Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG V142: The Election of Gaius Baltar
6-Player All-Expansions Game to the Ionian Nebula
Includes a Cylon Leader, Final Fives, and Fleet-Balancing House Rules

Welcome to BSG V142: The Election of Gaius Baltar

Rules and Guidelines:

d10-1 In order to participate, you must own a copy of the base game and the Pegasus, Exodus, and Daybreak expansions,

per FFG request. If you need card text at some point, just GeekMail me.

d10-2 You are expected to subscribe to this thread and to check in at least once every 24 hours, preferably more.

Discussion between players is highly encouraged. However, if there's no active discussion, I'll remind you at 24 hours, and may make your move for you at 36. If this happens too much, I'll replace you. If you warn me or the thread about slow play, we'll be patient. =)

d10-3 All communication between players must occur in this thread ONLY. Follow typical play-by-forum conventions when posting.

This includes always making it clear what character you are speaking as by including an appropriate banner at the top of each post. Banners created by DukeOfEarl et al. are available here. If you are mobile, please type your character name in caps at the top of your post. Other pictures for adding flavor can be found in this compilation.

Courtesy of Mike Bonn, here's an amazing script that makes it super-easy to add those banners to your posts:
Mike_Bonn wrote:

1) Click on "Edit" on the top right of your screen to Edit your quick bar.

2) Chose an empty spot and fill label with "My Banner" and add the following text to the URL :

Quote:
javascript: (function() {var b = '[ImageID=xxxxxx medium]'; var t = document.getElementsByTagName('textarea')[0]; t.value = b+'\r\n'+t.value;})();

3) Replace "xxxxxx" with the ImageId you want to use as your banner. I used 565008 to generate the one in this post.

4) When you post, click on Reply/Quick Reply and then click on your Quick Bar Link. Presto!

It even works on mobiles, so no excuses not to use a banner!

Also, be sure to leave regular discussion in a plain font, in-character flavor text in italics, and actions you wish to take in bold. Be especially conscious of the bolding of your actions; I will not execute an action if it isn't bolded. If you're on mobile, saying "bold" (or close equivalents) before an action is sufficient.

d10-4 When sending me a GeekMail, please include the game number, your character name, and a description in the subject line.

Example: "BSG V142 (Starbuck): Admiral's Quarters Skill Check"

I am moderating several games; this will help me make fewer mistakes!

d10-5 Do not edit your posts.

Please do not go back and edit posts unless you are quickly fixing a typo immediately after posting. Instead, simply make a new post stating what you would have changed. This is to prevent confusion (both for me and your fellow players). Similarly, do not delete posts.

d10-6 Do not quote posts from more than one page back.

Just because you can go back and look doesn't mean it's cool to do so. In real life, you probably aren't keeping track *that* closely.

d10-7 Respect the secrecy rules.

I suggest everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ.
In particular, please make sure you don't:
* Say "medium" if you only played one card.
* Talk about scouted cards beyond good or bad.
* Identify what cards (or even what colors, or the exact strength) you played into a skill check, even implicitly.
* Volunteer what cards are in your hand (or ask about cards are in someone else's hand) unless it is relevant to the situation.
* Reveal exactly which Quorum cards you have.

Conditional Orders (COs)

1 Put in COs for pretty much anything. All COs should be sent to me via GeekMail, and be clearly labeled by having "CO" (and a description of what the CO is for) in the subject line.

2 Do not post public COs under any circumstances; this includes posting bold text when it is not your turn to act.

3 Under many circumstances, I will not wait for interrupts before executing actions. A full list of these circumstances is provided here.

4 TANKING: I will allow the use of "Tank" during the interrupt phase. This means "Pass on interrupts AND the check if everyone else passes." As soon as someone plays cards into the check, "Tank" is nullified; if a revealed Cylon play wouldn't change your plans, for example, you may want to also CO me an intention to pass on the check, as well. You may also declare "Tank" in public but CO cards to play in private. Those playing after you are free to assume you have passed, however; this is rarely an issue in practice.

Have fun out there!

