Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clank is a deck building hybrid race game, with the goal of gaining the most treasure. The game play is quick, simple and fun.

ARTWORK AND PRODUCTION -

The overall quality of the game is good, the art work and icons on the cards and game board are clean and easy to understand. This clean approach allows new players to quickly understand and play the game, especially if they have played similar deck building card games.

The card stock is not the best, and due to a slightly higher than expected purchase cost, some more quality should have been put into the main part of the game, the playing and shuffling of cards.

GAME PLAY & SIMILARITIES -

Due to it's deck building action, the similarities can easily be seen with Clank! and many other deck building games. Where Clank! takes a slightly different approach is with using your cards to interact directly with the game board and not just with adding more cards to your hand.

The cards in your hand, are played each turn, and the actions range from movement, buying other cards, attacking and making noise (Clank!). Some cards give you money, others end game points which are added to any artifacts/treasures that you collect along the way.

Death in the game can and will occur when a player exceeds their hit point rating. The way hit points, or damage are dealt, is via a random bag draw. Each player has their hit point cubes in the bag along with black neutral cubes. When a players cube is drawn out of the bag, it is placed on the corresponding hit point tracker and if it exceeds the maximum limit, the player is dead. The bag draw is triggered by cards appearing in the available buying pool, and if any of the cards display a dragon image, cubes are first added from the Clank pool and then X number are drawn according to the Dragons level

The ultimate Goal of the game is to descend into the depths of the underground, find some booty and escape before you die. The First player out, triggers an end game timer, giving players that are still deep in the depths of the underground, a limited amount of rounds to make an escape to the surface.

I saw some similarities within the game to Deep Sea Adventure. Which is a very simple push your luck game. Worth checking out.

FINAL THOUGHTS -

It's fast, random and playful. The game is by no means a serious experience, and more of a relaxing deck builder with a hint of urgency towards the end. Clank! has taken a well used formula and added just enough to make it worth while playing. My only issue with the game is the cost, it retails for over $100 in my country and that seems a little excessive for what you get in the box. With the components being adequate and the card stock at the lower end of quality, it is hard to justify the excessive rrp when other games on the market are cheaper and offer a more rounded quality.

SUMMARY -

3 Artwork
3 Theme
5 Ease of learning
3 Replay Value
3 Innovation
4 Length
2 Interaction
2 Value for money

Average Score = 3.1/5.0

Recommend it - Yes to playing, but it is hard to justify the cost compared to the quality. Worth trying someone else's copy before outlaying quite a bit for not a huge amount of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
My only issue with the game is the cost, it retails for over $100 in my country and that seems a little excessive for what you get in the box.

That's a review of the market in your country, not the game. It's $39 for me.

Card quality is a valid comment though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

Erm, so if a light filler game costs $1000 it shouldn't be part of the review? If Star Realms costs the same as Imperial Assault do you think it would be this popular/get as much positive reviews? Costs/value do matter for game reviews. It's just not brought up often because costs are often 'standardised'. The issue of replayability, for example, is exactly tied to costs.

If you're arguing instead that his point about costs is irrelevant because it is country specific, well, any statement about costs is country-specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game had only costed you 39$, how would that have affected your overall rating? Would it have been worth it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mydnight wrote:
curtc wrote:

Erm, so if a light filler game costs $1000 it shouldn't be part of the review?

If cost is going to be brought up at all in a review, I think it's more reasonable to talk about the cost in the nominal region, i.e. probably the region where the publisher exists, and/or the region where the game sells the most. Costs for imported games or costs in markets with low distribution (or high tariffs, or whatever) is pretty irrelevant to the majority of readers. Unless you're specifically targeting readers in your region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burton
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Got my copy delivered today and, two games in, am really pleased with it. Huge fun and variety. As a fellow ozgamer, I have learnt to shop around online. Got mine for $65 (inc delivery) which came out at c$85AUD. Well worth it the three-week wait.

Check out www.boardgameprices.com for comparison and availability. Another good source is ozgameshop.com in the UK, which usually has free delivery even to a Australia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game was on my radar until I saw the UK prices of £45-50. I'd pay £35 for it. I realise all kinds of factors affect prices - shipping, volume, currency exchange etc - so not saying the publisher overcharged. Just that for me, it didn't appeal quite enough or seem to have quite enough in it to justify the price tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
android61 wrote:

Check out www.boardgameprices.com for comparison and availability.

Here's the Australian one:

http://www.boardgamesearch.com.au/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Really like the game. It's the first deck builder that I have played that I really got into. Set up is a little long, but even first time players can help as most things are clearly marked where they go. As for the cards, I'm paranoid about game pieces so I sleeve most games anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.