Hide
4 Posts

Mythos» Forums » Rules

Subject: Curing Phobias, Random Cards, and Combat question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dark yeoman
msg tools
Last night a friend and I tried our first game of Mythos--well, technically my second or third, as I played it a few times in the 1990s, but I can't remember anything of the game back then, other than that I thought it was very complicated

Throughout the game we kept having to refer back to the rules, often to realise that we'd been playing wrongly all along! It was fun, though, and I think we've now got the basic rules down.

However, there are a few things that are still unclear to us, that I was hoping some of you could clarify:

1. If a location says that you can get rid of a Phobia for each turn that you stay there, does this mean that curing yourself of a Phobia is an act you need to make (and therefore can not do anything else that turn, like play an Ally, flip a card, etc.)? Or is a Phobia automatically cured each turn as long as that location is on the top of your Story Deck, whether you perform another action or not?

2. Some cards let you do something with a "random" card. If the card is in a deck, that is easy to do--just pick a random card from it. But what if this specifies a "random" defending Ally, for example? Does this mean the player who plays that card gets to chose to which defending Ally this applies, or do we need to make that choice random, by rolling a dice or something like that? We've been doing the former, but that isn't quite "random".

3. In Combat, when I defend with an Ally of 3 points against a Monster of 2, does the Ally get buried, even though he has 1 extra point left? The rules imply this, but this seems a little strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkyeoman wrote:

1. If a location says that you can get rid of a Phobia for each turn that you stay there, does this mean that curing yourself of a Phobia is an act you need to make (and therefore can not do anything else that turn, like play an Ally, flip a card, etc.)? Or is a Phobia automatically cured each turn as long as that location is on the top of your Story Deck, whether you perform another action or not?

Yes; you must remain there doing nothing for a turn.

dark yeoman wrote:
2. Some cards let you do something with a "random" card. If the card is in a deck, that is easy to do--just pick a random card from it. But what if this specifies a "random" defending Ally, for example? Does this mean the player who plays that card gets to chose to which defending Ally this applies, or do we need to make that choice random, by rolling a dice or something like that? We've been doing the former, but that isn't quite "random".

Make it random with a die roll.

dark yeoman wrote:
3. In Combat, when I defend with an Ally of 3 points against a Monster of 2, does the Ally get buried, even though he has 1 extra point left? The rules imply this, but this seems a little strange.

Yes if I remember… any damage results in burial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
1: Removing the phobia is the only action allowed.

2: Gather the cards, shuffle under the table, ask another player to pick one.

3: The Ally is buried, although some cards can mitigate this (Magic Spear, for instance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
Thank you both. This helps. It makes the game a bit harder, but that is part of the fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.