Special Thanks

This is a play-by-forum game in the style established by ColtsFan76. Thanks go to him for starting this. Thanks also to Orphius, JasperHawk, and Mawkee for their work on the mod tools that will be used.

This introductory text is copied mostly from ed_hennessy via zelarvi, who helped get me into moderating these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

House Rules

This is a game with Exodus going to the Ionian Nebula, but we are not using the Cylon Fleet Board. While the CFB is technically optional in Ionian Nebula games, the expansion was always designed with the CFB in mind, and has some glaring flaws without it. As a result, I'm including some house rules to better balance this particular combination of expansions and optional rules.

These aren't set in stone; if anyone has some suggestions for improving them, let me know. (Should the civilians be placed in this manner? Is 6 CACs too many given Daybreak is a bit heavy on CACs?)

Civilians at the Battle for the Ionian Nebula

Without the CFB, the battle at 8 distance occurs with no Civilians on the board whatsoever, as they are all cleared with each jump. This is a problem, as you could easily get 24 Raider shots at Galactica during Crossroads. The solution is simple: add some Civilians.

The issue is then where to put them. If you put them by the launch tubes, they're automatically protected and Humans don't have to worry about them so much. If you put them elsewhere, they're easily killed if Raiders activate during Crossroads.

As a result, I think I'm going with this solution:

During "Set Up Battle of the Ionian Nebula," place 1 Civilian in Sector 5. Then roll a die, and place another Civilian accordingly:
1-2: Sector 4
3-4: Sector 1
5-6: Sector 6
7-8: Sector 5.

Cylon Attack Cards in Exodus

Exodus adds a whole bunch of new crises, but, understandably, no CACs, as it was meant to be played with the CFB--their place was taken by the "CAG Chooses" crises. When you play without the CFB, there are too few CACs as a result. This is made up for slightly by the Battle of the Ionian Nebula, but that still doesn't change the fact that this throws off the pacing of all the previous jump cycles. Compare Pegasus with New Caprica, which has an end battle but adds more CACs to the deck (although in that case you cannot get a CAC on top of the end battle).

I think the best solution here is to add 6 new CACs to the deck, replacing the 6 "CAG Chooses" crises that we'd otherwise throw out when not playing with the CFB. This may favor the Cylons slightly (especially given the risk of a CAC at 8 distance), but we'll see how it works out.

The 6 new CACs are:

Detente:
1) Activate Heavy Raiders.
2) Place Basestars in Sectors 1 & 6.
3) All Vipers in space areas are returned to the Reserves.

Raiders Inbound:
1) Activate Heavy Raiders.
2) Place 1 Basestar in Sector 3, 4 Raiders in each of Sectors 3 & 4, 2 Vipers in each of Sectors 5 & 6, 1 Civilian in each of Sectors 5 & 6.
3) The Admiral must discard 3 skill cards.

Return to Duty:
1) Activate Raiders.
2) Place 1 Basestar in Sector 3, 2 Heavy Raiders in Sector 1, 4 Raiders in Sector 1, 1 Civilian in Sector 6.
3) Any character on Galactica with piloting in his skill set may immediately launch themselves in a Viper.

Review Camera Footage:
1) Activate Basestars.
2) Place 1 Basestar in Sector 5, 1 Heavy Raider in Sector 1, 5 Raiders in Sector 5, 2 Vipers in Sector 6, 1 Civilian in each of Sectors 1, 2, & 6.
3) Damage 2 Vipers in the Reserves.

Tracked by Radiation:
1) Activate Basestars.
2) Place 1 Basestar in Sector 1, 3 Raiders in Sector 1, 2 Civilians in Sector 4.
3) Move the Fleet Marker back 1 space on the Jump Preparation Track.

Training a Rookie:
1) Activate Raiders.
2) Place 1 Basestar in Sector 1, 1 Heavy Raider in Sector 1, 5 Raiders in Sector 6, 3 Vipers in Sector 6, 1 Civilian in Sector 5.
3) -1 Food.

The last crisis puts a bit more pressure on Food, which is distinctly lacking in Exodus as it is.

Other House Rules

The character Helena Cain is not available for play.

