Hide
10 Posts

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How to use expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clayton Kennedy
msg tools
I understand that expansion story decks replace the core story deck, but how do you use new faction cards? Do you just add them to the core decks for more variety? Do you replace cards in the core faction decks? Help please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any new faction cards you get from expansions are just part of an ever growing card pool that you can build your decks from. So when you sit down to make a deck, you'll just have more cards as options to put into the deck. This will allow you to try out different playstyles or tune your deck for better synergy.

If you're just starting and have a single Core, then your core decks are smaller than the normal deck size so in that case you may just end up adding the new cards to your existing decks until you hit 50 cards. At that point, I would recommend keeping your deck at 50 and to start slimming out any cards that you feel haven't been good performers for you.

What do you have in your collection so far or are thinking of picking up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Kennedy
msg tools
Sleeper from the Deep,Secret of Arkham, the Mountains of Madness, Ancient Horrors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Kennedy
msg tools
Do you have to keep the same number of cards per faction? For ex. Cthulhu has 20 core set cards. Can I only have 20 cthulhu cards in one deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Well, when you read the "deck building" section of the manual (it is at the back) you cna get all the details.. but basically "50 cards" is the default legal minimum size for a deck. the "20" size decks are just demo decks to get your hooked.

You can go as large as you like, but general deck building wisdom across many card games is that you want as "trim" a deck as possible. So I would aim for 50.

As for the expansions, they are not "expansions" in the traditional board game sense. Besides the introduction of some new keywords now and then all the cards do is increase the total "pool size" of each faction. So when you make deck to play, you have a larger selection of cards to choose from.

The story cards are a unique thing. Basically there are 3 official lcg sets that fully replace each other. Though when there was a official tournament scene only the very LAST set was used. That was released in a Cycle Pack called "Revelations" is I remember correctly.

That being said many casuals, myself included, just shuffle all my story cards into a single story deck and deal off the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so that definitely gives you enough cards to easily make a 50 card deck without having to put in everything.

thebalch wrote:
Do you have to keep the same number of cards per faction? For ex. Cthulhu has 20 core set cards. Can I only have 20 cthulhu cards in one deck?

There are no restrictions on what you put into your deck other than a 50 card minimum. You can have any number of factions, and any number of cards for each faction. The limitation is purely a practical one - if you put in too many factions or very few cards of a faction then it can be difficult to get a resource match on your domain to play them.

In practice, most decks have either one or two factions (plus maybe some Neutrals) because this makes it easy to have resource matches on your domains. Since you have the Cthulhu faction box, you'll have more cards for that faction than the others which means you'll probably be looking at making either a mono-Cthulhu deck or a dual faction deck with any two factions. The number of cards do not have to be equal in two faction decks, but I generally recommend for a newer player that you may not want to go under 15-17 cards for either one. Same reason you don't put in 4-5 factions, it might be less reliable to have a matching domain.

This article may be of some help if you're unsure how to build a deck:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/750355/basic-deck-building-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TragicTheBlathering wrote:
The story cards are a unique thing. Basically there are 3 official lcg sets that fully replace each other. Though when there was a official tournament scene only the very LAST set was used. That was released in a Cycle Pack called "Revelations" is I remember correctly.

There are three story decks that were used in official tournaments:
1. Core
2. Secrets of Arkham deluxe box
3. Shifting Sands asylum pack

And then one more used in draft, it came in the draft starter and was kind of a mix of cards from all three prior story decks plus two new stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Kennedy
msg tools
These replies are incredibly helpful. One more thing: what about multiple copies of the same card? I don't recall there being multiples of anything in the core set, so when I saw three copies of single cards in expansions/packs I was a little nonplussed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any deck may have up to three copies of a given card. A complete collection would include three copies of the core set.

A popular variant/houserule/tourney restriction is "highlander," which permits only a single copy of a given card in each deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, you can have up to 3 copies of each card in the deck. The Core comes with 1x of each card in order to show a wider variety of cards. It is common for players to own more than one Core in order to have extra copies of these but not required.

In a competitive deck (of any card game) you usually do want to have multiple copies of things to make your deck more consistent. Typically cards would be 3x if they're important or cards you want to reliably see early in the game. 2x if they're less important or don't need them that early. Maybe only 1x if they're quite situational, high cost cards that you can't even play until very late, or cards you can search for.

These are general rules of thumb though, and things can certainly change if you have search effects that let you find needed cards on-demand.

Unique cards may sometimes have 1 less copy than a similar non-Unique cards too to reduce the odds of drawing a dead card. However, since Cthulhu allows the use of any card as a resource, dead cards are less of an issue in this game than some others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.