$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
25.4% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just trying to throw a little positivity out there...since my struggles at my job right now are hell...I'm willing to throw some Holmes-ish Love out there...

I hope he can use the Executive and work with Congress to:
1) Make the US more isolationist, especially in the Middle East.
2) Make the US more protectionist, to a degree.
3) Enforce illegal immigration because it's truly unfair. In so doing, punishing the businesses instead of just deporting people.

I'm not very convinced he has set issue positions, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't actually think he'll be able to accomplish any of the goals he spouted to get elected (I'm not even convinced he wanted to accomplish any of them in the first place, he would have said ANYTHING).

Anything too crazy, the Democrats will obstruct. Anything that DOES get through just improves Dem chances for 2018 and 2020.

I am worried about foreign policy, executive order abuse, and Supreme Court nominees, but I hope the Dems do what the Reps said they would do if Clinton won and freeze the court for 4 years, or allow only the most moderate of nominees through. They could hardly be blamed after what the other side threatened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obama said that Hillary would say anything and change nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Source, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintlyThomas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Source, please?

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/01/obama-hillar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd love to see him throw down his own personal brand of feistiness against the Republicans who declared his term limit proposal a "non-starter". Oh, you don't want to be limited to a few terms? How about a little ad hominem and an almost-catchy nickname for you, too?

If he could do even that one thing to get the old blood out and the younger generations in, I should think we'll see change in all sorts of areas, regardless of party lines. At the very least, Congress would reflect the future instead of the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
SaintlyThomas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Source, please?

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/01/obama-hillar...

Wow...that's old, but it doesn't get much more cut & dried than that. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You are full of poisonous refuse and insane foolishness.
badge
I had not supposed or expected your arrogant spirit to seek such a ridiculous and childish reason for lying; you should have better reasons.
mbmbmbmbmb
He has exceeded every expectation I had for him thus far. I didn't think he could compete in the primary, I didn't think he could beat Hillary, I thought his strategic choices during the election were largely moronic and would cost the GOP the Senate for sure and maybe even the House.

Who the fuck knows, maybe he does know what he's doing.

I think his speech from last week about using Federal disaster money and the accompanying reduced regulation to rebuild blighted areas in various inner cities could be a real boon to them.

OK, running out of good things to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronaldinho @boardspace.net
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
mb
He'll have better relations with Russia and work together with Putin to end ISIS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
He has exceeded every expectation I had for him thus far. I didn't think he could compete in the primary, I didn't think he could beat Hillary, I thought his strategic choices during the election were largely moronic and would cost the GOP the Senate for sure and maybe even the House.

I think his speech from last week about using Federal disaster money and the accompanying reduced regulation to rebuild blighted areas in various inner cities could be a real boon to them.

Just straight up rebuilding cities with taxpayer money for the good of society at large? Has bj gone communist over here?

(and I don't know the details, but that does sound like a plan I could get behind)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Just straight up rebuilding cities with taxpayer money for the good of society at large? Has bj gone communist over here?

(and I don't know the details, but that does sound like a plan I could get behind)

I wonder how that same plan would be received if made by a Democrat during a major economic crisis? As opposed to a Republican during a period where the economy is in pretty decent shape?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I had not supposed or expected your arrogant spirit to seek such a ridiculous and childish reason for lying; you should have better reasons.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

http://www.realclearpolicy.com/blog/2016/11/03/trumps_right_...

Quote:
In his speech, Trump proposed just that, saying: “I will further empower cities and states to seek a federal disaster designation for blighted communities in order to initiate the rebuilding of vital infrastructure, the demolition of abandoned properties, and the increased presence of law enforcement.” The idea did not make headlines, but it should have. It’s radical, revolutionary, and just what urban America needs — a federal disaster declaration for our most impoverished, hard-hit neighborhoods.

Under current law, when the president declares an area to be a disaster, additional federal assistance can be applied, while regulations and rules for rebuilding and revitalizing the affected area are often waived or reduced.

Under the model established after the I-35W bridge collapse over the Mississippi River, federal authorities can streamline infrastructure and other projects that often take a decade from start to finish. The Minnesota bridge was rebuilt better than ever in 437 days, with only 100 days required for planning and review. Compare that to the average of seven to eight years on most federal infrastructure projects.

Federal lawmakers took the lessons of that project — as well as the crawling pace of the post-Katrina response — to heart after Super Storm Sandy, ordering FEMA to streamline the process for aid.

Urban “HOPE zones” — as Trump’s proposal could more aptly be termed — would enable individuals and businesses to apply more quickly for revitalization aid, including home improvement and personal loans. Most especially, they could also apply more quickly for start-up capital available from the Small Business Administration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

http://www.realclearpolicy.com/blog/2016/11/03/trumps_right_...

Quote:
In his speech, Trump proposed just that, saying: “I will further empower cities and states to seek a federal disaster designation for blighted communities in order to initiate the rebuilding of vital infrastructure, the demolition of abandoned properties, and the increased presence of law enforcement.” The idea did not make headlines, but it should have. It’s radical, revolutionary, and just what urban America needs — a federal disaster declaration for our most impoverished, hard-hit neighborhoods.

