$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 63.22

4,489 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.3% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Annie Tipton
msg tools
We're still trying to figure out how to make Harry a desirable hero in the game. His ability (gaining lightning the first time a location token is removed from a location) has been underwhelming to say the least.

I'd like his ability to play into his character somehow, and I've come up with a variant that plays into the fact that Harry's successes often seem to come by sheer dumb luck.

So for game 4 onward, when the Hogwarts dice are in play, we suggest the following variant:

Games 4-6 (mild) spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Games 4-6: Each time Harry rolls a Hogwarts die (and vocally says what he is trying to roll before rolling), if he is successful in rolling what he wants, he gets an influence token.

This should be paired with the proficiency that says the hero can acquire Hogwarts cards that allow a die roll for one less token than the card's price, and that hero can roll that die again if they choose.

Game 7 spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Games 7: Each time Harry rolls a Hogwarts die (and vocally says what he is trying to roll before rolling), if he is successful in rolling what he wants, ALL HEROES get an influence token.

This should be paired with the proficiency that says the hero can acquire Hogwarts cards that allow a die roll for one less token than the card's price, and that hero can roll that die again if they choose.

In game 7, Harry should focus on killing horcruxes.

We haven't played a full game with this variant yet, so I don't know if or how it will affect the game play. I don't think this change in ability will swing the game drastically one way or the other, and I do think it has the potential to give Harry some kind of goal and usefulness -- particularly in game 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any major problems with Harry. His ability is nice in that it can trigger on anyone's turn, and anyone can get the attack token. Basically, as with every other hero, you just have to play to his strength.

My wife and I played yesterday, she was Neville and I was Harry. By the end of the game we both had a few "Remove a token" cards, and Harry's power was triggering left and right. We won with zero control tokens on the first location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little surprised by the number of times people mentioned in posts that Harry was the weakest hero, and Ron was very good. My anecdotal experience had been just the opposite. So, I replayed the entire campaign and tracked the number of times Harry's and Ron's abilities triggered. Harry's ability triggered more times in every game where their abilities were in play. In some of the games, it wasn't even close - Harry's triggered twice as many times as Ron's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonecase gonecase
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
I don't see any major problems with Harry. His ability is nice in that it can trigger on anyone's turn, and anyone can get the attack token. Basically, as with every other hero, you just have to play to his strength.

My wife and I played yesterday, she was Neville and I was Harry. By the end of the game we both had a few "Remove a token" cards, and Harry's power was triggering left and right. We won with zero control tokens on the first location.

Yeah I don't find Harry's power a liability at all, though you need to get the right spell that'll help trigger it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
My favorite character is Harry - his game 7 ability is great; especially when multiple players stack up on "remove control token" cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Funk

Ohio
msg tools
annietipton wrote:
We're still trying to figure out how to make Harry a desirable hero in the game. His ability (gaining lightning the first time a location token is removed from a location) has been underwhelming to say the least.

Wow, I completely disagree. His is the only ability that is active regardless of who the active hero is! Ron's ability only happens on Ron's turn. But if Ron plays Doby, a control is removed and Harry can give Ron (or anyone else) a lightning bolt.. which might give Ron the 3 bolts needed to trip his ability. In game 7 Harry can dole out bolts to 2 players. We've found this to be freaking amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.