Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cedrik Brozek
France
paris
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

I'm asking an easy question :
If I want to play with others heroes, different from those who are advised for the scenario, How do I chose their equipments ?

In fact, is this even possible ?

Thanks you for answers,
By CrÖm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearoxys wrote:
I'm asking an easy question :
If I want to play with others heroes, different from those who are advised for the scenario, How do I chose their equipments ?

It's not an easy question, in fact, because the flexibility of the system makes it non-trivial to "just swap out parts." There are no official answers to this, only speculation and discussion by fans, as seen in various threads.

i recommend starting in thread 1652296.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya,

i tried the first scenario several times solo to get comfortable with the rules. During the last two attempts i swaped the suggested Conan for the mercenary version and replaced Shevatas with Balthus. In terms of equipment i gave them gear according to the character graphic (which was mentioned in another thread on BGG).

Although it's nothing official, it works just fine and the games were still challenging and not messed up. So all in all it's up to you, if you want to stick to the suggested setup for a balanced experience or if you like to try out the characters, which you and your group prefer, which in turn might work or lead to an unbalanced game.

That being said, i'm looking forward for clarifications about this topic in the upcoming second edition of the rules and/or the campaign book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dahkon Dahkon
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will just add that scenarios are not balanced except for "In the cluthes of the picts" (Dans les griffes des pictes) which is 50/50 in terms of balance.
So it means you will either increase the unbalance or improve the balance if you switch heroes. Depends of your choices (and I don't have the perfect answer here).

So if you seek balance it will not be easy at all. But if you want only fun and don't mind losing or winning easy, just go for it.

I can just guess than swaping a Warrior by another, a Mage by another or a Thief (unblockable) by another might be just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dahkon wrote:
I will just add that scenarios are not balanced except for "In the cluthes of the picts" (Dans les griffes des pictes) which is 50/50 in terms of balance.

But i will add that other threads report vastly different opinions on this. i've seen at least 2 threads where the OPs claim that In the Clutches of the Picts is not winnable by the heroes at all if the OL plays his Snake "properly." So, obviously, there will continue to be debate regarding balance of each scenario, especially when they are played using customized setups.

Dahkon wrote:
So it means you will either increase the unbalance or improve the balance if you switch heroes. Depends of your choices (and I don't have the perfect answer here).

There are no perfect answers for that :/. Little changes can have, in some cases, big effects.

i think the most generically useful tip i've seen for tweaking the difficulty is to add or remove gems to/from the OL. e.g. if he wins a scenario, remove one gem the next time he plays it. If we loses, add one gem. If you play a scenario enough, you "should" find a good gem balance in there somewhere. That, however, requires lots of time and experimentation to find the "right" number, and even a single gem can make a notable difference. (How often do you find yourself saying, "if i only had one more gem!")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Talionis
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monolith said that they will give us a way to use other heroes & equipment with the second version of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.