BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Games for non-english kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Dip
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(I was seriously fought over where to post this, but I guess parents could help me more than teachers.)
I'm currently working as a part-time English teacher for two kids. Basically, what I do (and what I was requested to, don't think I'm slacking off) is engaging them in simple chit-chatting and playing some games together. They are 8 and 10 and their English level is fairly low (I'd say it's low-A1 for the little one, and almost A2 for the eldest), but last time we played a board game they had laying around (IIRC, it was called Trobule) and they tried their best to teach me the rules of the game (I truly didn't know the rules, so that worked out to be a great exercise for them). Tomorrow I have another lesson and I wanted to bring another game so that this time I'd be the one teaching the game to them to let them practice their listening skills.
What's some good PnP game that kids would like that doesn't require a deep English knowledge?
I'll be the one explaining the rules, so I guess that, as long as they aren't too complicated for your average 8 years old, I can explain almost anything. I've got a few components lying around the house, though I would like to use at most dice and poker cards, not much else. The ideal would be some kind of roll-and-move game of sorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The first thing that came to mind was something like Go Fish with the poker cards. Surely there are rules available out on the Internet if you don't already know it. In that game they'll be asking each other about cards and answering, so talking and listening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Curtis
United States
Lalaland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most kids enjoy Crazy Eights, which can be played with a standard deck.

http://www.wikihow.com/Play-Crazy-Eights

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is their 1st language? What are their genders?

Max is a trivial(easy), co-op, roll and move. 4 tokens, 2 dice, and you can sketch out the gameboard. Bonus if you let them retheme it, as one person did to a star wars theme.

A little more interesting of a game though is 30 Rails, which just needs 2d6 / player (2 colors), and a black and white game sheet. There are a few pages of rules to print, but they are pretty easy once you start playing. Turn it into a bit more of a 'fair' competition by making each player use the same dice rolls.

There are probably games that focus more on talking... but PNP does restrict it a bit. Spyfall maybe? 3 player minimum, and better with more. It is possible to do the crude, word on a card, version without any art. Still, that ends up being a fair number of cards.

OTOH, Fairy Tale in my Pocket and "Calvin in my pocket" or Raiders in my Pocket are solo PNPs you could engage the kids in the crafting of. The first even has a coloring book version. If you have some cardstock and scissors, that is probably enough IIRC. But, the games would generate stories.

Hydras is another they could color. You'd need about 10 pages of cardstock IIRC, and then lots of cutting (so much that you might want to do that before hand). But playing it ought not to be too hard.

Dig Down Dwarf has a PNP in the files section. You'd need a color printer probably. It has been awhile since I looked at this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkan gold.
No thanks.
Dixit.
Zombie dice.
Tsuro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Dip
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, here are my thoughts alongside some more infos:
They look like they are turned off by games played with standard decks of any kind, expecially if they are the main component (Go Fish, Crazy Eights).
Max seems like it's definitely too easy a game. Also, forgot to mention that I'd prefer not to go the co-op route.
I must admit I'm not sure I understood 30 rails fully, but in any case it doesn't really appeal to me, either.
I don't have to force them to talk, or rather, I'd prefer if it wasn't word-heavy nor in reading nor in speaking or whatever, so Spyfall is a bit out of the question.
Solos are out of the question because I don't plan to make the game WITH them. They'll only see the game in action, not the making.
When we want to draw and color, we have other activities we usually do (boardgame-wisely, Pictionary is a big hit with them, but we already did halloween decorations and portraits), so that's not necessarily a plus.

Also, since I've been asked: their first language is Italian, but I've been trying to limit that to the barest minimum if not banishing it completely. They both are boys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dixit is a perfect langage teaching tool. Usually kids love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Dixit. Although not a Print and Play (as far as I know), if the kids like it, it will be worth the investment. You could probably find photos of enough cards to have a small sample round to try it out before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game that comes to mind is Under My Bed. It's a cute little social deduction game where all players except one are monsters. The remaining player is a very cool kid, who's dressed up in a monster costume, to infiltrate the monsters, in order to find out which monster is hiding under his bed.

It was available as a full colour PnP for Kickstarter backers, but I think the creator would probably send you those files if you send him a message explaining the situation

Chris Rowlands
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb

It does require access to a colour printer though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludstifer wrote:
Inkan gold.
No thanks.
Dixit.
Zombie dice.
Tsuro.

Ooh, you avsked for p n' p. My bad.blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.