Legends of Andor» Forums » Rules

Subject: Star Shield: Why Place the Wolf Token on Space B? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Note: I'm posting here (in addition to the Star Shield game page) because I suspect this location is more frequented by Andor fans.

In the Star Shield expansion, the reference manual recommends placing the Wolf symbol on Space B of the Legend track for beginners.
Yet in our experience with the expansion so far, our impression is that activating the "Wolves are Coming" card this early in the game actually increases the difficulty level.

Typically in the early game, players have to take out a Creature or two to build up their capital, so they can buy essential equipment such as the Spyglass or a Helm. If the Wolf token is on B, this will cause the wolves to deploy immediately. Yet players will hardly have had time to get the stuff they need to defeat a Grey Wolf in combat or tame the Alpha, such as locating the 3 Runestones, or finding Reka to get a Witch's brew. Invariably in our plays to date, 1 of the Grey wolves (the one which deploys closest to the Castle) was unstoppable and got in.

I can understand that removing the E card from the deck, or allowing players to use all 4 of the Gifts of the Andori, are ways to decrease difficulty, but not quite placing the Wolf token on Space B.
I get the idea that taming the wolves earlier would allow players to take fuller advantage of them as allies, but this seems like an impossible task so early in the game.If the Wolves deployed later in the game, wouldn't this give players more time to find the Runestones or get a brew?

I am considering ignoring these instructions in the manual and simply determining the location of the token on the track by a die roll, as per the normal rules.

Am I missing anything here? I welcome your insights on this question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24173382#24173382
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.