You may not discuss any Allies on which you placed a Trauma Token, at all. In particular, you cannot say "it's good," "it's bad," suggest that a player meet that Ally or end their Movement Phase on the same location, or say that you will meet that Ally on your own turn.

EDIT (Turn 2.4): Boomer's Mysterious Intuition and Political Prowess may also be played during the normal interrupts phase of an appropriate skill check (i.e. when Scientific Research and the like would normally be played). If they are used after other people have played interrupts, those interrupts are returned to hand. Any player who plays another interrupt (e.g. Scientific Research) during that phase may no longer use Mysterious Intuition or Political Prowess on that skill check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Default COs

Most of this is old hat to you guys, but it may be useful to have my initial assumptions for interrupt-style abilities. Any of these can be changed by CO at any time. A link to this wall of text has been placed in the first post.

Athena's For Love: When anyone (except) Athena must discard, they should send me a CO with the card they would discard if Athena does not love them. When this discard is from moving between ships, you may leave a public CO for your action after the move.

Boomer's Recon: I'll assume you do this every turn.

Boomer's Mysterious Intuition: I'll assume you pass on this unless you CO me otherwise. We'll handle it as part of the regular interrupts phase of any crisis skill check; if you use it after other interrupts have been played those will be returned to hand. If you play an interrupt on a check, you may no longer use this on the same check.

Chief's Blind Devotion, Adama's Command Authority: I will automatically pass you on this unless you put in a CO otherwise.

Lee's Forward Thinker: I'll pause for this when applicable, though COs are highly encouraged. Public COs are fine if you're standing on the Quorum Chamber or President's Office.

I will tend to pass you on any interrupts you don't have. However, I may at times not do so in order to preserve secrecy; generally, I will not skip entirely any interrupts phase.

Skill Check Interrupts: Will pass automatically on any you don't have. If someone plays an interrupt, I will assume everyone else will be passing on the same interrupt unless they have a lower-valued one or are in the Brig. Additionally:
* If someone plays a equal or lower-valued copy of an interrupt you have, I will automatically pass you, unless you are in the Brig or over your hand limit.
* Scientific Research will be passed automatically if Engineering is positive.
* At Any Cost will be passed automatically for Airlock skill checks.
* Support the People will be passed automatically if no one would benefit.
* A Second Chance will be passed automatically if the current player could not possibly benefit.
* Restore Order will be passed automatically until any player draws Treachery, any extra Treachery is added to Destiny, or any player receives a Mutiny card.
* Chief of Staff will be passed automatically unless you CO me otherwise.
* Political Prowess will be handled concurrently with the regular interrupts phase; if it is used all other interrupts will be returned to hand.

Declare Emergency and Change of Plans: I will pass on these by default; you must put in a CO during the skill check to use these. For Change of Plans, this includes the case when someone uses Political Prowess to pass a skill check automatically; as this may happen without warning, I'd encourage you to put in a CO for this eventuality should you draw Change of Plans.

Strategic Planning: Unless you CO me otherwise, I will pass automatically on any:
* Launch Scout rolls as long as 2 or more Raptors are intact; in this case a public CO for whether you're checking Crisis or Destination is fine.
* attacks made by Vipers
* rolls that would help the Cylons.
* rolls where someone has already played a Strategic Planning.

Calculations: I will automatically pass on this unless you CO me otherwise (e.g. while people are playing/passing on Strategic Planning); as die rolls may happen without warning (especially if the player initiating the roll plays a Strategic Planning directly, or cylon ship activations from a CAC), you may want to put in a CO for when you'd like to pause to consider using it.

Evasive Maneuvers: Will be passed automatically unless
* the viper is destroyed,
* the viper is manned,
* the viper is the last ship protecting a civilian, or
* there are 2 or fewer undamaged vipers left.
Pilots may want to leave me a more detailed CO for when they would and would not use their Evasives.

Major Victory plays must be CO'd.

Best of the Best: play it directly if you want to use it on your own shot; to play it on other people's shots would require a CO.

Run Interference will be passed automatically unless three or more Raiders are attacking you.

