Subject: Peace Corps Volunteer: What games should I get/bring? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trek Martin
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Hiya!

I'm moving to Ghana next spring as part of the Peace Corps program. I love and collect board games and wanted to bring some to share with others in Ghana. I'm at a loss for what to bring though, and I'd love to hear some recommendations. Here are some considerations.

1. Fluency in English or any European language will range from shaky to functional, so perhaps abstract or numerically oriented games are better.
2. Ghana has a culture such that witchcraft references and themes are taboo.
3. It'd help a lot if the game were smaller, because of the travel nature of the trip. So card games, or small board games.
4. I've heard from multiple people Uno is a great option. I don't really like Uno, but I guess it's probably a good example of the type of game that'd work well.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi is small, a co-op, and all you need to say is color and number. But, at some point you may get tired of playing it.

I'm sure someone will recommend Hive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Spencerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traders of Osaka - small box game, language independent (numbers only)
Blueprints - small box game, language independent
Yardmaster
Splendor - this is one to take if you don't mind taking the game without the box. The components themselves can be condensed into a pretty small space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.