Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabled Fruit. Stronghold Games, 2016. $45. Designed by Friedemann Friese. Illustrated by Harald Lieske. 240 location cards (60 different cards with 4 copies each), 60 fruit cards, 6 wooden animals and matching tokens, 1 wooden thief, 10 mixed fruit cards, 11 assorted tokens, and 1 rule book. 2-5 players. Ages 8+. 20-30 minutes.

This colorful card game provides two decks, the location cards and the fruit cards, and a wooden animal (meeple) for each player to drive a worker placement set collection game with some unusual twists. During each player’s turn, they will place their marker on one of the location cards in play and either perform the action listed or turn in the required set of fruit cards to buy that location card. If you place your marker on a location card with other players, you have to pay them one fruit card. The game ends when one player buys the required number of location cards, which varies depending on the number of players.

How can such a simple single worker placement and set collection game, that lasts only about 20 minutes, be anything novel? The answer lies in the way the game evolves during play. Each time a location card is bought, it is removed from those in play and turned face down as a reminder (fruit juice bottle in game parlance) to keep track of points gained. More importantly, a new location card is drawn off the top of the huge (240 cards!) deck which can introduce a new ability and new set turn in cost. So during play, the abilities available are constantly changing as players remove locations.

But where Fabled Fruit really shines isn’t just its quick and quirky location abilities, but the legacy aspect it introduces. When you finish playing a game, you set aside those purchased location cards and then start the next game with the top (first numerically) 24 cards that were left. Each game sees location cards bought, new abilities introduced, and a different end game state. This produces a highly addictive experience that is hard to stop!

While the location cards themselves are tarot sized and seem sturdy, the poker size fruit card deck, which is constantly being handled, shuffled, reshuffled, drawn, etc. seems to be made of flimsier stock and quickly became worn as cards lost their stiffness. These cards should have been made of better card stock. Also, the retail price of $45 for a small game seems rather high, especially when in your first game you only use the fruit deck, animal tokens, and maybe 35-40 cards (only 8-9 different abilities) from the location deck. Certainly the 300+ cards must be pricey, but each game using a small subset makes the cost seem very high.

Fabled Fruit is a highly addictive game! If you play one game and walk away you won’t really see what all the fuss is about. It’s just a simple worker placement/set collection game. But if you get hooked on the changing abilities during play, which are introduced as surprises every 4th card, and the legacy element which starts each game in a new state it’s really amazing and draws you back again and again. Not only will it take many plays to get through the 60 different locations once, but even starting again will produce a very different, game since different locations will be bought and change the available abilities so a different set will be in play every time. Fast, easy, engaging, fun!

This review was written based on a privately purchased retail copy. No compensation was involved.
c2016 by Richard A. Edwards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review.

A really good game. It is quick, cute, interactive and keeps renewing itself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Where do you see the rule that says you can only buy the same location card once per game? I cannot find that anywhere and was not taught that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikefitz wrote:
Where do you see the rule that says you can only buy the same location card once per game? I cannot find that anywhere and was not taught that way.

That looks like a misunderstanding, as of course you can buy the same location more than once per game.

Everything else sounds fine in the review. Thank you!

Have fun with Fabled Fruit!

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikefitz wrote:

Thank you for pointing that out! I was taught the game that way at a con and though I read the rules when I got my own copy, I didn't notice that wasn't part of them.

I have corrected my review so as to not confuse new readers.

Thanks again. And my apologies for any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.