curious.

I got the same impression too. Are there multiple copies of the various numbers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Jangus wrote:

I got the same impression too. Are there multiple copies of the various numbers?

It should be OK as long as I got the actual bag contents right. I don't have the game yet and typed them from a video review still of the campaign manual, so I could have made a mistake there.
The multiple copies work as they should, it seems. For example this is a bag of 4 x +1 and an Elder Sign: http://chaosbag.retrobox.eu/#jjjjk It should have 20% chance of getting the elder sign, which checks testing in my browser.

I just read the game rules to see that in the trial game one of the special symbols require another draw from the bag. This is not supported now, but you can just randomize until you get some other symbol. This work around is valid as long as the symbol that requires another draw is unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
It's unfortunate that it only works for two scenarios (the third one adds a Monster token to the bag).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:
It's unfortunate that it only works for two scenarios (the third one adds a Monster token to the bag).

I will try to adapt it to the actual game play once I have a chance to play it myself, but I guess "monster" is the token originally unused. In this case just add "n" to the bag contents in the link: http://chaosbag.retrobox.eu/#jiihhhggfepplmokn&Standard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very nice implementation.
Running it on my mobile device (Moto X, running android, using Dolphin Browser), the displayed symbol appears outside of the initially loaded area (so you have to slide it over and up to see it fully).
Do you have any intent to add some more menus to customize the dice bag or pick from a list as more scenarios are released/updated? I know how I would like that menu to work, but I don't know if you want that feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
Running it on my mobile device (Moto X, running android, using Dolphin Browser), the displayed symbol appears outside of the initially loaded area (so you have to slide it over and up to see it fully).

Try now. I think some android 4.x phones will not accept now standard css styling.
jayelbird wrote:
Do you have any intent to add some more menus to customize the dice bag or pick from a list as more scenarios are released/updated? I know how I would like that menu to work, but I don't know if you want that feedback.

Of course you are welcome to provide feedback. I write it for myself primarily so I will keep it updated as long as I have interest in this game and time available. Choosing scenarios is on top of my list, but I have to wait for more information to have an idea about the requirements. For now you can customize the bag by modifying the link yourself, the format is "#<bag contents>&<bag name>".
Each token in the bag contents is represented by a letter between a and k.

I also plan to have the second token randomized automatically for the first campaign hard and expert modes cultist draw.

Another thing to add is full customization of the bag at any time (especially if such thing can be triggered by the game itself mid-scenario). For that I plan to add a "pencil" edit icon in the top right of the screen which gets you to a content customization screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!
I'd like to see three things:
1) an 'i' button that displays the current content of the bag
2) this page could also contain a legend of token letters
3) this page could also contain a text box where I can write the string of letters for the bag. Pushin the 'ok' button will reload the page with the entered string. It's not as nice as a graphic interface, but I guess it would be much quicker to implement.

If you decide to go to a more graphic interface, even a list or grid of tokens, where each one has a text box where you input the quantity for that token, could be enough.

Good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nutki wrote:
jayelbird wrote:

Try now. I think some android 4.x phones will not accept now standard css styling.

It works perfectly now. Thanks.

nutki wrote:
jayelbird wrote:

Of course you are welcome to provide feedback. I write it for myself primarily so I will keep it updated as long as I have interest in this game and time available. Choosing scenarios is on top of my list, but I have to wait for more information to have an idea about the requirements. For now you can customize the bag by modifying the link yourself, the format is "#<bag contents>&<bag name>".
Each token in the bag contents is represented by a letter between a and k.

I also plan to have the second token randomized automatically for the first campaign hard and expert modes cultist draw.

Another thing to add is full customization of the bag at any time (especially if such thing can be triggered by the game itself mid-scenario). For that I plan to add a "pencil" edit icon in the top right of the screen which gets you to a content customization screen.