Under current law, when the president declares an area to be a disaster, additional federal assistance can be applied, while regulations and rules for rebuilding and revitalizing the affected area are often waived or reduced.

Under the model established after the I-35W bridge collapse over the Mississippi River, federal authorities can streamline infrastructure and other projects that often take a decade from start to finish. The Minnesota bridge was rebuilt better than ever in 437 days, with only 100 days required for planning and review. Compare that to the average of seven to eight years on most federal infrastructure projects.

Federal lawmakers took the lessons of that project — as well as the crawling pace of the post-Katrina response — to heart after Super Storm Sandy, ordering FEMA to streamline the process for aid.

Urban “HOPE zones” — as Trump’s proposal could more aptly be termed — would enable individuals and businesses to apply more quickly for revitalization aid, including home improvement and personal loans. Most especially, they could also apply more quickly for start-up capital available from the Small Business Administration.

Yea, that sounds solid. But seriously, have you gone communist? At the very least, an FDR supporter. This is the exact kind of "hand out or hand up" Republicans/Libertarians usually deride as an abuse of taxpayer money. Why not let local citizens and cities and states hire companies to rebuild and leave the federal government out of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's a nonzero chance that he'll break Washington enough that we'll see meaningful changes in business as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
Yea, that sounds solid. But seriously, have you gone communist? At the very least, an FDR supporter. This is the exact kind of "hand out or hand up" Republicans/Libertarians usually deride as an abuse of taxpayer money. Why not let local citizens and cities and states hire companies to rebuild and leave the federal government out of it?

My favorite part of it was the cutting through the Federal red tape to get stuff fixed in significantly less time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

I like this idea. One caveat though: what if we have another Katrina or Sandy and we're short of funds? Outside of the funding, though, I like this. I've said here and practically everywhere the solution to poverty is improved infrastructure, upgraded housing, and upgrading public education. The man is on to something here.

Edit: I hope his choices for cabinet positions are solid, not flaky pols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Spending money from disaster funds was part of the plot from House of Cards. Better hope Trump doesn't catch Independence Day late one night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump has said he wants to reduce the influence of lobbyists on the government.

It's a nice sentiment if he can do it with an executive order. Otherwise, he'll leave office before congress writes a bill for him to sign that implements what he said he would do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fitt
Thailand
Chang Mai
flag msg tools
I live in Thailand and don't keep my ear to the ground the way I used to but --

I saw that in his victory speech he said that he would spend a bunch of money to repair our aging infrastructure. And he had said that he is going to cut taxes on the wealthy some more.

These 2 together will increase the national debt by a bunch.

Linking this with the way Pres. Bush II cut taxes and increased spending it certainly looks as if the Repud Party believes in MMT economics when a Repud is Pres. and in standard economics when a Democrat is Pres.

Just saying.

I think that MMT is a more accurate economic theory so I think this is a good way for Pres. Trump to behave. Except the cutting taxes on the wealthy part, but WTH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's my little bright spot from the win - he's going to toss a lot of executive orders including (I hope) the one that stopped re-importation of US military weapons. Obama wrote that one after Sandyhook to show he was doing something for gun control. The reality is it really only affected collectors (aka 'me') who wanted to get WWII era M-1 Garand rifles that were given to South Korea in the 50's and now South Korea is selling the stock as surplus.

So, hopefully soon I can soon get a Garand for under a grand.

Other than that.... hummm..... positives.... positives ..... still thinking ..... p o s i t i v e s?...

Ah, got one. The new first lady looks a lot like an AD&D Succubus from the 1st edition Monster Manual, soooo, that's cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglum01 wrote:
Ah, got one. The new first lady looks a lot like an AD&D Succubus from the 1st edition Monster Manual, soooo, that's cool.

Really? Pics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglum01 wrote:

Here's my little bright spot from the win - he's going to toss a lot of executive orders including (I hope) the one that stopped re-importation of US military weapons. Obama wrote that one after Sandyhook to show he was doing something for gun control. The reality is it really only affected collectors (aka 'me') who wanted to get WWII era M-1 Garand rifles that were given to South Korea in the 50's and now South Korea is selling the stock as surplus.

So, hopefully soon I can soon get a Garand for under a grand.

Other than that.... hummm..... positives.... positives ..... still thinking ..... p o s i t i v e s?...

So, body shaming is ok against non democrats still?
Yeah we know it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say by far the most positive outcome of the Trump presidency is that Clinton will not be president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think his unpredictability and "outsider/businessman" status is his biggest asset.

1) He will stand up to establishment Republicans when they try to do stupid things (McConnell, etc), and won't easily roll over for them.
2) It's not clear what his actual position on basically anything is. It could be that most/all of his campaign promises were simply a media ploy to get him elected, with no intention to follow-through (e.g. an actual wall with Mexico?)
3) Despite many of his business failures, he still is a businessman and knows about what's good for business and employers. I'm hopeful that he could actually bring lots of jobs back to America and improve employment and wages for lower and middle class Americans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.