Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you play a non-ambush champion revealed by Fairy Trickster on your opponent's turn?

Since the card revealed by Fairy Trickster is "played" rather than "put into play", one could argue that standard champion rules should apply in which case the card is unplayable on your opponent's turn and automatically banished.

I believe the intent is that any card revealed by Fairy Trickster can be played regardless of turn initiative, but some clarification would be nice. Perhaps this is something that should be addressed in the collected card rulings.

Thoughts?

Fairy Trickster wrote:
Fairy Trickster
{expend}: Reveal the top card of target player's deck. You may play it (paying all costs). If you don't, banish it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would allow it to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You're normally not allowed to "play" a non-ambush champ on opponent's turn. But Faery Trickster says "you may play it". Rules on cards override rules of the game so I'd say, so long as you can pay the cost of playing the card, you may play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can. It says "play it" which implies "within game rules".

I think this is different than the wording on surprise attack saying "put it into play", which overrides normal timing.

I think. Good question though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools

Hi everybody,

Yes this will allow you to play a card while ignoring timing rules.

Bear in mind it still won't allow you to choose a mode you can't normally choose (such as "If it's your turn" etc), unless it's actually your turn.

Ian Taylor
Director of Organized Play
White Wizard Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IanWWG wrote:

Hi everybody,

Yes this will allow you to play a card while ignoring timing rules.

Bear in mind it still won't allow you to choose a mode you can't normally choose (such as "If it's your turn" etc), unless it's actually your turn.

Ian Taylor
White Wizard Games
Thanks for the official word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The distinction between "play" and "put into play" is, I imagine, so that cards played via FT can activate ally abilities. Looks to me like FT cards use a "play" action, and only this action can trigger ally abilities. This is the first time we see a way to do a "play" action with a card apart from the normal action available to players as part of the standard repertoire when you have initiative?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greylag wrote:
The distinction between "play" and "put into play" is, I imagine, so that cards played via FT can activate ally abilities.

That makes sense to me. I was wondering why the distinction in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hebert
msg tools
greylag wrote:
The distinction between "play" and "put into play" is, I imagine, so that cards played via FT can activate ally abilities.

At a worlds tournament this past weekend this is not why. That is to say that if your use Surprise Attack and put a Good Champion into play from your hand with it, it activates all good allied abilities. Counter intuitive, I know, and really turned the playoff match into my opponents favor.

As per Ian at the tournament, ally abilities are triggered when a Champion is put into play from your hand and not just when you Play it as a card from your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorOftheTides wrote:
At a worlds tournament …if your use Surprise Attack and put a Good Champion into play from your hand with it, it activates all good allied abilities.

…well this is a new ruling. and out of line with 5.18 of the Epic Complete Rules

Epic Card Game_Complete Rules_5.18 Ally Abilities wrote:
Ally Abilities appear on cards as Alignment symbols. The Ally symbols mean: “When you play a card from your hand with a cost of {1} that matches this Alignment symbol, ap ly the following effect.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorOftheTides wrote:
greylag wrote:

At a worlds tournament this past weekend this is not why. That is to say that if your use Surprise Attack and put a Good Champion into play from your hand with it, it activates all good allied abilities. Counter intuitive, I know, and really turned the playoff match into my opponents favor.

As per Ian at the tournament, ally abilities are triggered when a Champion is put into play from your hand and not just when you Play it as a card from your hand.

Wait, seriously. So you get a double ally trigger from surprise attacking in a Wild card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:
Wait, seriously. So you get a double ally trigger from surprise attacking in a Wild card?
My thoughts exactly. Thats some BS if true. Surprise Attack + Brachiosaurus is game breaking then.

You could Surprise Attack a Brachiosaurus to Surprise Attack a Brachiosaurus to Surprise Attack a Brachiosaurus all on the same turn hitting 6 ally triggers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
emperorOftheTides wrote:
greylag wrote:

This is not correct.

Sometimes when I make a ruling, I'm wrong. I know, it's weird, but this is one of those times.

I was focused on the Lesson Learned on which the Surprise Attack was played, and not on the Surprise Attack itself.

To be clear: Playing Surprise Attack from your hand will trigger Ally, but the Champion that you put into play will not.

Ian Taylor
White Wizard Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IanWWG wrote:
To be clear: Playing Surprise Attack from your hand will trigger Ally, but the Champion that you put into play will not.

Ian Taylor
White Wizard Games
Hallelujah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Ian while you're here, will a {1} card that's revealed and played by Fairy Trickster trigger ally abilities since its not technically being played from your hand?

I feel like the intention is yes but confirmation would be much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Arnold
msg tools
mbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
So Ian while you're here, will a {1} card that's revealed and played by Fairy Trickster trigger ally abilities since its not technically being played from your hand?

It will not an the card has to be played from your hand in order to trigger ally abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
EpicAgenda wrote:
andrewkapish wrote:

It will not an the card has to be played from your hand in order to trigger ally abilities.

Derek got here first.

But I can at least confirm.

Ian Taylor
White Wizard Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hebert
msg tools
Thanks for the rules update, Ian! Sad I was on the wrong end of it at the qualifier but glad to know that the rules work as I would expect intuitively.

I sent an email to support for further clarification on Ally Abilities as well.

If the card being played by Fairy does not activate Ally Ability, then that means a card played using Lessons Learned also doesn't trigger the Ally Ability, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorOftheTides wrote:
If the card being played by Fairy does not activate Ally Ability, then that means a card played using Lessons Learned also doesn't trigger the Ally Ability, correct?
Paying the {1} cost is required to trigger an ally ability. Additionally, as confirmed from this thread, the card must be played from your hand.
Lesson Learned itself will trigger sage allies since you payed to play it from your hand. However, the additional event played using Lesson Learned would not trigger ally abilities since not only has the cost not been payed to play the event but the event is being played from the discard pile rather than your hand.

The main confusion concerning Fairy Trickster is that while you do indeed pay the cost of the card, the card is being played from the deck and not your hand. Ally abilities will not trigger from a card revealed and played by Fairy Trickster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.