Dr Faustus
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Stone age a lot lately.
And my group find starvation strategy quite annoying and somehow broken.
So we decided that if you can't feed all your meeples, you can pay with resources, as normal, if you have nothing to feed them you lose 5 points per meeple.
This works great for us. Even now, sometimes, people choose to lose some points, but it works.
I am sure someone already played like this by now, and if you know why we shouldn't, please advice.
Any other suggestions?
Stone age is just a great game.
Thanks and Live long and prosper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Starvation is a viable and not unbeatable strategy. We never really worried about it, it's part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Faustus
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Starvation is a viable and not unbeatable strategy. We never really worried about it, it's part of the game.

I'm not saying it's not viable, I'm saying we don't like it, and I am afraid that, even we like this variant, that it might brake the game. That's why I'm posting this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't really break the game either way. There are still ways to make it difficult for the starvation strategy work. If players realize how precarious the strategy is, it will be easier to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike George
United States
Smithville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our game group we let them go into negative points. So it is a long climb back to zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the starvation strategy either and assigning a penalty of 5 points per hungry meeple is an easy way to fix it.

However, it is not a broken strategy. As a matter of fact, it's not that hard to counter. But the other players need to pay attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike George wrote:
In our game group we let them go into negative points. So it is a long climb back to zero.

In other words, you play by the rules?

I used to have long winded rants against variants like this. I'm too tired for that now. Instead, I'll lower myself to 4chan levels and simply say:

Git Gud!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaschitz wrote:
Quote:
non-feeding penalty of 10 points is just too small?

In Czech version of Stone Age, author changed this rule to 4 points penalty for every man without food.

This is from a similar thread. I have not located the primary source though. Just change to -4 VP per unfed meeple, and you will be playing by the Czech official rules. I don't like the awful idea of the successful starvation strategy, I think the Czechs are doing it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Faustus
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
Malaschitz wrote:
Quote:
non-feeding penalty of 10 points is just too small?

In Czech version of Stone Age, author changed this rule to 4 points penalty for every man without food.

This is from a similar thread. I have not located the primary source though. Just change to -4 VP per unfed meeple, and you will be playing by the Czech official rules. I don't like the awful idea of the successful starvation strategy, I think the Czechs are doing it right.

Thank you for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.