Subject: Popular Mechanics and the 45 Best New Board Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite sure how they define "new" because there are a few on here that have been out for a couple years. In any case, click the link below to read what Popular Mechanics has to say and then feel free to post your own opinions on what you think they got right, what they got wrong, and what game(s) you think should have made the cut.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/gaming/g18/15-best-n...

Personally, I'm a huge fan of both Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game and The Voyages of Marco Polo, not so much on Blood Rage though. I'd have loved to have seen The Networks listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takes some nerve to include Secret Hitler in an article going to the unconditioned masses...

Pete (wonders how they'll react)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mildly interesting Myth is listed again as it was when it came out and there's no mention of it being version 2.0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
plezercruz wrote:
Takes some nerve to include Secret Hitler in an article going to the unconditioned masses...

Shitty theme, pretty novel game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
Not quite sure how they define "new" because there are a few on here that have been out for a couple years........

....... I'd have loved to have seen The Networks listed.
Hmm, perhaps it was too new?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a horrible list -- they may mean "new to the average PM reader"

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a pretty impressive list for a non-boardgaming media outlet! There are even some games I did not know about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Geez, that's an adrific site!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Adam
msg tools
That was a great read.

Unfortunately my Amazon wishlist is now about 45 items larger cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting to see Forbidden Stars on the list considering it's OOP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in the HECK did they pull the prices for the games in that article? That alone would scare off anyone from looking any further than that article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Pff, none of these even make my top 10 of the last 2 years. Try again Popular Mechanics.

Probably better leading with Codenames. Scythe's more accessible than some things listed, but it's still an intimidating game to look at for most people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A list with some actual games on it, refreshing, even if they did lead with scythe (colour me unimpressed i suppose)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
morris9597 wrote:
Not quite sure how they define "new" because there are a few on here that have been out for a couple years........

....... I'd have loved to have seen The Networks listed.
Hmm, perhaps it was too new?

I mean they listed Scythe and that came out maybe a month before The Networks. It didn't receive nearly the hype that Scythe did though so that may be a contributor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Morstein
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Odd but strangely enthralling, Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a reminder of how fun but weird German-made games can be.

Even more odd, since that's an American-made game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
alkamo wrote:
Quote:
Odd but strangely enthralling, Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a reminder of how fun but weird German-made games can be.

Even more odd, since that's an American-made game...

Even more odder, since its not particularly fun.. (IMHO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Given recent events, they'd probably complain that the game would be better if Hitler got to loudly declare who he is from the very start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a wonderful resource. I can hardly wait for the best games lists from Good Housekeeping and Sunset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
"Have a friend and an infinite amount of free time? Then you're almost ready to play Star Wars: Rebellion. You're just going to need more time."

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glitchy Predator
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The up a little in my mouth that they included myth. what a disaster that have is. New gamers really shouldn't ever look at it. Disaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bru Ticus
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's great to see Popular Mechanics writing about board games. I like a bunch of the games & even have some of them for trade or sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Thwaites
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I found the article an interesting read, but a little disturbing. Since Popular Mechanic is based primarily around Tech, there's definitely going to be crossover into gamers, but you would think they would focus less on time intensive/super involved games, and address games that would be easier for the majority of their audience to get in to. There are many more examples of easy to learn and fun games that still use newer mechanics. Good job on their part for branching out a little more, but I think it would be better for them to start at a little more of an introductory level for their audience. Maybe they should have only had 2 or 3 games that take longer than an hour to play.
Also, the descriptions they gave of many of the games would not attract me to play them, and would probably scare off most of their audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chrisoc13 wrote:
The up a little in my mouth that they included myth. what a disaster that have is. New gamers really shouldn't ever look at it. Disaster.

disaster? my first exposure to Myth was 2.0 and, despite my lack of imagination, I found the game to be an excellent dungeon crawler. I should mention I played it solo and learned it from the rulwbook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisoc13 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
Pff, none of these even make my top 10 of the last 2 years. Try again Popular Mechanics.

Probably better leading with Codenames. Scythe's more accessible than some things listed, but it's still an intimidating game to look at for most people.

Pff back at you. These are some highly rated games. Pretty impressive for a mainstream magazine. I own 12 of them and 2 of them (bolded) are in my top 10 ever.

Myth - 6.8
Scythe - 8.3
Falling Sky - 8.2
Mombasa - 8.0
Grand Austria Hotel - 7.7
Thunder and Lightning - 7.4
Star Wars Rebellion - 8.5
Quadropolis - 7.5
Stronghold 2ed - 7.9
Secret Hitler - 7.5
Spaceteam - 6.7
Codenames - 7.9
Pandemic Legacy - 8.6
Blood Rage - 8.2
Time Stories 8.1
Tiny Epic Galaxies - 7.3
504 - 6.6
Forbidden Stars - 8.1
7 Wonders Duel - 8.2
Mysterium - 7.5
The Gallerist - 8.1
Voyages of Marco Polo - 8.0
Sapiens - 6.7
The Game - 6.8
One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak - 7.6
Fief: France 1429 - 7.5
Specter Ops - 7.4
Super Motherload - 7.6
Elysium - 7.4
Jarl - 7.1
Operation Faust - 6.5
Sheriff of Nottingham - 7.3
Quantum - 7.3
Star Realms - 7.6
Five Tribes - 7.8
King of New York - 7.2
Camel Up - 7.1
Splendor - 7.5
Dead of Winter - 7.9
Istanbul - 7.6
Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. Xmen - 7.3
Heroes of Normandie - 7.7
Smash Up Science Fiction Double Feature - 7.4
Imperial Settlers - 7.6
Castles of Mad King Ludwig - 7.8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.