Subject: First picture of the Tournament Kit is out! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
In case you don't follow us on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook (you should), here is a picture of our newly minted Tournament Kit. Next week we will release details about how you can ask your FLGS to hold an Evolution tournament.

The T-Rex is top prize, the Foil Night Prowler is for the Top 4 and the Hibernation is for Top 16.

We are very excited about this, we hope you are too, this is the start of a new competitive chapter for Evolution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any way to get "Night Prowler" without a tournament a some later time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope they will make tournament kit stuff available somehow. Gaming is really rare in my country for anything other than X-Wing and Magic to bring in value to game stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Same question here. Will there be any way of obtaining these cards outside of a tournament?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. That'll be the only way to get these items. If you see someone with a t-rex you'll know he won a tournament, so play against him with caution!

Feel free to let your local game store about them. I'm sure they will host a small tournament if you help them get the word out. Or come visit us at a convention. We will use them as tournament prizes at conventions we attend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
So many people think that being bigger makes you a better person.
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Nope. That'll be the only way to get these items. If you see someone with a t-rex you'll know he won a tournament, so play against him with caution!

Feel free to let your local game store about them. I'm sure they will host a small tournament if you help them get the word out. Or come visit us at a convention. We will use them as tournament prizes at conventions we attend.

Coming to any west coast tournaments any time soon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the cards just foil versions of the cards that come with the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
domcrap wrote:

Coming to any west coast tournaments any time soon?

I think the only thing we do on the west coast is PAX. When is that? I think it just happened a month ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:

No. Hibernation is just a card with alternate art (not foil). You get that just for entering. If you make it to the top 4 you get the foil Night Crawler which is a new card. Zoom in on the picture above to see the text. The winner gets the T-Rex meeple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:

So my FLGS asked me to contact you about a tournament kit because they want to host one. The FLGS's name is... uh... Lurkfish Games and... um... they just opened up so they don't have much of a web presence or anything. How about I send you an address and you ship a kit to m... err... Lurkfish Games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure randomness.
Tourney Kit = tourniquet.
It amuses me for no real reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Mr... er... Lurkfish Brown. You'll need a tourniquet if I find out you are lying about the game store!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it need to be a LGS? I'm part of a large gaming organization, Games Club of Maryland, and we are having a Christmas party next month. Attendance was 40+ last year. I can organize a tournament there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be possible for a Convention to order one to host a tournament, or would there need to be an FLGS "sponsoring" the tournament?

Also (and this may be revealed later), is there a limit to the number of kits an FLGS may order? For the purposes of holding multiple tournaments at different times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:
Does it need to be a LGS? I'm part of a large gaming organization, Games Club of Maryland, and we are having a Christmas party next month. Attendance was 40+ last year. I can organize a tournament there.

These kits were designed as perks for retail game stores, but Luke Warren is the person who put it together so you should probably talk to him about it. Can you come to our office in Kensington to discuss?

How many people out of the 40 GCOM attendees do you think would be interested? I think the kits are designed for 16 players (though I'm not sure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
Would it be possible for a Convention to order one to host a tournament, or would there need to be an FLGS "sponsoring" the tournament?

Also (and this may be revealed later), is there a limit to the number of kits an FLGS may order? For the purposes of holding multiple tournaments at different times?

Again, you'll need to talk to Luke Warren about this.

Luke Warren
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Springheeledjack wrote:

These kits were designed as perks for retail game stores, but Luke Warren is the person who put it together so you should probably talk to him about it. Can you come to our office in Kensington to discuss?

How many people out of the 40 GCOM attendees do you think would be interested? I think the kits are designed for 16 players (though I'm not sure).

Bethesda is a bit of a haul for me. Perhaps North star would be interested in attending the Christmas party and running the tournament. Here's the link to GCOM Carney chapter. The page has not been updated with the Christmas party info yet, but you can contact the host for more details.

http://www.gamesclubofmd.org/locations.asp?location=58.

