Subject: Mobilisation token explanation please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J H
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I am being dense here but I want to make sure that I understand how this works. If I want to take a mobilisation token I have to:

1. Play the politics focus action.
2. Have two matching symbols on face down technology tokens on my player board?

For example, if I have Torpedoes and Targeting that both require the circle symbol. I may take the Circle mobilisation token and then I am able to flip one or both technology tokens making them active? I am assuming the technologies are unavailable until they are flipped by a mobilisation token. Do I have this right? Also, I assume you can't use symbols on active/flipped technology tokens?

I am really excited to get this game played at my next meetup!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Omega Centauri
badge
Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite, you're getting confused with the whole face up/face down technology chit thing, which isn't surprising it isn't as clear as it could have been (sorry about that).

mobilisation
This is a way to get more fleets. Thematically it's ship design, you can utilise your technology to improve your ships. Mechanically you need the right combination of icons on technology, if you have that you use a politics focus action to take it (then it is gone no one else can take it) and get 3 more fleets from the out of play area to your reserve. Page 14 of the rules has an example at the bottom of the page.

fleets
Individual ships aren't represented in the game instead vast fleets, and the number you have is strictly limited (thematically representing your capability to maintain a standing fleet/army, ground units are not represented to control a sector you need a fleet). So the number of fleets you have limits the size of your empire - furthermore the bigger your empire the less you can field a standing task force of fleets, the end up being tied up as garrisons rather than moving around the map as a towering stack of death.

Remember fleets you have are either on the map or in the reserve. Any combat losses go back to the reserve so you can rebuild them later with the assemble action. Mobilise is a way to add more capacity, increasing the number of available fleets.

The culture track takes fleets out of the game, as you advance culturally it gets harder and harder to have fleets, representing your empire growing fat and old.

Face down technology
Okay what the heck is that all about then? Well it's because the chits are small the icons are on the back! So you can't see them unless you have them face down. It doesn't matter which way up you have them on your mat, whatever works for you (except for combat, see below). Technology works as soon as you take it, although energy cells just gives you another fleet and does nothing further.

I recommend getting the mobilise chart I've uploaded to the file section as a player aid, that shows the technologies that link for mobilise tokens, either one per player or one between two works I think.

face down technology - combat
Okay, this is the one part where face up/down matters, and it is only as an aid to ensure you only use a technology once per combat (it works in every combat, just only once per combat) see page 8 of the rules. As you use it flip it over. E.g. I have torpedoes, I inflict two losses in the first round, only, not every round. To remind players I've used it I flip torpedoes over as the double loss is applied.

When I play I gather up the relevant technology off my mat and put it in front of me, resolve the combat and then return the tech chits to my mat.

Oh, and combat tech is very very important, if you don't get some you are in for a painful experience as the other players and the empire will totally dominate you.

basic vs advanced
Fleets are probably the tightest resource in the base game, so getting mobilise tokens in the base game is very very important. In the advanced game there are more ways to get more fleets and more mobilise tokens, so it is slightly less vital (but still important) here resources are the tight resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so when I take the technology chit, it is available immediately. The symbols are there to let me know what I need to be able to add three ships from the stock to my reserve. The term "mobilisation" makes complete sense now. Hopefully, I got it.

Yes, the suggestion in the rule book to take combat tech in the first turn is a good one! I am playing a "solo" 2-player game to get all the rules down before I take it to my game night next week. I want to jump right into the advanced game since the advanced tech and achievement cards seem really interesting.

Thanks so much for answering my question. It is nice to see the designer actively supporting his games.

Any suggestions for starting races for beginners?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just looking at the Reserve Fleet Actions and Turn Order mechanic in the Advanced game. Those really ratchet up the strategy! Love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Omega Centauri
badge
Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Havox wrote:
Ok, so when I take the technology chit, it is available immediately. The symbols are there to let me know what I need to be able to add three ships from the stock to my reserve. The term "mobilisation" makes complete sense now. Hopefully, I got it.

Yep

Quote:
Yes, the suggestion in the rule book to take combat tech in the first turn is a good one! I am playing a "solo" 2-player game to get all the rules down before I take it to my game night next week. I want to jump right into the advanced game since the advanced tech and achievement cards seem really interesting.

Thanks so much for answering my question. It is nice to see the designer actively supporting his games.

Any suggestions for starting races for beginners?

Err, my suggestion for beginners is play at least one game of the base game before jumping into the advanced version - unlike some games there isn't much of a catch up mechanic (other than being limited in fleets) and early turns matter. If you make a mistake early you'll feel the pain for the whole game.

Base game gets players used to how small the map really is, how move and combat work, how the empire works. Scoring is point salad, so doing anything gets you points. After you can show the extra stuff the advance game adds. The base game is a game in it's own right, and some groups prefer it ...

Advanced game is much more punishing, it is very strategic, you need to decide what route you are taking for points and then how to do it.

Base game shouldn't take much more than an hour (unless players are slow/unfamiliar with conflict games) and will probably end just as one or more players are setup to really start rolling. Jumping into the advanced game straight off might see it take twice as long as it should as players struggle to grasp all the moving parts, and someone will make an early poor choice. If nothing else you all have to plan your turn in advance (pick your three actions and the order before you know what others are doing) doing that when you are unsure is hard. Base game you can explain it as you go see this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, you convinced me. Base game it is. But with my solo game, I am going advanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.