Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The green goblin token iconology seems unintuitive to me. Usually we turn things clockwise to increase, and counter clockwise to decrease (like a volume knob). Yet here, we're turning the token clockwise to decrease the goblins health. And the arrows don't seem to help matters. I see three arrows around the outside of a token I assume that's the way I should be rotating the token, but instead it's showing which value to turn to next.

Much of this thinking is due to block war games like hammer of the scots...

---

My other concern doesn't impact the game, but still seems a bit backwards. On the player mat, your starting max health is higher than your starting max power, and so your health value is more to the right, and power is more to the left. But the giant icons on the player mat are in the reverse position. I don't see why this was the final choice here.

---

I know these are both small issues, but they did make me have to think a bit on what I was looking at and the reasoning behind it. Anyone else question these same things? Or is it just me (which it could be I suppose, I'm picky!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clockwise rotation indicates progression. You'll find that the goblin tokens are consistent with other games.

I do, however, agree with the positioning of the power and health on the player mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic!

I have that game, I never thought to look at it because the rotation of those tokens never bothered me. I wonder if it's maybe the arrows throwing me off then? Both your examples above didn't require arrows to indicate which value to rotate too. I think the goblin tokens might be clearer in understanding without them myself.

Thanks for the reply and the examples!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the goblin rotation; they've changed it since the P&P, where they rotated in the other direction. So presumably it is a conscious decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, the one thing that annoyed me about the graphic design in this game was the position of the health vial and power... talisman... thingy. You're also more likely to spend most of your power and not your health, so the marker for current power will for the most part be the leftmost during the game.

Happy to see @creator agrees, and I hope that they can be swapped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so it's clear — while I'm passionately engaged in all things Gamelyn Games, I am not the creator or spokesperson for the company. I'm merely expressing my personal opinion as a fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
litendavid wrote:
Regarding the goblin rotation; they've changed it since the P&P, where they rotated in the other direction. So presumably it is a conscious decision.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed. Looks much nicer in the PnP I guess they're content with it going the other direction. I can live with that. Still, I think removing the arrows would help a lot.

Tjohei wrote:
Lol, the one thing that annoyed me about the graphic design in this game was the position of the health vial and power... talisman... thingy. You're also more likely to spend most of your power and not your health, so the marker for current power will for the most part be the leftmost during the game.

Happy to see @creator agrees, and I hope that they can be swapped.

Ya, good point about spending that power often. I would hope you're not spending health often

Now to poke and prod Rainer to use his connections to get this done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
Just so it's clear — while I'm passionately engaged in all things Gamelyn Games, I am not the creator or spokesperson for the company. I'm merely expressing my personal opinion as a fan.

Haha, I saw game designer and publisher in the corner of my eye and just assumed you were a gamelyn person. Silly me.

Oh, well, I hope @creator will notice this thread, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll take a look at these things. Thanks for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.