Subject: Just one slightly altered tile damages the game severly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I was lucky enough to pick up this game new for cheap at a swap market. I really knew nothing about this game except that it's apparently really good. I own and played Forbidden Island and enjoy it immensely, so I had hopes for this one...

There was one thing about this game that almost prevented me from picking it up, and that's that the majority of the tiles have the exact same desert-side picture. It's a trait I'm not a fan of in games; especially materials that can't be hidden or sleeved. With components that have a similar picture, it's very easy to get them marked, even accidentally. That being said, it was completely new, and was very cheap, which is why I picked it up. I then started inspecting the tiles...

One of the desert tiles that has a well icon has a greenish mark on the top of it. And of course, it's the one tile that has the mirage on the back. Also, one of the regular desert-sided tiles is slightly torn on the bottom. Nothing really special to most, but to me, I can tell it apart from the others laid out on the board.

This was my minuscule fear come true. I then played it with my gaming group. And knowing which well tile was the bad one (along with the desert tile that had more gear) I felt a little cheated. We did end up winning. It probably doesn't affect many of your guys, but when knowing beforehand what to ignore, it just seems icky to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! I have the same issue!

My copy came with one of the tiles having a slight "seam" on the back. You only see it when you look closely and when the light is right, but man I just can't not look at it!

I have yet to find a solution for that that doesn't ruin the game visually or physically

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Those markings would be awful, especially that one on the mirage. There's a lot of tension when water is getting low and the players are gathering at an oasis. When you already know it's got water in it all the excitement would be gone.

Marking a gear card isn't quite as bad, but still takes away that moment when you flip the card over to see what you've dug up.

Sleeving the tiles might help, then at least all the backs would be the same. Use one color from the desert tiles and another for the oases. It would look less thematic, but might restore the mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamewright has exemplary customer service. Especially because it came out of the box this way, I would highly, highly recommend you contact them. Yes it's minor, physically, but they'll understand that it ruins the game mechanically. I'd be surprised if they didn't help you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.