Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Help me find rsealable bags for microgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paradox Games
msg tools
I'm working on a few games in the Metagaming Microgames fromat, with 4x7 counter sheets, boards and instruction booklets. However, I can't find 4x7 resealable bags to contain them. Every bag that claims to have in interior edimension of 4x7 are actually the outer dimensions, and one was even 1/8" smaller than the advertized size.

It seems that bags should be 4 1/8" by 7 1/2" or a similar size. The only such bags I saw this size are gusseted bottom bags.

So, where do the microgame companies get their just over 4x7" bags? This size recently was used for the 35th Anniversary of Steve Jackson's OGRE. Is there anyone who can help? Are there other solutions, like 4x7xhalf inch plastic cases from early 1980s Steve Jackson games and such? If so, thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Boxes of "sandwich baggies"? They have 'diminished' overall from decades ago, so check into their relative comparative sizings for one another. Look around in "Crafts"-department for theirs of anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are close: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040003KS/ref=oh_aui_sear...

I have found things like this in craft stores/websites, especially when they deal with beads. Also, medical supply places have bags like this.

Good on you for Metagaming reference - I literally had every one of those ever printed in the late 70's/early 80's. No idea where they all went, but I dug them at the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paradox Games wrote:
I'm working on a few games in the Metagaming Microgames fromat, with 4x7 counter sheets, boards and instruction booklets. However, I can't find 4x7 resealable bags to contain them. Every bag that claims to have in interior edimension of 4x7 are actually the outer dimensions, and one was even 1/8" smaller than the advertized size.

It seems that bags should be 4 1/8" by 7 1/2" or a similar size. The only such bags I saw this size are gusseted bottom bags.

So, where do the microgame companies get their just over 4x7" bags? This size recently was used for the 35th Anniversary of Steve Jackson's OGRE. Is there anyone who can help? Are there other solutions, like 4x7xhalf inch plastic cases from early 1980s Steve Jackson games and such? If so, thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with the format, but what's the thickness of the contents intended for the bag? For a 4" x 7" object to fit in a 4" x 7" bag, it would have to be infinitely flat. If the contents are 1/8" thick, then you need to add 2 x (1/8") to both dimensions (not less to the smaller dimension, as you seem to have done above.) That would be 4 1/4" x 7 1/4" and leave absolutely no wiggle room, the components would have to be flexed to insert and remove them, just to get past the zipper. You'd probably safer with 5" x 8" which is a common size and would comfortably allow contents up to maybe a 3/8" thickness.

Have you measured the empty microgame bags with a ruler?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
my components are very flat. they add to about 1/8".

I have the games in 5x8 bags and I hate them.

the bag I measures was from a Car Wars expansion and it measures 4 1/4". The components are a little thicker than mine, about 3/16".

I've been scouring craft shops and the only one that was the perfect size was from Michael's, but they had gusseted bottoms and don't look right. I found the web site for the company that distributes to Michaels and checked their inventory, but nothing.

That Amazon site features 4x6 bags. I scoured Amazon and eBay but found nothing. I even ordered 4x7 bags from an ebay dealer and the bags themselves were 6 7/8 by 3 7/8!

I figure someone makes them since they were used in a 2012 edition of Ogre. Maybe I could ask Steve Jackson Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
I came up with a new solution: I went with 5x8" resealable bags, and just increased the size of the cover insert to match!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Next time you need a lot of special sized bags:

https://www.uline.com/cls_01/Bags-Poly-Plastic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
Thank you for that link! I actually requested several samples from Uline a week ago. None of the 4x7s fit the game; 4x7 were the outer dimensions. But I decided to think outside the bag and use 5x8s. At first I was adverse to the larger size, because everything was in the bag loosely. I wanted it to look professional even though this is a homemade game.

After I got out of my self-imposed restriction that all the components had to be 4x7, I re-made my cover page at 4 3/4 by 7 5/8, and it fits snugly in the 5x8 bag. Not only that, that piece can be left in the bag, and it actually makes removing the game board and instructions, which are still 4x7, a lot easier and less prone to creating dog-ear corners. The 8mm die fits nicely to the side of the other components very well, too!

The reason I wanted to succeed so strongly is because I wanted to try to design pocket micro-size games in the spirit of Metagaming concepts, and the first game in the series, called Pocket Proliferation!, is the guinea pig.

Thanks everyone. What a helpful community!

P.S.:
schemaman wrote:

Good on you for Metagaming reference - I literally had every one of those ever printed in the late 70's/early 80's. No idea where they all went, but I dug them at the time!

Since you were such a devoted player, which of these are your favorite(s)? I have a number of these and enjoy them much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Quote:
None of the 4x7s fit the game; 4x7 were the outer dimensions.

Good to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Rich
msg tools
https://www.discountplasticbags.com/zip-lock/ has bags of all sizes and thicknesses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.