Subject: GeekMail cut off rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have received a GeekMail, which is rather long (because a lot of quotes and backquotes). Because we have top-quoted in this message thread, the new text is on bottom of the message.

The message is not displayed completely, the last part is cut off. I have received the same GeekMail forwarded via e-mail, and there the message is complete.

What's suspicious is that when I flip open the message in my GeekMail list, the message is almost exactly as high as the available room in my browser.

Could it be that any messages that need more room than this are mercilessly cut short?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Matthews
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more likely that the database powering the site has a max character limit, and truncates the text when it's saved. In many cases text fields have a max character limit. A common limit is 65k.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
IIRC, there are also certain character combinations that truncate postings and geekmail viewed on-site. However, I may not RC. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole message (including all quotes) has less than 1300 characters, so that one seems unlikely.

However, the other user seems to have written an end quote [ / q ] without a proper quote before. That I saw only when examining the text in the "reply" pane.
Whether that should truncate a message...it's probably not user-expected behavior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any less-than signs < in the message?

(See Forum formatting for details.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Are there any less-than signs < in the message?

(See Forum formatting for details.)

That was my thought as well. I ran into that years ago, and posted details about losing much of what I'd composed as a consequence here: Re: ASCII listing of all Maseitei
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A really crazy bug which I just (re)discovered yesterday is this:

Test LT A o GT: it works fine:

< A o >

Test LT A oo GT: it works fine:

< A oo >

Test LT A on GT: it silently removes "on":

< A >

(The key is somehow the string "on". Frickin' bizarre.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
russ wrote:
(The key is somehow the string "on". Frickin' bizarre.)

This is old misguided blacklist-based 'security' to prevent insertion of javascript event handlers in html element handlers ("onclick", "onhover", etc).

Edit: Since this seemed familiar, I tracked down that I discovered the same thing back in March, with you refinding that same thread yesterday as well, as I just discovered at the end of a string of clicking through referenced threads. I'm amused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
IIRC, there are also certain character combinations that truncate postings and geekmail viewed on-site. However, I may not RC.

Not sure about GeekMail but posting has a few "special" characters that can truncate or other strange things. Less than and greater than signs can be problematic (same IIRC disclaimer as Chris)

Edit: ninjaed because I opened the thread then went out and came back to it quite a while later meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite likely the other user hit a bad character combination. The mail I received contains a certain smiley that might be interpreted differently in the geekmail view.

Do we need training for new users?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.