Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolfgang Birner
Germany
Bayreuth
flag msg tools
He's no good to me dead!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I just wanted to ask if someone had the same experience or if we did something wrong:

We played a 3 player normal game after I taught this game last weekend and were all looking forward to this game.

As everybody stayed mainly focused on his own company one of us got the guru and shortly after he placed a radio campaign. This was the moment were the great game became a bit strange to us. As he acquired the radio milestone he put 2 burger on almost every house. All we could do for the rest of the game was just to produce burgers. The demand of 3 things in a house without garden was almost completely filled with burgers and even if a new campaign manager would have done his job, there were so many burgers to be sold that the game lasted only three more rounds and the bank has run out of money.

We all took the 200$ Card. In the last round, so many burgers were sold that even 900$ in the bank would have been payed to us.

We wanted to counter the burger demand but as radio marketing is resolved first no other demand could ever really reach a house. We could just adapt and go for burger cooks and watch the game end.

We wished to have a bit of a "war" about the pricing and marketing but that would only had earn us less money if we did anything else than delivering burgers.

I really want to love this game but my 2 friends were a bit bored of the end. Have we missed something? Is every single turn crucial and we just didn't see this snowball coming?

Maybe we played something wrong. I will go for the rules again but I just wanted to share/ask here on bgg if this "problem" occurred to someone else.

Thanks in advance,
Wolfgang

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you did it right (though the burger demand should only be two so there should be room for one more thing?)

The players very much shape the game here. One player spent time making that huuge burger demand so you should see it coming and be one step ahead of him/her in the burger race
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaanger wrote:

As everybody stayed mainly focused on his own company ...

This will lead to games like the one you described. It is crucial to monitor your opponents and prepare for what they are doing. If he Guru'd to radio and then was forced to move first on the next turn he would have a hard time profiting off of what he chose to advertise, or you would be able to pick up a Luxury Manager if the demand for Burgers was high enough.

Using the advertising of other players is the best way to make money in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With some experience in the game you should be able to see these situations coming (no blame on you or your group, this is really hard to grasp on the first few games, and even if you see it coming, managing the response correctly is difficult).

The best way to counter this kind of thing is to compete on the burger sales. This means ramping up the burger production and lowering prices to try and prevent the radio-player from making sales of their own.

Again, this is not easy to pull of, actually impossible if you didn't see it coming and started preparing for it a few turns ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if there's so many burgers all of you can't satisfy every house, definitely think about the Luxury Manager. If you are always serving the same houses, get a New Business Developer and stick a garden on them to double your profits. Advertise just to these houses stuff that you can produce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aljon Vizewsky
Slovenia
flag msg tools
Well, that is the point of being the first to play a radio campaign, so that you can control demand. Your friend didn't take full advantage of it, he could change the good marketed every round, according to the situation on the board(unless he had eternal marketing, which is not a good combination with a brand director anyway).
The things you could do to stop him are:
-lowering prices
If I read your post correctly, you didn't have any priče wars, which happens in almost every game that I play. Yes, you get less money, but you make more sales and can earn more than your opponent. Sometimes, people drop their prices to 0, so that they only get the "first to market" bonus or just to make sure their opponent doesn't earn anything!
-Supply
If you have a lot of burger chefs and cooks you can make your opponent's marketing work for you!
-building houses and adding gardens to existing ones
Houses with gardens have space for 5 demand tokens, so you can market something your opponent doesn't have a good supply of, so they come eat at your place and pay double!
-Luxury manager
If you think that enough houses will come eat at your place, because you are the only one offering what they want or they only have access to your restaurant, you can hire a luxury manager, which adds 10$ to your prices. If those houses also have a garden, that means $$$$!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Birner
Germany
Bayreuth
flag msg tools
He's no good to me dead!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some very good thoughts!! Thank you very much. I think we had to learn the hard way how this game can be and to stay on our toes!
We just build up our economy engine and as it started to work the game was over. By the way we played the game in about 2 hours!!!
Maybe we should slow down our turns and keep an eye on the opponent!
Again, thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also find this game gets better the more times you play it with the same opponents. You get to learn what their favourite strategies are and you can learn to counter them. Leads to a very interesting meta-game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first half a dozen games should be treated as "learning games".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Defossez
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
that's why after a few games we started playing without the milestones, it becomes a much more friendly game. surprises like you encountered are much less punishing. Everybody has a chance , and more time to fight back. I started a topic about that a few weeks ago: Better without milestone's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bordspelkampion wrote:
that's why after a few games we started playing without the milestones, it becomes a much more friendly game. surprises like you encountered are much less punishing. Everybody has a chance , and more time to fight back. I started a topic about that a few weeks ago: Better without milestone's

While playing without the milestones certainly yields a friendlier game, it also yields a very boring one in my opinion. But YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.