Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Player interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

I've now seen lots of videos about Scythe and read lots of reviews, but one thing is still a little unclear to me.
The game looks gorgeous with its map and all the miniatures. But at its heart it seems to be a Eurogame. And honestly, I don't really like Eurogames, because there usually is only minimal player interaction included: most of the time you can only make life a little harder for the other players, but that's it.
From what I understand, battles happen very rarely in Scythe, it's not really an area control game. But are there other ways for players to interact? Or is it just that everyone plays on their own little boards without really being interested in what the others are doing?

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ymd_fallen wrote:

From what I understand, battles happen very rarely in Scythe, it's not really an area control game. But are there other ways for players to interact? Or is it just that everyone plays on their own little boards without really being interested in what the others are doing?

It really is dependent on your game group. The game does not "force" combat but it is definitely a part of the game if the players choose it. I have had games with 1 combat and games with almost a dozen combats. It really is a cold war style of game instead of a combat focused game. The threat of combat is often more powerful than actually starting hostilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ymd_fallen wrote:

But at its heart it seems to be a Eurogame. And honestly, I don't really like Eurogames, because there usually is only minimal player interaction included: most of the time you can only make life a little harder for the other players, but that's it.

Just as with most other eurogames - there is a lot of interaction of how your board affects other people, and vice versa. But it's that sort of interaction, not trading, politics, and very little combat.

It absolutely is a eurogame through and through, and if you don't like that, then no, you probably won't like this. It's all about resource optimisation on your own board, and only a little about the map, affecting other players there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ymd_fallen wrote:
battles happen very rarely in Scythe

Not necessarily true. Game design influences this for sure, but I've seen quite cutthroat games of Scythe, too.

ymd_fallen wrote:
it's not really an area control game.

It's definitely an area control game (too). Points coming from controlled areas are very substantial portion of your final score.

ymd_fallen wrote:

But are there other ways for players to interact? Or is it just that everyone plays on their own little boards without really being interested in what the others are doing?

Fighting (or threatening a fight) is the main interaction. Depending on player mindset and situation on the board, there will be more or less interaction. When playing with 2p, chances are there won't be much interaction. If playing with 4 - you bet there will be.

In this sense, it's not really that much different from, say, Eclipse. To translate it even further: Yes, it probably can be played without paying attention to what others are doing. Yes, playing this way is usually suboptimal, unless everyone collectively play the same non-interactive style. The game nudges the fight juuust a little bit, by placing the Factory in the middle, so early game is a race for the best action card. Some battles can happen quite naturally near Factory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And honestly, I don't really like Eurogames

This tells me all I'd need to know. IMO, Scythe is Euro to the core. It's not a wargame or a traditional 4X. In reality, Scythe is an engine builder built around the threat of combat, moreso than hack and slash melee. To put it in terms of games you've rated, it's going to feel more like Hyperborea than Zombicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat is available.. and will probably happen two times a person (when they think they will win for the star) but it is highly discourage most times due to the punishment mechanic for forcing workers to retreat.

Other than combat, direct player interaction is almost non-existant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
Quote:
And honestly, I don't really like Eurogames

This tells me all I'd need to know. IMO, Scythe is Euro to the core. It's not a wargame or a traditional 4X. In reality, Scythe is an engine builder built around the threat of combat, moreso than hack and slash melee. To put it in terms of games you've rated, it's going to feel more like Hyperborea than Zombicide.

It's not even a non-traditional 4x.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 6 plays under my belt. I saw games with 1 combat and games with 7/8 combats. It really depends on how players play it. And yes plays without combat are almost always boring to me.

This is the players that shape the game. The game brings enough things to fight (constructing Mechs to enable enhanced movement, movement between tunnels, fight for the factory hex).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're definitely right that Scythe is a Euro at heart. If you don't like Euros, then there are likely a ton of games that you'd enjoy more than Scythe, so I'd recommend buying something else and maybe trying out someone else's copy if an opportunity arises.

I'm saying this as an employee of Stonemaier Games - the game's publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
mortenmdk wrote:
You're definitely right that Scythe is a Euro at heart. If you don't like Euros, then there are likely a ton of games that you'd enjoy more than Scythe, so I'd recommend buying something else and maybe trying out someone else's copy if an opportunity arises.

I'm saying this as an employee of Stonemaier Games - the game's publisher.

Thanks for this opinion, and also for all the other replies in this thread.

Here's one other thing I don't like about Euros: usually they are very abstract, you place coloured cubes or meeples somewhere, but depending on where they are, they mean different things. From what I saw in the videos, this is partly the same in Scythe, but then you also have the board, and instead of putting a cube somewhere (which of course you also do), indicating that you can cross rivers, you actually build a mech and move it on that map!

You see, for some reason I'm desperately looking for some reasons for me to try it out. It just looks amazing and the mechanics seem to work really well (@Morten: well done!). So for me this is a Euro that looks gorgeous and look is a very important thing for me in games, so maybe this might be my gateway game into Euros. I've got a friend, who's into Euros (bought Great Western Trail in Essen, which is not really my thing), maybe I just have to convince him to buy it... devil

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
ymd_fallen wrote:
Hi,

I've now seen lots of videos about Scythe and read lots of reviews, but one thing is still a little unclear to me.
The game looks gorgeous with its map and all the miniatures. But at its heart it seems to be a Eurogame. And honestly, I don't really like Eurogames, because there usually is only minimal player interaction included: most of the time you can only make life a little harder for the other players, but that's it.

Cheers,
Tim

I think so much of this depends on your definition of 'minimal player interaction' and a strong 'area control' game. I'm sure I haven't played board games for as long as many on these threads, but I bet others might be able to chip in and provide feedback if you wanted to compare it with other games.

With that said, I enjoy both euro and combat games and I personally find the level of player interaction to be perfect. After the first few plays, I mistakenly believed there wasn't much interaction. Looking back, I had no idea how to play the game optimally and realize there's quite a bit of interaction although it's not always direct. Others have mentioned that the threat of combat plays a huge factor, and I couldn't agree more.

Scythe is an excellent game in my opinion, and I've grown to enjoy it the more I played it. I wasn't a huge fan after a couple games, but I'm glad I stuck with it because it's currently my favorite game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ymd_fallen wrote:
I don't really like Eurogames, because there usually is only minimal player interaction included...

You should try more euros. My favorite euros are very interactive. And yes Scythe has almost no interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.