Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
El Mythico was a famous PBM game a few decades ago. I believe it's still being run in France. Basically it was a Guerillas vs Regulars war, set in a fictional Banana Republic during the Cold War.

Does anyone know of a (war)game that comes close to this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokke wrote:
El Mythico was a famous PBM game a few decades ago. I believe it's still being run in France. Basically it was a Guerillas vs Regulars war, set in a fictional Banana Republic during the Cold War.

Junta: Viva el Presidente! - it's the more streamlined edition of the older Junta

Cuba Libre - one of the more playable COIN games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Colgan
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Guerilla. In this card game, each player can simultaneously play govt and guerilla forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Junta: Viva el Presidente! - it's the more streamlined edition of the older Junta

Cuba Libre - one of the more playable COIN games.

Of Junta I own the original version. That's always been great fun, but it was not really "bugfree" on the rules side of things. I must check what's changed in the later version.

Cuba Libre I have on my wish list.

Thanks Eddy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Breaker wrote:
Maybe Guerilla. In this card game, each player can simultaneously play govt and guerilla forces.

I own a copy, but it's not really what I'm looking for.
I guess what I really want is a wargame pur sang.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokke wrote:

Of Junta I own the original version. That's always been great fun, but it was not really "bugfree" on the rules side of things. I must check what's changed in the later version.

Well, it comes with a pair of sunglasses which "el presidente" must wear (and which counts as a victory point at game end) - which is gimmicky as hell, but a pretty cool thing if you play it up a bit during the game cool

More importantly the game was made shorter and more streamlined - as the original drags a bit, this is a good thing. But the thing you need to know is that this game will fall flat with heavy eurogamers - you need an ameritrash/party type of group to play it with. Also, there's very little depth to this game, there are no deep strategies and nothing much to discover after a couple plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Pokke wrote:

A couple of candidates:

Insurgency - sole published game design from Blake W.H. Smith. Smith worked for AID as an area development officer in the Sadec province of Vietnam in 1967 and 1968. Although Insurgency uses a fictitious setting, and the artwork evokes a Central American feel, the game is based on the designer's experiences in Vietnam. See my capsule review and component manifest article for more info.

National Liberation Front - by Larry Harris, designer of Axis & Allies. Like Insurgency, the setting is a generic modern guerrilla conflict. Features an ingeniously elegant hidden movement mechanic for the guerrilla forces. See my capsule review and component manifest article for more info. Brian Train also posted a few comments about the game, noting "I have played many games on guerrilla warfare and this one has some unusual features indeed."

Although old and obscure, multiple copies of each are currently listed for sale in the marketplace! (EDIT: To be specific, the BGG marketplace!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Both Insurgency and National Liberation Front are interesting, and quite clever, but difficult to get hold of.
Are you looking for games on the guerrilla/regulars dynamic, or is it the generic/ fictional setting you are looking for?

I've designed a number of the former ( Brian Train) but never published one that took place in a fictional country.
A while back I designed an operational-level counterinsurgency game system I called District Commander, and tested it in a generic "Red vs. Blue" module before working on modules for Algeria, Vietnam and Afghanistan.
Haven't published this yet due to lack of time, been working on other projects.

Other games I designed that are in fictional countries are Power Play, to be revised and re-released as Palace Coup, and the forthcoming Caudillo, a card/ cube game on power politics in a thinly-disguised post-Chavez Venezuela.

Two I designed on the irregular/regular dynamic are the abstract games Army of Shadows and Uprising; even more abstract is the freely available Guerrilla Checkers.

Geeklists that might interest you:

Nameless Nations: A List of Generic Wargames
Insurgency and terrorism
Of Politics and War

Have fun,

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
ltmurnau wrote:

Both Insurgency and National Liberation Front are . . . difficult to get hold of.

I was going to add that very disclaimer to my post until I checked and saw multiple copies of each currently listed for sale right here on BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks all,

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for.
I don't even know if it exists.

I'm aware of the Cuba Libre COIN game.
and I realise that asymmetric games (which probably matches almost all wargames) more or less fit my description.

I do know that I had a lot of fun playing El Mythico almost 20 years ago (OMG!) and I realise that most wargames don't have the Fog of War that a PBM game can have. One of my first games I played (right after Stratego, Risk, Scrabble and Monopoly) was Embuscades! and that was the same setting (be it a very simple game).

So I guess what I'm looking for is an Embuscades! like game (for the setting) with more Wargaming like gameplay. Which makes me wonder if maybe I have to check some of the more recent Vietnam-war games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.