3,644 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I ordered some 'Scooby Doo' style miniatures, along with some others, from the website Hasslefree Miniatures.. The shipment was delayed, but they threw in a few free minis for the wait!

Anyway I'm still new to painting, and I'm only partway into my first project of painting my minis from Last Night on Earth, which are your typical plastic board game minis..

These miniatures from hasslefree are metal, for one, but also, they come detached from a base.

What is the best way to prepare these miniatures for painting?

As they are metal, is it still okay to wash them in warm soapy water?
Also, I assume my Duplicolor Sandable White Primer will be alright as well?

But maybe I should attach them to their bases first.... and... How does one do that? Just super glue them into place, or is there more to it?

I also ordered this guys ( http://www.hfminis.co.uk/img_cms/product_images/HFGGL2%20Alp... ) and he doesn't come with a base (he's rather large, and the little piece of metal between his legs doesn't seem sufficient to keep him standing) Should I check out a local game store to find an appropriate thing? He's also a little crooked, I think.. Is it possible to bend his little minibase into a better position with pliers?

Any other tips would be helpful.

Really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct on all counts, and have the basic gist of what you need to do already. Your primer is perfect for metal, and the only things you are missing for prep are some small files. These will be used for removing the mold lines on metal models.

All you have to do is glue the integrated base the model has in the picture there to a base. They are easy to find and plentiful at any LGS that sells miniatures.
Alternately, you could clip him off of the integrated base and pin his feet to a new base. eg. pin through foot, and glued, then pin inserted into base and glued.

Check my profile for my YouTube channel, and Patreon page. They should assist with any more questions you might have in regards to the hobby.

Also, it's better to post in the Miniature Painters Guild for any sort of miniature painting/modeling questions.

http://boardgamegeek.com/guild/909
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For any excess metal, get yourself some cheep Needle Files from a model or hardware store. Thay are also useful in making a slotted base slot bigger if you need to.

Now there are lots of way you can get the base ready, but I currently use a filler (use a stiff mix) which levels and fills any gaps on the base and then roughly stick some sharp sand on it with PVA, than undercoat.

Check out the miniatures wiki for some links to other articles on miniatures.

Have a look at the photos of miniatures in the Miscellaneous Miniatures Game Accessory entree for some ideas on the bases.

Examples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got some minis from Hassle Free a couple months ago and asked the same questions. They were the first minis that I had to assemble and the first metal ones that I had bought. I even bought a hand drill to pin the arms on, but it was unnecessary. Just score areas you want to glue with a hobby knife, apply the glue and hold in place. I also glued them to the bases and smoothed the gaps on the bottom with some green stuff and then primed them.

Here's a few of the finished products. It was more work, but I am very happy with how these turned out and my friends think they're cool so it was all worth it. Enjoy assembling your minis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the tips guys.

It might be a few weeks before I can get to these minis, but now I'll be ready for them.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.