Subject: How to get started with Vassal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi guys
I have decided to leap into the world of Vassal for 3R4.

I have downloaded the engine - 3.2.16 and the 3R4 basic module 2.2b03 version 3.1.14

Are these the necessary pre requisites?

How do you then start a game?

I have been fortunate to have a partner who had the game to play with thus far.

Appreciate any advice.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have it in front of me, but I recall you had to launch the 'engine' (Vassal) then launch the 'module' (3R). I've often simply double-left-clicked on the 'module' and the computer was smart enuff to know to launch the parent engine + the game module.

Once in it, you'll just have to kick the tires around to learn the 'isms'. There's no other way to learn really. Have fun.

Note that Vassal is not a "game" engine per se. It's more like a "whiteboard" if you will, a replica of the paper board game. Like a paper board game where I can mistakenly pick up a fighter counter and move it all the way from new York to berlin with my hand, so can you make erroneous movements within vassal. As opposed to a computer game wherein the code won't allow you to click on this, or over-move that, or misallocate too much air to a stack, etc etc. Vassal is "wide open" freedom same as a physical human hand picking up a real 1/2-in sq chip and putting it anywherever. There is nothing in Vassal's engine to police you. It WILL allow you to make mistakes and downright illegal moves. About the only thing besides saving the board and counters in its place is the random generator die*. Vassal doesn't do much more policing than that.

Pay attention to saving 'log file' vs saving 'game'.
I believe log file is what you want. Log files are what you email to your opponent and what he emails back.

When you're done with your turn (or phase, and await an opponent's counter actions) you save log file. You then email that log file to your opponent. When he emails back to you the log file of his turn, you open it up in vassal (again, my computer was smart enuff to open the entire engine/module when I simply double-left-clicked on the log file).

There is usually an icon at the menu bar level that looks like a "play" or step-forward button. Click on that one step at a time and you can "watch" your opponent's moves. You'll "see" his die rolls. You'll even step through and additional notes that he typed to elaborate on his movement/attacks/gameplay.

You can move forward/back as much as you want (you want to torture yourself? Keep replaying that 1:2 odds where he got an Exchange result and you lost your last best tank unit on that critical objective hex!)

When you've steeped through all his step it'll auto-prompt you if you want to create your own log file from that point on.

There must be online guides somewhere...

* A word of warning about the random die generator. Whenever I do 1:1 attacks, I always get an Attacker Retreat or Defeated result in vassal games. Whenever my opponent makes a 1:1 attack, he'll always roll a "random" six and gets DE or DR results. Go figure.
I don't know why that is. Maybe pissing off some Masons in my younger days are catching up to me now in the random die generator in Vassal. You never know how far their reach is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takapu wrote:
Hi guys
I have decided to leap into the world of Vassal for 3R4.

I have downloaded the engine - 3.2.16 and the 3R4 basic module 2.2b03 version 3.1.14

Are these the necessary pre requisites?

How do you then start a game?

I have been fortunate to have a partner who had the game to play with thus far.

Appreciate any advice.

Chris

Do a quick google search for vassal engine tutorial. I found videos ranging from 5 mins to 30 mins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.