BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Reasonable bring-your-own-phone cell plans? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been researching moving our family cell phones to a new text/data plan, but I can't find one where we don't have to buy a new phone as part of the plan. All the carriers seem to moving to that model. Other ones I've found that don't require that are usually $40/month per line. Has anyone found a plan that is more reasonable and bring-your-own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Google FI and Republic Wireless were the two I looked at lately. You don't need a new phone, but you need a phone that supports multiple networks in one SIM card. Luckily, my phone (Nexus 5X) already supported that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I also looked at Straight Talk, but it looks like you have to buy a phone there. May be wrong, could be just the SIM card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this may help:
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/BYO-phones-how-...

Carriers do a very good job implying you need to buy new phones when you don't. All this stuff is screwed up so good luck. Also consider prepay, you'll be a 2nd class citizen but its cheaper.
Sorry I don't have more for ya, I'm just one person with one phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use Republic Wireless. We did need to buy new phones but only because ours were very outdated. So if you have a phone that is compatible you shouldn't have a problem. We pay $10/mo per phone without data, and it's still cheap if you add data. We've had some minor issues, such as getting random calls from strangers on occasion (something to do with having a secondary Sprint number the phones use when not on wi-fi), but for what we pay I can't complain. We used Straight Talk and Tracfone before that and like this better because it's unlimited talk/text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Thanks. I also looked at Straight Talk, but it looks like you have to buy a phone there. May be wrong, could be just the SIM card.

Just the SIM card, my husband moved his phone to this about 2 years ago now I think. Never had an issue with them, service itself has been great too.

He previously used Virgin Mobile, which was great but had to change because they used the Sprint network and his workplace has some sort of security thing with their buildings that requires they have a repeater for cellular signals and their Sprint one was broken and they were dragging their feet on fixing/replacing it. Otherwise the service he got from them was fine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used Straight Talk and Verizon's "The Verizon Plan" with used phones I bought on eBay. The Verizon plan is nice if you have more than a couple lines, as each line costs $20 extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved virgin mobile. It was 35mo. Had it for years. Would go back in a heartbeat. In fact I might, once my contract is up.

Then my wife wanted a phone too and so we decided to upgrade to sprint since they own virgin mobile.
HUGE MISTAKE.
I've never seen dealt with such a bunch of shysters. The initial girl quoted us one price (which I had her write down), then her supervisor quoted another, and tried to say she didn't say that. I produced the paper, then he left to talk to HIS supervisor, then we settled somewhere in the middle because "I can't give that price to my own mother!"
I go home and get online for the billing and all and 2 days later I get a substantially larger bill. I go back in there and complain, He calls his supervisor, does computer magic. At one point had 2 phones up to his ears. Gets it back down. Next day again, next day again. prices fluctuating daily! This went on for 9 days or so. I was in there almost every day.
I dug around on the website, found that I had 14 days to get out of the contract. So I took it all in and said, "I am out". I Went across the street to verizon. They have one price sheet all written down: this is what you get, this is what it costs. Sign me up.
He said sprint needed to release the numbers. So I go over there again and sprintboy calls his boss who tells him to OFFER ME THE ORIGINAL PRICE THE GIRL GAVE ME.
I told him I didn't trust them anymore. If I took that deal, they'd jack up the price the minute I left. His response was that he'd put it in writing..... (Yeah like the girl did?) I said, "I am out! If I never set foot in this car dealership again, it will be too soon"
Yet next month I was back in there. they were still billing me.
To this day a year later, I still get a monthly bill from them marked $0.00 due on this date.

WTF, Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.