Subject: Event Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Parker
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
So, I'll be playing Base + Flight with five or six players for the first time tomorrow night.

I was thinking about the Event Cards. How do people feel about the Event Cards in Flight (and Event Cards in general)? Do you feel Flight is less fun or balanced if the Event Cards were to be swapped out? I noticed no new Event Cards were made for Climate. Do you think this was a space issue or is it an indication that Event Cards are not that popular?

Personally, I feel the more traits in the game, the better as long as balance is maintained. And Event Cards take up the space of traits. I just got Climate and the Promo III Pack. I was considering taking out the Event Cards in Flight and inserting a couple of the promo Trait Cards instead. Maybe Claws and Timid. Not sure. Thoughts on doing that? Thoughts on which promo cards would be best for Flight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Event cards cause a lot of timing issues when you start thinking about how to implement them for online play against other players. It's very cumbersome to have to wait to ask every opponent if they want to do an event before any player is able to take an action. That's one of the main reason we're moving away from event. The same problem happens in face to face games, but it's not as big of a deal.

If you want to remove seed Dispersal and Dive-Bomb, replacing them with Claws and Timid should be fine. Claws combined with the Flight trait might make Climbing so weak that it never gets played. If that turns out to be the case I might try Timid and Trample. I think they would create an interesting dynamic together. The relationship between Timid, the Watering Hole, the Cliff, and Avian Species needing extra food should be a very interesting one. Sign me up for that game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
The same problem happens in face to face games, but it's not as big of a deal.
we have a lot of 'ok, now we're going t-' 'waaaaaaaaaaait! IWANTOPLAYANEVENT *slams card on table*'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a typical Dive Bomb. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
We ended up picking the two promo traits to replace the event cards at random. So we got Insectivore and Coprophagia.

I never saw a Coprophagia card or I'm sure I would've played it. And my less nature-savy friends were so disgusted by it that they never chose to use it either. So, it never came into play.

Insectivore was used heavily by me and popped up a few other places too. I LOVE this card. Even when the Watering Hole wasn't producing much, I would usually get at least one insect snack with this trait. And I would combine it with Cooperation to really spread the love. It totally helped me compete with all these species flying around me.

The ironic thing is that I've not had a chance to play Climate yet, so I'm probably one of the few who have used the Climate promo cards without having ever played Climate. That will change soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i like Coprophagia and Pest (considered Trample, but it seemed probably a bit too strong compared to Pest) as my cards to replace the events since i think they kind of fit together, but Insectivore was a close runner-up.

i'm so on the fence about Gigantism from the BGG store though. i feel like i'd need to actually play with it to decide if i like it or not, but it seems interesting

also Dom's latest post is making me kind of want to not give up Dive Bomb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.