Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

My 6 year old is a bit of a gaming monster and I was wondering if people could recommend some simple hex and counter wargames for us to play. Ideally the game should be fairly quick to play (~1 hour), and he really likes maps with lots of different terrain.

So far with him I've tried:

Imperial Stars II, which was a big hit. This is the perfect level of complexity for him.

Fading Glory, we played the Waterloo scenario 3 times. He coped with the rules fine, but I think he'd like something with more counters and without the sticky ZOCs which make it quite static.

1812: The Invasion of Canada, not hex and counter, but again the perfect rules complexity for him.

Commands & Colors: Ancients, I think he enjoyed this one. I find the setup a bit tedious and wish they'd used the pips on the blocks to indicate strength like in Columbia's block games since that would cut the number of blocks by 3 at least.

Games in my collection that I'm considering:

Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939, there are some small scenarios, and the terrain has a big impact.

Space Empires: 4X, too long IMO.

A Victory Denied, the rules complexity is about right. Chit pull is great. But 3 hours per game is too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6yo, that is now my 8yo, and me have been playing War of the Worlds. I have tried a few other games but not convinced him to not want to go back to that one. It is colorful with the different aliens and machines (but definitely a wargame with hexes and a CRT). Not sure how easy it is to find a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of sci fi games, such as Invaders from Dimension X! which have shorter play times, fewer counters, but still hex-and-counter mechanics/feel. That one, while solitaire, also has 2-player option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Non-historical is fine (like Imperial Stars II). Invaders from Dimension X looks just the right sort of thing. Thanks.

adm1 wrote:
Need it be a historical game? There are a number of sci fi games, such as Invaders from Dimension X! which have shorter play times, fewer counters, but still hex-and-counter mechanics/feel. That one, while solitaire, also has 2-player option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
mbmb
Ogre is fun and fits your time requirements well -- lots of action and doesn't take too long. Also has G.E.V. expansion. Giant space tank -- so theme is good similar to WoW.

Battle for Moscow (second edition) is a little longer than an hour, but if playing the Germans there is a lot of movement (panzers especially). WWII theme similar to a victory denied, but smaller scope and only semi-sticky ZOC.

Jena 20 has a neat variation in the "must attack everybody you are adjacent too" -- introduction to the Napoleonic era and injects a little history into the game.

Talon is another space themed game with fleet battles of large ships -- loads of decisions and actions and very fast paced -- no time to get bored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
d2necro wrote:
Talon is another space themed game with fleet battles of large ships -- loads of decisions and actions and very fast paced -- no time to get bored.

I hadn't realised the Talon rules were so short (10 pages for the basic game). Definitely a candidate. Thanks.

Edit: Hmmm, it's getting hard to get/expensive, I may have to wait for a reprinting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:
Invaders from Dimension X looks just the right sort of thing.
The same company has just released Dead Reckoning which is a 2-player "zombie wargame," as they describe it. I have the game but have not yet played it. The rules look suitable for what you describe your little gaming monster might enjoy (assuming he's into zombies, that is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The violence in zombie games tends to be a bit graphic for a 6 year old.

adm1 wrote:
ShallowThought wrote:
Invaders from Dimension X looks just the right sort of thing.
The same company has just released Dead Reckoning which is a 2-player "zombie wargame," as they describe it. I have the game but have not yet played it. The rules look suitable for what you describe your little gaming monster might enjoy (assuming he's into zombies, that is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Consider Memoir '44. The base game is simple enough for youngsters to quickly grasp the rules. And it has tanks and soldiers. What is not to like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:
The violence in zombie games tends to be a bit graphic for a 6 year old.
Yep. I see your point! (mom of two)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd think Battle Cry or something else in the Commands & Colors series would be a good fit. It's hex and figures, uses a lot of basic wargaming concepts, and plays fairly quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tango Papa Delta wrote:
Consider Memoir '44. The base game is simple enough for youngsters to quickly grasp the rules. And it has tanks and soldiers. What is not to like?

This is essentially my recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had wondered about BattleLore (Second Edition), anyone tried it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:

If you play without the lore deck it's probably fine. The lore deck might complicate things just one step too far. I don't know if you really mind, but some of those demons look a bit scary too.

I'm not really sure as I don't normally play games with children and don't have a good grasp of what they have difficulties with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:

I've only played that and the original Battle Cry! in the series. Of the two, I strongly prefer the latter but many swear by Ancients or Napoleonics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
You might try Strike Force One. A game originally by SPI, but more recently available from Victory Point Games. It was designed as a very simple hex and counter game to introduce folks to wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to consider area movement, I'd consider:

Awful Green Things and Translyvania, both of which my kids (son and daughter) enjoyed at young ages. The latter will be hard to find.

There is also Dungeon, which is a good gate-way game.

I also agree the Ogre is nice (again...always fun for the younger ones to crush Daddy's units :-> ).

Another could oldies would be TSRs Revolt on Antares and Remember the Alamo...though the latter is not necessarily the best of games (but it is simple and one-sided).

Both of these might be hard to find, though...

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starlifter 88
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider Worthington Games Frederick's War. It has terrain tiles and can play in under an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion 1066: The Battle of Hastings and Invasion 1066: Stamford Bridge are low complexity, quick playing (should be 60-90 minutes), and have non-sticky ZOCs. They're also cheap (even on sale now), fun, and tie in nicely with the 1066 anniversary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interested in the topic (I have a three year old that keeps asking questions when I play and likes to throw the dice for me, so there is hope of growing an opponent).

A few more recommendations for you to consider:

Tank on Tank: East Front or Tank on Tank: West Front
Angels One Five (actually no terrain involved but the maps are great and fills the "hex and counter" criteria)
Nexus Ops
Night Drop: 6 June 44 (or be on lookout for the next incarnation of the system in one of the next Battles magazines)

HTH (and please let us know what you ended up choosing and how he liked it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44

My daughter now coming up 10 has enjoyed playing this for a few years now

Command and Colours

Like wise

Another CC game by Borg;

The Great War by PSC nice figures loads of terrain.

Manouevre by GMT, no hexes but nice terrain, card driven game great fun and easy to learn.

Just my two bobs worth!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd do something simple like Melee and Wizard. My brother was able to play these at a fairly young age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Leaping Lemmings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rouleau
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Tank on Tank: East Front is my recommendation. Very large counters that are easily manipulated by small hands and all scenarios can be played under 45 minutes.

When I started playing with my son, we had a house rule allowing him to re-roll or force me to re-roll one result per game; this was enough to balance the game. We have not used that house rule after the first half dozen scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest finding a copy of Napoleon at Waterloo. It's a great little game, designed explicitly to introduce basic concepts of hex and counter gaming. It served that purpose for a whole generation of gamers and is as good today as it was then.

To vary the menu, add a copy of Battle for Moscow (first edition). SPI had done such a great job with NaW that GDW decided to throw their hat in the ring with a similar offering, and Battle of Moscow was the result. Both great games.

I'll note that SPI did eventually switch to Strike Force One as their introductory game, but in my view that was a step too far - simply not enough there. I believe they made that decision based on economics; they were committed to providing free copies of an intro game and SFO was the result. It wasn't a better game than NaW; not even close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.