Subject: Shields & armors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giacomo Fusetti
Italy
Turate
flag msg tools
Hello.
1. If a hero has both an armor and a shield, and chooses to do a guard action, does he roll both the armor and the shield die, or just the shield one?

I understand that if he doesn't guard, he rolls just the armor dice, but I'm not sure about the other case. The rulebook says that a hero must choose just one of his equipment cards when guarding, but it would be weird to wear a "non-functioning" armor just because one uses a shield.

2. I also would like to know what's the purpose of the tokens in this picture, because I can't find them on the rulebook:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Laager
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lexpweller wrote:
Hello.
1. If a hero has both an armor and a shield, and chooses to do a guard action, does he roll both the armor and the shield die, or just the shield one?

the shield, plus one orange die for each gem in the guard action box you playe for this attack
[q="lexpweller"
I understand that if he doesn't guard, he rolls just the armor dice, but I'm not sure about the other case. The rulebook says that a hero must choose just one of his equipment cards when guarding, but it would be weird to wear a "non-functioning" armor just because one uses a shield.
[/q]
the hero cannot block with both shield AND sword for example

[q="lexpweller"
2. I also would like to know what's the purpose of the tokens in this picture, because I can't find them on the rulebook:

[/q]

for futur scenarios... but yeah..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lexpweller wrote:
Hello.

Armor always applies (it's passive defense), except that the forum is apparently divided on whether armor applies to Falling Damage (i won't offer an opinion on that here).

Shields are active defenses, usable against melee, spells, ranged attacks, and area-of-effect attacks (Heroes' Book, page 7, except that it's wording is odd enough to have caused a great deal of confusion in the forums).

You can only use one active defense (e.g. sword OR shield, not both) and non-shield defenses (e.g. a sword or axe) cannot be used to defend against ranged attacks, spells, or area-effect attacks (that's what's the confusing wording is actually saying).

HOWEVER: the English book incorrectly words the Guard activity as if your Active (shield/weapon) and Passive (Armor) dice are rolled in separate pools (which implies that you cannot share re-rolls across them). That is a translation error: Monolith has confirmed in other threads that all defense dice are rolled together, so, e.g., re-rolls from a Shield or Weapon can be applied together with Armor.

lexpweller wrote:

None of the tokens are explained in the current rulebook: they're only explained in the scenarios which use them and their meanings may change per scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought weapons with the guard symbol were for melee guard and shields for ranged, spells, and AOE guard. That is how the Rulebook explains it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clanggedin wrote:
I thought weapons with the guard symbol were for melee guard and shields for ranged, spells, and AOE guard. That is how the Rulebook explains it.

That's the confusing bit about the wording. The rule says:

Quote:
A hero can choose only a shield when defending against a spell, ranged, or area attack.

That does not exclude shields from melee attacks, but rather excludes weapons from the listed types. It is, unfortunately, very close to "can choose a shield only", which would (perhaps arguably!) mean exactly what you suspected it did.

In any case, the wording is confusing but not insurmountable. So... reworded for clarity:

Quote:
A hero cannot chose a weapon when defending against a spell, ranged, or area attack.

or:

Quote:
A shield, but not a weapon, may be used to defend against a spell, ranged attacks, or area attacks.

Or any number of similar formulations.

(Various edits made to improve clarity.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
I assumed those are the fire tokens for the KS scenario where the Picts are trying to set the huts on fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim OConnor
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb

I assumed these were to mark items on the ground actually. Like, if you drop some armor on the ground, you put a 1 on the armor card and a 1 on the space with the armor so you didn't have to put the physical card on the board.

Used for other scenarios makes more sense though

Also, can you still dodge spells? It said you can defend against spells with a shield...but can you dodge them (defend with no equipment)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingofTown wrote:
I assumed these were to mark items on the ground actually. Like, if you drop some armor on the ground, you put a 1 on the armor card and a 1 on the space with the armor so you didn't have to put the physical card on the board.

Used for other scenarios makes more sense though

Both uses sound perfectly viable to me.

Sidebar: as a lifelong software developer, i actually applaud the complete lack of [centralized] descriptions for their tokens! i acknowledge/appreciate, however, that most people strongly prefer more concrete details. (A preference for "reusable abstractions" over "concrete implementations" seems to be a taste generally acquired only by those who live their lives in computer, engineering, and certain scientific fields.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.