flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
After Action Report by Rune Priest Njall of the Wolf Guard
In Orbit Around *****
848.M41

After boarding the space hulk, we proceeded to clear the area around the void lock of xenos combatants with bolter fire and Sergeant Gunnar's plasma. We laid down suppressing fire as we advanced. Our melee fighters, Brothers Vulpern, Luther, and Vortigern, fended off any xenos that approached too closely. As we entered the dark catacombs in the depths of the hulk, we trapped the door behind us to thin the xenos ranks.

As we passed through the catacombs, we easily fended off the harassing xenos attacks. As the xenos pressed the attack, I called forth a mighty thunderclap, slaying a half-dozen of the creatures. We quickly moved into the Wrath of Baal Chapel and secured the sacred artifact therein.

Here, perhaps sensing their imminent defeat, the xenos assault grew again in intensity. Wolf Priest Sigurd, Sergeant Gunnar, and Brother Luther were separated from us in the throng. We proceeded into the launch control room, assured from the sound of bolter fire and glow of plasma that our brethren would stop the xenos at the door while we executed the final step of our mission.

As the first into the room, I prepared the launch codes on the console. The xenos assault surged a final time as they found another way into the launch control room. As we were about to be overwhelmed, Brother Vortigern took to the console. The machine spirit was wroth with the xenos intrusion and slow to respond, but Brother Vortigern's persistent ministrations becalmed the machine spirit.

With the launch activated, we ceded the room to the xenos. Proceeding back along our course of ingress, we reunited with our brethren and fought our way back to the void lock. Returning to our Caestus Assault Ram, we departed the dying hulk with our mission accomplished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How come in Star Trek, Star Wars, and apparently Space Hulk, folks can just saunter up to a computer console on an alien space ship, and casually enter complex coded instructions, while under attack. But, I can't enter the right user name and password when my email decides it's time to take a time out?

Nice after action report. I kept expecting something really bad to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Congrats for the nice report! I am glad that you played with the Wolf Guard and enjoy writing this story about their trip!

I am surprised by the effectiveness of Thunder Clap: 6 kills! I designed it considering this possibility, but in all my playtesting I really never went beyond 3 kills (4 at most in very lucky cases).

I am also concerned whether Mechadendrites capacities (do Space Wolves Iron Priests have mechadendrites as other Chapters' Technomarines?) may make things too easy in some cases (maybe one might need to spend a ST to reroll).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
In Warhammer 40k a lot of computers are automated, but if there is any controls or code to be input then it is treated like a religious mantra. They believe in the "machine spirit" and memorise rites to appease it. So often they do not truly understand how things work, they just repeat what has been taught. For example, instead of just oiling and loading a gun, they might memorise a prayer of "apply the sacred oils, then provide the holy bolts" etc. Not a good example of their prayers, but gives you an idea of how they do things in 40k. So putting a code in a console is actually serious business - you do not want to anger the machine god!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And this differs from my personal relationship with my infernal computer how?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
And for anyone wondering why I have space wolves in a session of a game named after the Death Angels... I'm playing with the fantastic fan-made wolf guard expansion by
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
mfenici wrote:
I am surprised by the effectiveness of Thunder Clap: 6 kills! I designed it considering this possibility, but in all my playtesting I really never went beyond 3 kills (4 at most in very lucky cases).

I may have remembered this slightly wrong, or Njall could be exaggerating or incorrect. There were three swarms about him, with a total of maybe 9 GS. I may have used Sigurd to set up this situation. I remember using the Sigurd/Njall combo at least once during the game. I rolled well on this round, but other rounds had less luck with his attack. Njall and Gunnar were my heavy hitters in this game. Sigurd mostly helped me keep swarms in the right place. The attack powers seemed balanced, but I wouldn't want 3 teams of Sigurds.

Quote:
I am also concerned whether Mechadendrites capacities (do Space Wolves Iron Priests have mechadendrites as other Chapters' Technomarines?) may make things too easy in some cases (maybe one might need to spend a ST to reroll).

I thought they'd be useless until I flipped over the final room. I wondered about the Iron Priests and mechadendrites too but couldn't find anything one way or the other.

ZombieMark wrote:
How come in Star Trek, Star Wars, and apparently Space Hulk, folks can just saunter up to a computer console on an alien space ship, and casually enter complex coded instructions, while under attack. But, I can't enter the right user name and password when my email decides it's time to take a time out?
I figured this section of the hulk is an old Imperial Guard vessel. Either the IG suffered a GS infestation or they were involved in an earlier action regarding the hulk and were wiped out. Either way, it's imperial technology that the Wolf Guard have been using individually for hundreds of years (I assume WG would be at least 100 or 200 years old to earn the experience to qualify for the job).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
In Warhammer 40k a lot of computers are automated, but if there is any controls or code to be input then it is treated like a religious mantra. They believe in the "machine spirit" and memorise rites to appease it. So often they do not truly understand how things work, they just repeat what has been taught. For example, instead of just oiling and loading a gun, they might memorise a prayer of "apply the sacred oils, then provide the holy bolts" etc. Not a good example of their prayers, but gives you an idea of how they do things in 40k. So putting a code in a console is actually serious business - you do not want to anger the machine god!

And now Brothers let us awaken the Machine and touch the holy runes as we have been taught! "P...A...S...S...W...O...R...D..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
maldrak wrote:
And for anyone wondering why I have space wolves in a session of a game named after the Death Angels... I'm playing with the fantastic fan-made wolf guard expansion by
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb

Many thanks for such an effective advertising!laugh

maldrak wrote:
I may have remembered this slightly wrong, or Njall could be exaggerating or incorrect. There were three swarms about him, with a total of maybe 9 GS. I may have used Sigurd to set up this situation. ... Sigurd mostly helped me keep swarms in the right place. The attack powers seemed balanced, but I wouldn't want 3 teams of Sigurds.

9 GS is very hard to manage, Rune Priest Njal has been very effective.
Purple Team is really designed as an assistant team, and its capacity to replace enemy swarms if fundamental to the Wolf Guard, who has so much limited attack range... so, if Sigurd keeps swarms in the right place, that's his job! Other teams can manage them better than purple, who can nevertheless help with its own support as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.