Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: O20.3.2 attack hindrances wife ruling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
One extra bonus to falling in love with a game is seeing a whole new competitive side to your wife. ( not to mention hearing comments like 'is it not combat commander night tonight sweetie?')

We are midway through a game and a situation arose where a fire group had a clear sight to a target but an extra unit could be added to increase the group fp by 1 more but they were hindered by orchard (2). She was not happy with this and tried to insist the wording of the rule could be interpreted as the 'shot' in question could mean each individual contribution to the group, I.e the extra unit would contribute plus 1 to the group but minus 2 hindrance or -1 i.e. That unit cannot in fact be added to the fire group since its 'shot' has failed to achieve a positive FP.

I told her that the rule as written means if you did include that extra shooter you'd simply add 1 to the fire group FP total but then remove 2 as that then becomes the new maximum hindrance of any piece in the group.

I told her it didn't matter because in either case you'd ignore adding that extra piece but she wouldn't back down anyway because she said it felt unfair that she could add a unit firing to a group and make its firepower total go down.

Can you please convince her I am right, and feel free to query on the soundness of lobbing 105mm artillery at a range of 2 hexes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how did something happen.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct however this one may easily be a case of winning the battle and losing the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. One can argue about what's "realistic", "fair", etc, but the rules seem clear on this.

If she wants a rationale for it, consider the game to be saying that the hindrance makes it pointless to add that other unit since it doesn't have a clear shot anyway, and the fact that it would formally make the total fp worse is just the game strongly hinting that to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks! Don't worry I think I've got the hooks in her, it helps that she seems to have a knack for winning, I'm currently hanging on by a thread on 1 VP but my hidden objective gives her 1VP but I have the initiative card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We came across this exact sort of situation, and I didn't figure it out for 10 games.

You are both right, in a way. It seems anti-thematic, but if you add the piece to the group, it would indeed be a negative loss to the fire-power.

But fret not Mrs. Horseman!
You can make TWO (or more) firing groups. They need not fire together. That way the hindrance only affects one of the pieces. I don't have the rules in front of me, but if you look at the section about making fire groups and read it slowly and literally, this becomes clear.

One Fire order can activate a number of units (using normal leader command rules) and these activated units can form any combination of fire groups and/or fire individually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Is it not Combat Commander night tonight sweetie?"

Glorious !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Trad

Alexandria
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With people in general, and spouses in particular, it is best to give something while you take something. This can be translated as, "You are right, except in the case of..."

When a FG has one piece uphill, the entire shot gets +1

When one part of a FG shoots around a wall/hedge/fence the obstacle is ignored.

But, in the case of hindrance, this is not equally true.

You have to be strong on this point. The situation comes up constantly. I don't mean the FG...

[as to arty, if you don't mind it does not matter... Or if you are a hero. They give zero Fs]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Well, here's a thing. Why does the extra unit only add one fp to the overall score in the first place?

If she can except the logic of that then why not an overall -1 for adding a new unit to the fire group.

Personally accepting these types of abstractions/design fudges is all part and parcel of the hobby. To question is like questioning why America voted in Trump as president. It just leads to madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BoJack Horseman wrote:
feel free to query on the soundness of lobbing 105mm artillery at a range of 2 hexes

There was a post somewhere in the CC forum about lobbing arty fire on top of your own hex. Imagine if you were in a bunker surrounded by the enemy... If you want justification I visited the Merville battery in Normandy and the guns had pre marked out targets, some of these targets were their own gun positions. More than likely if these positions were over ran but it could be possible to fire on that position while friendly units were still around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
BoJack Horseman wrote:
feel free to query on the soundness of lobbing 105mm artillery at a range of 2 hexes

There was a post somewhere in the CC forum about lobbing arty fire on top of your own hex. Imagine if you were in a bunker surrounded by the enemy... If you want justification I visited the Merville battery in Normandy and the guns had pre marked out targets, some of these targets were their own gun positions. More than likely if these positions were over ran but it could be possible to fire on that position while friendly units were still around.

In the CC:Vietnam version, you'll be able to Napalm yourself!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
"It burns usssss."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe something along the lines of all units in the firing group would have been coordinated and assigned to target an area in the target hex and the extra unit's assigned area gets off lighter than had an open LOS unit been assigned to it instead.

Just a thought, good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.