I'd like to see a selection style for picking scenarios: Have along the top a set of small buttons for the difficulty levels. You push a button and it stays highlighted. Then you scroll below that through a list of the scenarios. When you click one of those, you are taken to the bag preloaded with what you need for that difficulty and scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
I'd like to see a selection style for picking scenarios: Have along the top a set of small buttons for the difficulty levels. You push a button and it stays highlighted. Then you scroll below that through a list of the scenarios. When you click one of those, you are taken to the bag preloaded with what you need for that difficulty and scenario.

I was thinking something similar. For now I just uploaded a version that is simple and, while there is only one scenario available, good enough.
Vittek wrote:
If you decide to go to a more graphic interface, even a list or grid of tokens, where each one has a text box where you input the quantity for that token, could be enough.
If I will ever add bag edit feature it will be probably a grid of tokens with identical tokens in each row and the ones not in the bag grayed out. You will be able to click on them to add/remove. This is not my priority though as it doesn't seem to be required to play the game by the standard rules (which I can actually do now as my copy arrived earlier today).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nutki wrote:
This is not my priority though as it doesn't seem to be required to play the game by the standard rules (which I can actually do now as my copy arrived earlier today).

The way I see it, there is no standard chaos bag composition. You will notice that the bag content are not defined in the rulebook, but on the campaing guide. Each campaign will feature at least 4 different difficulty levels of bags, and also during 8 scenarios there will be more additions and subtractions like for the 3rd scenario of the core set.
So I hope you will still be updating the site with various bags 20 Deluxes from now, but if I were you, I'd like a site to be is 'fire and forget' where people can create any bag possible. So even if one day you will stop updating it for any reason, the site remains relevant and active.
Thank you again for your work! It's really appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
I added this now.
Vittek wrote:
So I hope you will still be updating the site with various bags 20 Deluxes from now, but if I were you, I'd like a site to be is 'fire and forget' where people can create any bag possible. So even if one day you will stop updating it for any reason, the site remains relevant and active.
I added editing as well. Either way the site is completely client side, so anybody can copy and host it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nutki wrote:
While waiting for my copy to arrive, I wrote a simple Chaos Bag simulator.

Really cool, but i find the "rolling" animation to be somewhat out of place here. Drawing a chit is a "sudden" thing - you don't see various options fly by like you do with dice. Thus i recommend a visual transition which emphasizes that. e.g. fade out the old image (if any) and show the new one with no fade-in (i.e. it appears "all of the sudden").

Bookmarked, in any case!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, thanks!
The animation is fine for me, it lets you see the site is working, even if you draw two times in a row the same chit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vittek wrote:
Very nice, thanks!
The animation is fine for me, it lets you see the site is working, even if you draw two times in a row the same chit.

Being able to see that it actually did something is why i suggest a fade out of the old one (no pun intended!), but the "shuffling" animation is kinda jarring in this context - it's too dice-like, IMO. Maybe a "flip" or slide out/in combo animation would be more suitable.

That's just a matter of taste, of course, for which there is no accounting. It functions, which is really the important bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Body
msg tools
Hmmm...I'm getting some very unlikely results.

I've tried a couple groups of 30 test draws. The Gathering, standard difficulty.

7(!) elder signs
6 red tentacles
6 cultists
6 skulls
3 tablets
4 -3s
4 -4s
1 -2
1 -1
2 0s

I had a similar pattern on future 30 group draws. Zeroes and -1s should be the most common, but they were drawn the least. One of a kind tokens were drawn way more, with elder signs getting drawn more than anything else. In total around 100 draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fahbs2000 wrote:
I had a similar pattern on future 30 group draws. Zeroes and -1s should be the most common, but they were drawn the least. One of a kind tokens were drawn way more, with elder signs getting drawn more than anything else. In total around 100 draws.

This is not what I experience. I did automatic testing with 1 million draws and the distribution was as expected. Also trying manually 30 draws, I will not get more that 3 elder signs. In the end this depends upon the random number generator in your browser. Which browser do you use? Maybe I will be able to reproduce it then (I use Firefox on Windows Desktop and Chrome on Android personally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.