$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 88.3

5,785 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
36.5% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » Rules

Subject: Elevation and line of sight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does elevated terrain affect LOS? I could not find anything in the rules and terrain cards about this. (The PNP rules, I don't have the game yet)
Can you just see through buildings? Can two figures around the corner of a building see each other? Can a figure in the middle on a roof see figures standing next to the building?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Elevated terrain does not affect LoS, as per Kevin Wilson. I don't know if that may change.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hendon

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Look at elevated terrain this way though. You can make a ranged attack against an enemyou on a rooftop or even on the other side of the building, but hitting is unlikely. It is already considered two spaces just to fire up, then you are adding however many extra spaces, making the attack less effecting. You can hit a dude on the edge of a rooftop pretty easily, but hitting someone on the other side, even in the middle of the roof, would be a feat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
magusx12 wrote:
Look at elevated terrain this way though. You can make a ranged attack against an enemyou on a rooftop or even on the other side of the building, but hitting is unlikely. It is already considered two spaces just to fire up, then you are adding however many extra spaces, making the attack less effecting. You can hit a dude on the edge of a rooftop pretty easily, but hitting someone on the other side, even in the middle of the roof, would be a feat.

I'm just house-ruling that elevated terrain blocks LoS. Kevin wanted to keep things uncomplicated, but I expect that will become a popular house rule among the community.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooting down or on the same level you don't get this penalty. When 2 figures are just around a corner of a building they are only two spaces apart. Then there are special moves like "Hurl sai" that make long range attacks much easier.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turtle Freak
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windows.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Turtle Freak wrote:
Windows.

Every building has open windows all along every side? Yeah, not buying it. And for those who plan to use 3D terrain, likely impossible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin specifically stated that LOS rules were designed to be simple rather than realistic. Period. Don't like it? Then house-rule it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
donnbobhardy wrote:
Kevin specifically stated that LOS rules were designed to be simple rather than realistic. Period. Don't like it? Then house-rule it.

Pretty sure that's exactly what I said.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saud M.
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can make sense of it thematically because in the shows (especially the current one) they often throw shurikens and they travel long distances and make curves along the way. So if a target is behind a building or on the side, you can imagine that they curved it around the building.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
donnbobhardy wrote:
Kevin specifically stated that LOS rules were designed to be simple rather than realistic. Period. Don't like it? Then house-rule it.

Pretty sure that's exactly what I said.


Oops. Great minds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turtle Freak wrote:
Windows.

Except on the places where there is a billboard on the roof

I'll have to play the game first, but I think that it will be easier to explain some los houserules than curveball-bullets and x-ray vision.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turtle Freak
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YosT wrote:
Except on the places where there is a billboard on the roof ;)


So imagine there's a wall inside the building underneath where the billboard is. This isn't a physics simulation. I'm genuinely surprised how difficult it is for folks to abstract these concepts out for the sake of simplicity.

Here's a more difficult one for folks to think about: consider how crouching next to blocking terrain that is behind you protects you from attacks in front of you. Sure, you're a smaller target, but then why can't you crouch anywhere?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saud M.
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turtle Freak wrote:
YosT wrote:
Except on the places where there is a billboard on the roof


So imagine there's a wall inside the building underneath where the billboard is. This isn't a physics simulation. I'm genuinely surprised how difficult it is for folks to abstract these concepts out for the sake of simplicity.

Here's a more difficult one for folks to think about: consider how crouching next to blocking terrain that is behind you protects you from attacks in front of you. Sure, you're a smaller target, but then why can't you crouch anywhere?

I'm with you on this. There's a certain point when trying to make the game more thematic where it ceases to feel like a board game and becomes a simulation instead.

I'd rather play with the rules the designer intended and they're the ones he tested for balance. I never house rule anything unless I find the mechanic broken in a way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Turtle Freak wrote:
I'm genuinely surprised how difficult it is for folks to abstract these concepts out for the sake of simplicity.

We're not stupid. I understand your point just fine. I just don't find it fun to pretend a building is composed entirely of open windows when, even if there were such a thing, it certainly would not be something you would find on every building. Hell, why not just go with my son's suggestion that Mikey twirls his chucks and hovers like a helicopter? I mean, if we're abstracting...

Nor am I particularly concerned about one simple, common-sense rule suddenly making the game complex. Elevated terrain blocks line of sight between two characters unless they are both on said elevated terrain. How complicated is that? Kevin specifically said the main reason he didn't do it was to keep the text on the cards simple, not that the rule would make the game too complex.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LOS rules always start out simple, but then get weird when they have to deal with various specifics. Kevin has said he limited himself to what would fit on the cards, and LOS rules in many games end up being two paragraphs with a full page of examples and people still argue over them.
For example:
- Does someone close to the building have LOS to someone on a roof ledge above? Doesn't the corner of the roof block LOS?
- If I'm on top of elevated terrain, can I trace line of sight over other elevated terrain? If so, how close does that terrain have to be?
- If you are in the middle of a roof (not the ledge), who on the ground has LOS to you?

I"m not saying these aren't situations that rules could deal with, but this game was meant to play fast and loose, with fairly middle-weight rules and a minimum of rule-book flipping. Basically ignoring elevation in the LOS rules, especially when you have lots of dense allies and sewers is probably a good way to keep down how much you have to worry about.

"Shoot up & take a range penalty, shoot down and don't" works fine for the kinds of up-close martial arts fights that are happening here.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.