Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Wood
United Kingdom
Lytham St Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my copy of the game there were 3 blank tiles so I'm wondering how to use them. The game is set in Polynesia so I wondered about adding a new element to the game - Moai Statues (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moai). If I created a single tile island with Moai Statues on it/them how could that be used in the game? Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never viewed them as anything more than a manufacturing convenience in making the unpunched tile sets. In the event my copy suffers misfortune they could simply become replacement parts. While I lack motivation for anything further, others may be more inspired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mickwood wrote:
In my copy of the game there were 3 blank tiles so I'm wondering how to use them. The game is set in Polynesia so I wondered about adding a new element to the game - Moai Statues (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moai). If I created a single tile island with Moai Statues on it/them how could that be used in the game? Any ideas?

Good idea! A few quick ideas off the top of my head...

* Scores 0 itself, but adds +2 per blank water tile adjacent (includes diagonals).

* Scores 2, and permits tile drafting through/beyond the volcanoes

* Scores 0 itself, but the player gets another turn after playing to their board (not their reserve)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
In the event my copy suffers misfortune they could simply become replacement parts.

Yes, this -- I always like to see that extra tile in games like this, purely for the little bit of security of having a backup part. (A little suggestion for others who also view any blank spare tiles as potential replacement parts is to always mix those tiles in with the others when starting a game. Players simply place them aside and redraw when they find a blank, but that way they get the same amount of handling as the others and therefore don't have a different look or feel as the game is played and ages.)

But having said that, I also have had thoughts before about using blank tiles to make custom mini-expansions (homemade promos!), and I do like the idea here of a possible Maoi Statue island.

How about using it as a plus-and-minus thing so that it won't affect play or play balance much, but will still have decisions associated with taking or not taking it?

I'm thinking maybe something like this: The Statue tile gives one clam and one beneficial puff of wind (an extra movement point for the public boat that can be used one time only) as "favors from the gods", but the Statue tile itself can never be occupied by the player's boat once placed in the player's board, because the Statue Island is taboo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wood
United Kingdom
Lytham St Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded an image at http://boardgamegeek.com/image/3251248/maori

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mickwood wrote:

It's too cool and classy not to go ahead and show it here in the thread.

Great work, that really looks terrific! thumbsup

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wood
United Kingdom
Lytham St Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded a file with the images on for printing. There will also be a version 2 with 6 x 41 mm square tiles in case a few get damaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wood
United Kingdom
Lytham St Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id like their to be a minimum six options when this 'expansion' is played. If people have other ideas we could aim for rolling a D10.

At start of the game roll a D6 to pick the variation for that game.

1 - Simply score three points in end game scoring for playing the tile (there are 3 statues on the tile)

2 - Score 0 points for playing the tile itself, but add +2 per blank water tile adjacent (including diagonals) in end game scoring.

3 - Scores 3 for playing the tile itself AND permit tile drafting through/beyond the volcanoes.

4 - Scores 0 points for playing the tile itself BUT permits tile drafting through/beyond the volcanoes

5 - Scores 0 points for playing the tile itself. The player gets another turn after playing the tile to their board. Placing the tile in reserve does NOT allow another turn - only when it the tile is played from the reserve to the board does the extra turn apply.

6 - Placing the Statue tile on the board (not reserve) gives one extra shell. If using the game variants this tile ALSO provides one beneficial puff of wind allowing an extra movement point for the public boat that can be used one time only as a "favour from the gods". The Statue tile itself can never be occupied by the player's boat once placed in the player's board because the Statue Island is taboo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.