Subject: Rules: M-L, XXXreg, boxed ones... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Siso
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to play QB2 (will be playing solo) and I'm a bit confused on which manual to use.
M-L ones seem the best choice for balance in fun and historicity but Regs XXX seem the prefered ones by many. On the other hand why not use the ones from the box?

Help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you own other games in the series, or do you see yourself buying more of the games? If any of those conditions are true, then I'd say start with the Marie Louise rules. If you're unsure, go with the rules that came with the game. Quatre Bras is an interesting situation that it plays well with all three sets of rules, despite differences between them.

You're bound to get a lot of opinions, so brace yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree will Paul all the way
I did buy all games from ME and CoA
Never played boxed rules, started with MLR on the 4 one map games in the series, now working on Regs XXX and Eylau
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Siso
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Since I have Moscowa (3rd) and Lützen as well as QB2, I'll stick to M-L rules. In fact I see the rules on labataille.us are updated to QB2. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a PDF of an 18-page set of QB specific rules, which doesn't come in the box but which contains significant important rule detail that you will not find in the 48-page rules that do come in the box. I found "rev8" online; it seems designed to accompany either M-L and/or XXX.

So, that's a wrinkle to "just use the ones in the box" advice that is given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parsons
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That link doesn't work for me
And I can't find anything of it on the labatille.us site soblue

says I is forbidden soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to the labataille.us site, you will see a light green bar above the painting depicting Borodino. Dwelling on the portion labeled "The Games" will show you all the games of the La Bataille series which have adaptations fitting them to the Marie Louise and Regs XXX rules. Clicking on the "1815 Quatre Bras I and II" link will take you to the Quatre Bras page, and on the right side of that page you will see various downloads (rules, supplements, etc.).

I'll disagree with the poster above about the downloads on that page adding details to the rules that came with the game as published. I suppose you could combine them, but that wasn't the intent of what's on the Quatre Bras page. These downloads are meant to provide information for adapting the games to the Marie Louise and Regs; if they seem more detailed than the rules that came in the box, it's because those published rules aren't meant to provide that particular detail. I've played the game with the original rules before the Regs XXX or the Marie Louise rules were written, and played it once with the Regs. The game is playable with any of the sets of rules, but the details and "feel" of the play will differ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_peabody wrote:
if they seem more detailed than the rules that came in the box, it's because those published rules aren't meant to provide that particular detail. I've played the game with the original rules before the Regs XXX or the Marie Louise rules were written, and played it once with the Regs. The game is playable with any of the sets of rules, but the details and "feel" of the play will differ.

Sure that's fine, I'm just getting my feet wet here. But I searched and searched the "rules in the box" for terrain impact (eg attacking across a stream), and found nothing. In the supplemental file, it's clear that you become disordered before an attack if it's made across a stream.

Given the deep level of period detail here, I certainly expected key terrain to be covered in the 48 pages of rules. There's several pages of it in the supplement. Glad to have found it, can't imagine playing without it.

Thanks for the navigation details, don't know why the link doesn't work. Will email the doc if anybody needs it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, did you read the chart Melee Modifiers For Infantry & Artillery, in particular the 3rd bullet there that states: All units Assaulting into sunken road hexes or across stream hexsides conduct Melee in Disorder?

You will find this and other charts in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, the 5th Edition rules up for sale on the Wargame Vault now. They are slightly different than what will be in the Ligny box, but only cosmetically. Since they are a download they are in full color with a different cover. The rules in the box are black and white, with a cover appropriate to that.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/197318/Les-Batailles-dan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.