If the venue is too small for you, GCOM holds many local conventions during the year. Perhaps you would be interested in exhibiting and running tournaments at one of those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish we had enough time to do more events, but we're completely packed as it is. You'll just have to go to one of the conventions we attend or get your local game store to host a tournament. I don't see any other option. We put a lot of time, energy, and money to provide the content specifically to enable others to host tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Springheeledjack wrote:

No. Hibernation is just a card with alternate art (not foil). You get that just for entering. If you make it to the top 4 you get the foil Night Crawler which is a new card. Zoom in on the picture above to see the text. The winner gets the T-Rex meeple.

Please try to change that stance with regards to "Night Prowler". I mean I want the T-Rex and having an alternate Hibernation would also be high on my list, but both are just collectibles. IMHO its really sad to see a gameplay relevant card as tournament price only :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
domcrap wrote:
Springheeledjack wrote:

Please try to change that stance with regards to "Night Prowler". I mean I want the T-Rex and having an alternate Hibernation would also be high on my list, but both are just collectibles. IMHO its really sad to see a gameplay relevant card as tournament price only :-(

Agreed, this is like shooting the game in the foot for long-term. Evolution will never have a tournament scene other than casual gaming and it will turn people away rather than be more inclusive if some players are able to start using exclusive cards and others not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I am not a seasoned board gamer. I'm just starting to get into this hobby. I know of places near me that sell board games, but I don't really have a game store that I know and frequent much.

I am interested in an Evolution tournament. How would I find out where one might be near me and if one doesn't exist yet, what can I do to encourage a game store to hold one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
I am not a seasoned board gamer. I'm just starting to get into this hobby. I know of places near me that sell board games, but I don't really have a game store that I know and frequent much.

I am interested in an Evolution tournament. How would I find out where one might be near me and if one doesn't exist yet, what can I do to encourage a game store to hold one?

We will be publishing an image in the next day or so that you can take to your FLGS and it will give them all the details they need. We are hoping to make it as easy as possible for people to request their store get the tourney kit.

We will publish it here, on twitter, on instagram and on Facebook. So if you have a phone, or are able to print from any of those places, you should be able to show your FLGS all the info they need.

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Agreed, this is like shooting the game in the foot for long-term. Evolution will never have a tournament scene other than casual gaming and it will turn people away rather than be more inclusive if some players are able to start using exclusive cards and others not.

The Evolution tournament is quite popular at the World Boardgaming Championship (WBC) and growing. I think it makes sense to nurture this aspect of the game's community. We are not being exclusive. Any game store can organize one of these events. We are even subsidizing the cost of the prizes to help encourage stores to run these events.

Quote:
if some players are able to start using exclusive cards and others not.

I think you are confusing Evolution with collectible card games where each player starts with a different deck. Evolution is a board game, not a CCG. You do not need every card ever printed to play the game. In fact, the most tested and best balanced sets of cards are the ones included in each box that we release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't say that you're not releasing exclusive stuff when in fact it is the very definition of exclusive

Exclusive means: "restricted to the person, group, or area concerned."

This is not something that is possible to be obtained as a fan of your game unless said fan is lucky enough to live in a country with a store that does this.

It is very much exclusive for me and many others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mb
Slashdoctor wrote:
You can't say that you're not releasing exclusive stuff when in fact it is the very definition of exclusive

Exclusive means: "restricted to the person, group, or area concerned."

This is not something that is possible to be obtained as a fan of your game unless said fan is lucky enough to live in a country with a store that does this.

It is very much exclusive for me and many others.

In fairness, anything that costs money, exists in limited supply, or is only found in certain languages will always be exclusive. I doubt I'll have a chance to win one of these here in Shanghai either. As a recent convert to Evolution, I also missed all of the Promo packs. Although my Evolution collection will not likely be complete, the fact that all players use the same deck means that gameplay remains fair, whether I use my copy or the copy of a tournament winning serial Kickstarter backer.

Game balance remains unaffected by exclusivity, but most completionists will be frustrated unless they manage to be involved in a tournament and win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.