Elder Sign» Forums » General

Subject: Monster Rewards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Not sure on a certain situation that seems to come up quite often when playing.

When completing some adventure cards the monster symbol appears as a reward. Does this mean that I take a monster token from the box as a trophy or do I have to fight a monster as an additional task?

I have been doing the latter, which of course hardly makes it seem like a reward if you have to roll again. If the latter is the correct procedure should that be done with the remaining dice you have or would you have all the dice pool together again.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That symbol represents a monster you have to place on the board (as part of your reward). You have to take the bad with the good when you defeat locations with that symbol included as a reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn Raider wrote:
Not sure on a certain situation that seems to come up quite often when playing.

When completing some adventure cards the monster symbol appears as a reward. Does this mean that I take a monster token from the box as a trophy or do I have to fight a monster as an additional task?

It means that while processing your rewards, you have to place a monster on an Adventure, exactly as you have to do when a monster is spawned via the Doom Track or Adventure Failure. The FAQ (i think it was) clarifies that the new monsters can be placed on the Adventure which replaces the one you just completed. So: first, take the Adventure card, replace it (if appropriate), then place a new monster into play. You do NOT collect that monster and do NOT start fighting it immediately. i.e. treat it just like any other monster drawn from the monster cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 9 of the rulebook, under "Rewards and Penalties", it says:
Quote:
For each of these icons, a monster appears
(see "Monsters" on page 16).

And on page 16 it says:
Quote:
When a game effect states that "a monster appears," the player
randomly draws one monster marker from the monster cup and
places the marker on a monster task.

So as Stephan said, it is placed on an adventure as normal (possibly even the new one you draw to replace the one you completed). You don't fight it immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the prompt feedback on this and it's all clear now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.