Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Format? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone explain the expansion format the game follows?

From what I understand the core box will feature a campaign which is comprised of a few scenarios but what exactly are the difference between the small and big box expansions? Are they meant to be played in order? Do I need a specific big box to play a specific Mythos Pack? What is a Mythos Pack? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know either. It's all explained on the Wiki:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205637/arkham-horror...

Here's the summary:
Quote:
Release Types

Core Set: Required for everything. Includes 239 cards, 149 tokens, 2 rule books and 1 campaign guide with 3 scenarios.
A second core set is required to play with 3-4 players.

Deluxe Expansion: Includes additional investigators, player cards, encounter cards, location cards and 2 scenarios which begin a cycle.

Mythos Pack: Includes additional player cards, encounter cards, location cards and 1 scenario which continues a cycle.
A copy of the deluxe expansion and all previous mythos packs in the cycle are required to play the scenario.

It looks like each campaign cycle will consist of a Deluxe Expansion followed by 6 Mythos Packs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the following campaigns will have 8 scenarios, once completed, instead of the initial 3 from the base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The Core set of 3 is just to suck you in. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. The core set features a three scenario standalone campaign.

Each cycle consists of 1 deluxe box to kick off the campaign and a series of six mythos packs. The deluxe expansions I think are slated to have 2 scenarios and each mythos pack with have 1 scenario. The total of which will be an 8 scenario campaign. The deluxe expansions and mythos packs will also contain new player cards to add to the player card pool. Deluxe expansions will feature new investigators to add to the investigator pool.

Content releases on average (barring shipping issues) is monthly.

The Dunwich Legacy is the first release after the core and it is a deluxe kicking off the first cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
The "big box" is for Deluxe expansions. The deluxe expansions come with five investigators, a number of player cards, and enough encounter sets for the first two scenarios of the campaign. There are no "small boxes"; each Mythos pack is a deck of cards, including some player cards and a unique encounter set used for the newest scenario. There are also the print-on-demand expansions, which will contain cards for a single "side quest" that you may spend experience points to attempt.

If all you want are player cards, you can buy any expansions you want. The deluxe expansions have the most player cards, but you don't need them to use cards from the Mythos packs (though future cycles may include synergistic themes to encourage you to buy the rest of them). You can also play the two scenarios in the deluxe expansion immediately; all the scenario cards are in the box.

Scenarios in the Mythos packs, however, will require encounter sets from the most recent deluxe expansion, so you'll need the deluxe expansion to play any scenarios in the cycle. If you want to play the scenario as part of a campaign, you'll need every prior Mythos pack in that cycle as well, because they're meant to be played in order.

(Note that these are all generalizations from what we know of the Dunwich Legacy and how LotR worked, but I'm reasonably confident about all of it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are designed to played in order, but released rules do show how to play a Scenario without the Campaign (basically you just give yourself Experience to build your starting deck, plus extra weaknesses) - you'd still (almost certainly) need the Dunwich Big Box to play any of the Dunwich packs, but you should be able to play The Essex Express without owning Miskatonic Museum. I'm guessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. One more question. Am I meant to play the same investigator all the way though as long as I can? If so then are the new investigators for just for future playthroughs or do you switch to a new one mid cycle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
Thanks everyone. One more question. Am I meant to play the same investigator all the way though as long as I can? If so then are the new investigators for just for future playthroughs or do you switch to a new one mid cycle?

Yes - you play an investigator all the way through a campaign cycle. I don't think you are supposed to take your investigator from campaign to campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
The total of which will be an 8 scenario campaign.

This makes me so very very happy.

I was excited about the campaign structure, and the RPG-like elements, but when I read about the core set being a 3-game campaign, I wrongly assumed that expansions would also be 3 games only, and that made me sad. cry

To take a set of investigators through an EIGHT game story just sounds tremendous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I'm correct to say the idea is that you would start the campaign upon the release of the deluxe set, right? In other words you don't need to (or even want to) wait until all the monthly packs are available. The packs would therefore represent acquisitions made along the way instead of ones you'd start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Esgaldil wrote:
They are designed to played in order, but released rules do show how to play a Scenario without the Campaign (basically you just give yourself Experience to build your starting deck, plus extra weaknesses) - you'd still (almost certainly) need the Dunwich Big Box to play any of the Dunwich packs, but you should be able to play The Essex Express without owning Miskatonic Museum. I'm guessing.

Hence why I specified "as part of a campaign." You can probably play Essex Express as a standalone with just it and the deluxe. That said, we still don't know how the Mythos pack campaign guides will work. It's possible that the deluxe box will contain the entire guide, but it's also possible that it'll just have the guide for two scenarios, with the "guide" instructions for Mythos packs on special cards (as they did with Rougarou). In that case, you'd need someone to tell you the lasting setup and resolution effects from Miskatonic Museum, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:
I believe I'm correct to say the idea is that you would start the campaign upon the release of the deluxe set, right? In other words you don't need to (or even want to) wait until all the monthly packs are available. The packs would therefore represent acquisitions made along the way instead of ones you'd start with.

They are chapters in a book being released monthly. You can start reading as soon as you get, you don't need chapter 3 to show up first. Or you could wait for the whole thing to just binge it (which is probably what I will end up doing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.