6 Posts

Galaxy Trucker» Forums » General

Subject: Alien technologies - The Space Catapult rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chipes Ushivykous
msg tools
Hello everyone,

Galaxy Trucker is definitely my favourite game of all time since my "childhood", as you could say. I love how "elegantly clumsy" the system of the game feels and the unique design and approach is something very inspirational for me as an amateur game designer trying novel ideas.

So... the problem is that nobody in my family seems to be of the same opinion, resulting in the box collecting dust on the shelf. Although I can get someone to play it from time to time, everyone seems to forget the rules between every such occasion, so we never play with The Big Expansion, which I loved so much during the two playthroughs of it I had the pleasure to absolve. The base game is too easy for me at this point, so I have to handicap myself to have fun.

So I got fed up and just went and bought the app. It's not the same, but it definitely is an amazing adaptation, so great job CGE!

Now I'm considering to get the digital expansion as well to gain access to the tiles from The Big Expansion (and I really hope we'll eventually get to see the Boarding parties, which are probably the element I'm most interested in of those I've never tried yet - I think I'm going to buy myself a physical copy of Another Big Expansion anyway, for one day, I shall find someone to play it with).

So, the question here... I'm a big fan of building tiles and I've seen there is something called "The Space Catapult" in the expansion. I am not aware of the tile's existence in the cardboard versions and can't find any info about it. Can someone please explain what it's about? Thank you in advance.

Neprofik
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catapults don't currently exist in the real world game. (Maybe they'll be a mini expansion or part of whatever next expansion CGE does, but we'll have to see.)

Catapults are kind of like shield generators, in that they function anywhere in your ship. A catapult has to be connected to a cargo hold or a living quarters to be of any use, though.

If you're attacked or when defending against large meteors, a catapult can fire a unit of cargo or a crewman (surprise) from an adjacent cargo hold or living quarters and it will destroy the meteor or act as +1 cannon strength. (If you fire a red cargo, it's +2.)

Also, at the start of the trip, any cargo holds connected to catapults start with one unit of blue cargo.

Advantages:
Doesn't need the open space in front of the barrel that a cannon needs.
Can be anywhere on your ship.
Can fire all four directions so they don't have the 1/2 strength problem sideways or rear cannons do.
Purple alien bonuses work on catapults.

Disadvantages:
Has to be adjacent to a cargo hold or crew quarters to work.
There has to be cargo or crew in the adjacent component to act as ammo.
Doesn't seem to cover adjacent columns like sideways or rear-facing cannon do. (I'm not absolutely sure about that, but they don't seem to be giving me the chance to fire on adjacent columns.)

I'd like to see them in the board game because of the flexibility they give and the way they make Green and Blue cargo more useful. (There are times you'll be begging for that next adventure card to be a planet so you can stop and load up some more ammo.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chipes Ushivykous
msg tools
Oh, that's ingenious and almost exactly how I imagined it would work when I first read about it. I assumed it could be used to toss things into space (and hoped it would be people, because it's so cutely twisted and wicked), I was just wondering whether you could attack the other players or something else.

Four-directional crew-powered cannon sounds so fun that I personally really hope it gets added to the physical version, because throwing people at meteors is definitely something I'd love to laugh at with a couple of friends in the evening and could even get someone to play with me.

This is part of why I love this game so much. The way it gives its resources multiple funny and diverse uses, especially in the expansions. I hope more ideas like this get added. Some player interaction component could be very interesting as well.

Thank you very much for the answer. I'm now considering the purchase even more. It's almost about time a new big expansion was released, perhaps including the previous two small ones plus some little extras like this amazing little thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BozemanPhil wrote:

If you're attacked or when defending against large meteors, a catapult can fire a unit of cargo or a crewman (surprise) from an adjacent cargo hold or living quarters and it will destroy the meteor or act as +1 cannon strength. (If you fire a red cargo, it's +2.)

A small correction: a living ammo can not destroy a large meteor, it can only increase your strength against pirates etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the app mentioned that but I don't remember reading it. Oh well. Explains a few things, I guess, though I do my best to not end up FLINGING MY CREW OUT INTO SPACE!! surprise

If CGE does a mini-expansion with the catapults (or releases them to the real world some other way) I hope they include the extra cannon engines that the app also has. As someone who has had a fondness for cannon engines ever since my very first game of Galaxy Trucker, having a cannon engine that has two connections is awesome. The possibilities for the IIIC alone are amazing.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jablonovsky
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
"Doesn't seem to cover adjacent columns like sideways or rear-facing cannon do. (I'm not absolutely sure about that, but they don't seem to be giving me the chance to fire on adjacent columns.)"

yes, it's true

(It would be too strong, if it also covered the adjacent rows/columns)

I'm glad that you like the catapult, we had so much fun creating it

I'd say the extra cannon-engine components are not very probable in the next board game expansion, but there's a good possibility catapults would fit in. However, I don't think there will be an expansion this soon... but you can certainly enjoy it in the app now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.