If the order of raider activation cannot matter for the raider AI, I will activate the sectors in order, 1 through 6.

Public COs are fine for actions taken after meeting an Ally, unless the Ally outcome involves a die roll or requires you to make a public choice (e.g. Cain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Players:
Mr T 1977
Vorpalgens
Flamethrower49
Mawkee
drnlmza
zelarvi (tentatively)

If anyone else is interested, we might be able to squeeze you in; let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
The truth is still out there...
badge
Ïa! Ïa! Cthulhu fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking in

Thx! meeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Long time since I've played without CFB, and your rules intrigue me. I'll play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamethrower49 wrote:
Long time since I've played without CFB, and your rules intrigue me. I'll play.

Nice!

It's been a while since i played with you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Martins
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Hey, what are you trying to do??!
mbmbmbmbmb
This week I said I wanted to play against Kenneth. This is my chance :-)

Am I in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mawkee wrote:
This week I said I wanted to play against Kenneth. This is my chance :-)

Am I in?

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Muller
South Africa
Stellenbosch
Western Cape
flag msg tools
even if it's not
badge
I have a cunning plan that cannot fail.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's been ages since I've been in a variant game, I'll put a bid in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razel M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to play, but will give up my seat for someone who hasn't been in a game in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, with six (tenatively) signed up, I think we go on to character selection.

If anyone really wants zelarvi's slot (and she wants to give it up), you have until she picks a character to do so.

Rolling for order (highest goes first):

Mr T 1977 1d100 = (37) = 37
Vorpalgens 1d100 = (18) = 18
Flamethrower49 1d100 = (21) = 21
Mawkee 1d100 = (50) = 50
drnlmza 1d100 = (17) = 17
zelarvi 1d100 = (85) = 85

Oh, and since I didn't mention this before: no Cain (and secrecy rules are heightened when talking about Allies; see the House Rules post above).

Well, looks like zelarvi is first anyway. Take as long as you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 979148. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (37) =
  • Wed Nov 9, 2016 5:40 pm
  • [+]
  • 979149. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (18) =
  • [+]
  • 979150. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (21) =
  • [+]
  • 979151. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (50) =
  • [+]
  • 979152. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (17) =
  • [+]
  • 979153. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (85) =
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey almost my usual spot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! I won't be stuck with Pilot or Support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

zelarvi has graciously decided to yield her slot to rdonoso.

I'll reroll for him: 1d100 = (38) = 38

So the order of players is:

Mawkee
rdonoso
Mr T 1977
Flamethrower49
Vorpalgens
drnlmza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 979278. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (38) =
  • Wed Nov 9, 2016 8:13 pm
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool man! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Martins
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All righty then! Let me go with Athena! (my favorite char)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I'll be your sister Boomer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Weimars
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking in. Thanks.
WOW! I am third and NOT left with a pilot or support.

Anyway, a CL should not be available, I guess.

Any particular wishes from the others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No requirements from me. Lots of opportunities for the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Martins
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I took it from the game description...

BSG V142: The Election of Gaius Baltar
6-Player All-Expansions Game to the Ionian Nebula
Includes a Cylon Leader, Final Fives, and Fleet-Balancing House Rules

If that's wrong, sorry, I can pick again. Since we'd start over, I'll leave it here that I would choose Apollo if that's the case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

To clarify, this game will have one (and only one) Cylon Leader. Mr T 1977 can pick any Military Leader (except Cain), Support, or Political Leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Weimars
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Boomer being part of the game, we will need another one who could be capable of piloting!
So the "normal" pick would be support, military, pilot, political, 1 each for the rest of us 4.

Be it Chief Galen Tyrol, for I haven't played him for decades. Gods knows what he is good for .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr T 1977 wrote:

Be it Chief Galen Tyrol, for I haven't played him for decades. Gods knows what he is good for .

Cool cool cool! The game doesn't even started yet and we have our first Cylon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
Mr T 1977 wrote:

Cool cool cool! The game doesn't even started yet and we have our first Cylon!

Motion seconded, Chief often ends up that way...
So someone should pick Cally so we can have domestic drama wight away whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.