6,518 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Lennart K.
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello,

since i am from Germany almost all of my games are considered Eurogames. For this christmas i would like to expand my collection with a ameritrash-game for my friends and family. I have a ton of Eurogames on my wishlist but a theme-heavy ameritrash-game that suits my requirements and that i will be able to bring to the table is somewhat hard to find. I scrolled through the Top100 and no game seemed to fit. Maybe you have some ideas.

My requirements are:

- at least 2 to 4 players

- family to "kenner" game = weight 2,0-2,7

- 45-90 minutes (not longer)

- not to expensive (available in europe and under ~50€)

- theme: a big problem, my friends/girlfriend are not very geeky, which means horror/zombie-themes-games will not work. I am also not looking for a pure war-game. It can be cooperative (but doesn't has to be) but can also include some kind of confrontation. Great themes would be medieval/oriental/vikings/pirates/modern etc. which in turn most of the time are euro-games. Space/sci-fi could be okay, but shouldn't be too nerdy.

Greetings and thanks for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound (Third Edition) may be an option for you. Its rules are streamlined, nothing too complicated. Most of the time you won't be attacking each other. The setting is generic fantasy. The only issue may be the time, it takes roughly an hour per player.

A used copy of Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie may be an option as well, this one is all about tearing each other apart. Great fun and easy on the rules. The setting is all kinds of things thrown in, ranging from a T-rex and a dragon to samurais and soldiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple that may work:

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game You can play this Co-op or competitively. Co-op is generally regarded as a better game. It has a 1950s SciFi B Movie style setting.

XCOM: The Board Game Co-op only. This requires an app, which greatly helps with learning the game.

Both should be available within your budget and (according to BGG play times) should be playable in 90 mins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lennart K.
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

thanks for the replies. From the first look that is exactly what i am looking for. I will check videos and reviews.

I will also check out Arkham Horror: The Card Game. I know i said no horror but the horror-theme doesn't seem to scary/strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
How about Blood Rage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Kemet all the way. It's a sheep in wolf's clothing. All Euro mechanisms. Next to zero randomness (the only random element is a single card draw for each player at the start of each round).

When I finished my first game with my in-laws, who are Euro gamers, my father-in-law said, "It's like Puerto Rico, but instead of shipping goods, we're attacking each other."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some recommendations!

- Robinson Crusoe - Very themeatic co-op game. Very challenging.
- Cosmic Encounter - the classic themeatic game.
- Mysterium - a big dunk of theme and relatively co-operative as well.
- Mice and Mystics - if you want some mini's and a cute mousey-medieval theme
- Merchants and Mauraders - great Pirate theme. A little on the long-side. A personal favorite.
- Sentinels of the Multiverse - another co-op, superhero theme!
- Flashpoint: Fire Rescue - third co-op with a great theme and a lot of fun for anyone in the family. Great price point too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lennart K.
Germany
flag msg tools
I thougt Kemet is first and foremorst a wargame? The same with Blood Rage and Cosmic Encounter. Doesnt they feel like wargames? I already have the Game of Thrones Boardgame and enjoy that but wargames doesnt suit the people i play with on a regular basis. Otherwise they seem great and i will keep them in mind for later.

Robinson Crusoe is also already on my watchlist but for now its a bit too heavy and also i thought of it as a theme-heavy euro? Mysterium is a party-game .. I have to get Codenames before i get that.

I'll check Mice and Mystics (favourite for now), Merchants and Mauraders, Sentinels and Flahspoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.