Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

My place of business gives us a days pay if we do spend time doing something for/with the community. I have contacted the local library about using their large meeting room to host a community game day. The idea being that I have a few people help me teach games to anyone in the community that would be interested in playing. I intend to enlist the help of the FLGS in the area to see if they'd like to lend us part of their library or donate for a raffle or something. But I was wondering if you all had any ideas on how to make this event successful.

I'm not looking for it, nor anticipating it to be, huge. I really adore our local Library and am excited to team up with them on something like this (they've recently started adding games to their catalog). If you were to pop in to an event run at your local library, what kind of games, things would you like to see to make it a success?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be crucial to have very easy to teach and learn games that take 30 minutes to an hour. I'd also make sure you have enough people that are comfortable teaching each of the games you bring. Maybe that's five or six people to donate their time? I think gaming folks generally would love to help you. I'm thinking games like: Settlers of Catan, King of New York/Tokyo, Splendor, Zombie Dice/Dino Hunt, and the like. I'm sure others will have some great suggestions. Worst case, and you don't get many people there, play with the group of volunteers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd pick gateway-type games from as many different genres as possible, so they can see the variety of modern games available. Some suggestions:

Family Games
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
King of Tokyo
Splendor

Party Games
Codenames
Dixit

Strategy Games
Catan
Pandemic

Abstract Games
Patchwork
Hey, That's My Fish!

Dexterity Games
PitchCar

Thematic Games
Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Wargames
Memoir '44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the suggestions! I own most of the games listed above and think I have some decent substitutes for the ones I don't (Thought pitchcar would be a blast).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.