BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Sweetest deals and how you got them? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
I think the best deal I got was on ebay bidding, 3 months ago. Kemet for €12.45 inc. Shipping. Great game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Huber Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to snag Space Hulk (fourth edition) a couple years ago for $45 at my FLGS. I still have no clue why it was marked down, but I wasn't going to complain.

And that is quite the deal for Kemet, I'm jealous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the first edition of a local con a little while ago, I picked up a, by the look of it punched but never played, demo-copy of Through the Desert for 5€ I think that's my sweetest deal so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up a sealed copy of Modern Art(one of the good versions) for $5(Kijiji.ca) canadian. I thought that was pretty good.

Sealed copy of Wits n Wagers for $1(Thrift Store).

Sealed copy of Apples to Apples for $1(Garage Sale). Sold it for $20.

Edit: Forgot to add how I got them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A complete set of first edition, brown box D&D manuals for something like $4 at a thrift store. Sold it on Ebay for ~$425.

Also, this set of HeroScape stuff on Ebay.

Oh, and there was the copy of Cleopatra and the Society of Architects that I bought at a thrift store for $1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory To Rome blackbox for 30 euro two years ago.
It was posted in the hot deals forum, I hurried and ordered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah- almost forgot. I snagged two copies of Clash of Cultures: Civilizations from my FLGS for MSRP a few months back. Sold one for ~100 and kept the other one for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Foley
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravensberger copy of Tikal from Goodwill for 3 dollars. Never punched, tiles are thinner than later versions but still great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got Forbidden Stars for $27 a month ago. $62 on Amazon, then they screwed up the shipping and I got a $35 refund out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
9 years ago, got Samurai for $20 because it had a "discount crease" on the box.

Nightfall and 4 expansions back in 2013/4 for 80% off list prices because the website was doing a clear out sale.

Roll Through Ages and Rattlebones for 60% off list prices since TimeWellSpent.com owner was retiring.

Battlestar Galactica for $24 because for some reason, Fantasy Flight Games for some reason initially marked the list price as $40 instead of $50 Borders had their "40% off one item" coupon to use on top of that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I like getting deals... lets see:

Labyrinth for $2 at a thrift store was a good deal.

Betrayal at House on the Hill for $10 NIS from someone on offerup - got this one just this week.

Galaxy Trucker unpunched for $25, and The Red Dragon Inn like new for $5 both at a garage sale.

But the best ever was Space Alert like new for $0 from a very kind person on craigslist. No, I didn't have to do anything shady to get it, I just told the guy I usually play with 2 ppl and didn't want to pay too much to check out the game, so he gave it to me for free with the promise that once I'm done with it I'll pay it forward for free as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a trove of games at a local thrift store - all Avalon Hill games from the 70's & 80's, including two copies of AMBUSH!, Squad Leader plus 2 expansions and 15 other old AH titles. Got'em all for $80.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up Key Harvest for $3 off of BGG Market Place. Seller is going to bring it to BGGcon which I'll have a buddy pick up for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Wormaap wrote:
At the first edition of a local con a little while ago, I picked up a, by the look of it punched but never played, demo-copy of Through the Desert for 5€ I think that's my sweetest deal so far.

5€...wow that's for nothing! And it's a high ranked game too, even though I've never heard of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ruley
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many but most have been thrifts. My favorites are

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) for $6 in excellent condition from a thrift store.

We the People for $1 at a yard sale in an old barn. Unplayed, in great condition.

Ra for $2 at a thrift store.

Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie for $2 at a thrift store. Not complete, but close enough.

Ticket to Ride for $3 at Goodwill.

I have got many more, but those are probably my best deals. Thrifting is awesome, but you never know what you will end up with and you have to be persistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrabbedLord of the Rings: The Confrontation (Deluxe version) for $3 at a thrift store. Still not sure how good a deal this is--nobody wants to play the game.

Also got Takenoko for like $15 shipped from Target by using some fairly complicated discount code wizardry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best deal. I bought a guys Magic collection for $400. It had a Black Lotus and a Mox Ruby in it. Plus a bunch of dual lands and more good stuff. I sold a bunch of my and his stuff to recoup the cost and kept the good stuff. Since the Lotus alone is worth a couple thousand now I certainly came ahead in that deal.

I also once traded a Juzam Djinn for a Mox Emerald. That was pretty sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh, I also got Doomtown: Reloaded for $8 and Five Tribes for $10 from Barnes & Noble clearance sales earlier this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
GrabbedLord of the Rings: The Confrontation (Deluxe version) for $3 at a thrift store. Still not sure how good a deal this is--nobody wants to play the game.

I want to play it! But I don't live near you. I introduced it to my friend. We played twice, once taking each side. I won both times. I don't think my friend wants to see it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Deep Space D-6
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm $14 eBay, this was also the time period where it was rare and hard to find.
13 Dead End Drive $9 thrift store
Star Trek: Five-Year Mission $8 Target clearance
Myth: Pantheons $5 Miniature Market holiday clearance
Buck Rogers: Battle for the 25th Century Game $30 thrift store - I'm told this was a good deal. Was it?
Monopoly Deal Card Game $2 Walmart clearance, picked up a bunch of copies. Made great gifts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$10 for the Viticulture/Tuscany original set in the wine box. It has a crushed corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
40 Wings of Glory aircraft for $180 shipped. The WWII stuff is very hard to find. A guy was looking to liquidate on Bartertown, I gave him his price.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight was selling off copies of Gears of War for $10 a few years ago. I have been kicking myself ever since because I only bought one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
The other day I go for the first time into a shop in Tokyo and spot a used copy of Shadows over Camelot: The Card Game, which I've been thinking of getting for some time, for 1500 Yen (about $14). I'm like "That's too cheap, there must be something missing or bad components", so I ask the store clerk to open it for me: it was brand new ! No shrink obv, but the cardboard pieces were unpunched and the cards still in plastic. Plus Japanese rules on top of all the rest. Surely not my best deal ever, but definitely very sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of Ticket to Ride Europe from a UK Charity shop for a measly 2 Pounds. Still shrink-wrapped. That was a very nice find. I also picked up a (used) copy of first Edition Talisman the same way for the same price.

Whilst I'm sure it doesn't count, a friend of mine used to occasionally get a discount at our old FLGS based on the fact that I knew the manager and occasionally helped out. He'd pitch up with his purchases and ask if he qualified for a "Kev-Discount". It was so brazen the first time out, he got away with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.