Popular Tags: [View All]
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few questions on rules.

(1)What does it mean (under the heading Most military battlegrounds) to "Flip the Cuba Battleground at this point."?

(2)I understand that when placing or removing cubes from Battlegrounds the card must be moved one step toward or away from you sphere of influence. Does this include the Cuba battleground card? Or does it always stay in the neutral zone?

(3) Does the bidding for initiative take place at beginning of each turn, or just once at the beginning of the game?

(4) The rules don't state that there is a limit of the number of cubes on each battleground, but I assume there is a limit of 5 of each color (as it is in the 13 Days game). Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have interpreted rules as following

1 - You flip the card representing Cuba battleground (the facedown card) and see if it is military battleground (it is military battleground if it has orange DEFCON - Atomic symbol).
Then count all military battlegrounds (cards with orange DEFCON - Atomic symbol) and see who dominates most of them (including Cuba). The player with more military battlegrounds scores +1 point.

2 - Card representing Cuba battleground is treated same as other battlegrounds for placing/removing the influence (except that is facedown to keep battleground type in secret). And for scoring purposes is worth 2 points.

3 - I assume the bidding is only on turn 1 because influence cubes are removed from the game, so further applying of this rule in subsequent turns would lead to influence shortage.

4 - Yes limit is 5 cubes per battleground. For this i am pretty sure of, because it was stated previously in one thread on this forum.

Of course this is only my opinion - maybe the designers may clarify this further
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Skjold Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
neur0mancer wrote:
1 - You flip the card representing Cuba battleground (the facedown card) and see if it is military battleground (it is military battleground if it has orange DEFCON - Atomic symbol).
Then count all military battlegrounds (cards with orange DEFCON - Atomic symbol) and see who dominates most of them (including Cuba). The player with more military battlegrounds scores +1 point.

Correct.
You flip the card for 2 reasons. 1) To see if it is military. 2) Leave it face-up because it's DEFCON colour counts when checking for nuclear war later (assuming it is within your sphere of influence).

neur0mancer wrote:
2 - Card representing Cuba battleground is treated same as other battlegrounds for placing/removing the influence (except that is facedown to keep battleground type in secret). And for scoring purposes is worth 2 points.

Correct again.

neur0mancer wrote:
3 - I assume the bidding is only on turn 1 because influence cubes are removed from the game, so further applying of this rule in subsequent turns would lead to influence shortage.

I can confirm that.

neur0mancer wrote:
4 - Yes limit is 5 cubes per battleground. For this i am pretty sure of, because it was stated previously in one thread on this forum.

We are actually doing some last minute development, and this rule could go. It is an extra rule that is not needed here because there are no Agendas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question on bidding for initiative. I have played the game three times now, and don't really see that there is an advantage to having the initiative. Why is it important to go first? It even seems to me that having the last turn in the game is more important. I am obviously missing something here. Can you please explain what the advantage is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Skjold Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
No, you got it right. Going last is usually the better option.

The point is that the high bidder decides turn order, not automatically plays the first card. How much is it worth going last?whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You might want to go first if for example you are US and begin with Fidel Castro. You'd be able to get that card in play while not having the event triggered at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Skjold Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
rhinoceros wrote:
You might want to go first if for example you are US and begin with Fidel Castro. You'd be able to get that card in play while not having the event triggered at all.

Exactly! That is why I said "usually".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.