$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the benefit of an occupation that triggers during an action be used as part of that action?

Example: I have the Bosporus Merchant in play and I take the Overseas Trading action.
Bosporus Merchant: "With each new spices you receive in your supply (in any way), you also receive one oil."
Spices is blue and oil is green.
Overseas Trading is the action that allows you to upgrade one of each green good to blue.

So if I use Overseas Trading to upgrade skin 'n bones to spices, thus triggering the receipt of an oil, can I then upgrade the oil to a rune stone (assuming I didn't already upgrade an oil this action)?

UPDATE: To save people the trouble of reading the whole thread, Frank Heeren has given us the answer:
nan3000 wrote:
No you can't. You have to finish the Overseas Trading action before the Bosporus Merchant comes into in effect (flipping all green tiles is one action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Bosporus Merchant and Overseas Trading
Good question. I'm going to guess maybe, because it was confirmed you can activate a card's effect in the middle a multi-part action where part is an upgrade.

This situation is a little different though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd allow it. It isn't like you 'declare all items, then flip' you flip any number of not the same green tiles. when you flip the bones into spice you get a barrel, so it's one more green good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question indeed.
My personal thought goes towards no.
My understanding is you can activate occupation between actions spaces that let's you do multiple steps for example the silver and beans spot, get a silver, use that silver to activate occupation to play a new occupation, now get the beans and get a bonus from the new occupation. Something like that.

This however feels as 1 step, flip al different green tiles. You can activate an occupation before flipping them al, or just after.

I could be wrong offcourse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
Good question indeed.
My personal thought goes towards no.
My understanding is you can activate occupation between actions spaces that let's you do multiple steps for example the silver and beans spot, get a silver, use that silver to activate occupation to play a new occupation, now get the beans and get a bonus from the new occupation. Something like that.

This however feels as 1 step, flip al different green tiles. You can activate an occupation before flipping them al, or just after.

I could be wrong offcourse.

Thing is, this is a red occ. The player never activates it, an event activates it. It doesn't say you get the oil after an action where you got spices. It just says you get oil when you get spices. That sounds to me like you get the oil during the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say yes. Judging by the answers to other rules queries, this game seems to be quite friendly towards combos and card interactions. Unlike, say, a Martin Wallace game, where the harshest interpretation is likely to be the correct one, AFfO rulings have been surprisingly lenient. Maybe it's just that Frank and Uwe are nice guys. "Sure you can do that - why not?"

(Not that I'm suggesting Martin isn't a nice guy, of course!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Krainbring
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Allowing this would make sense thematically as well. It's not like you're just dealing with one merchant during that action but with a multitude of them. The Bospurus merchant is especially smart trading with spice merchants being able to geet some oil from that particular person as well. This oil, however, may be traded during the same trip without problems.

Not allowing this would mean the vikings would get the oil thrown after them just after (or at least during) leaving port on their way back home. That would seem odd to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Can the benefit of an occupation that triggers during an action be used as part of that action?

Example: I have the Bosporus Merchant in play and I take the Overseas Trading action.
Bosporus Merchant: "With each new spices you receive in your supply (in any way), you also receive one oil."
Overseas Trading is the action that allows you to upgrade one of each green good to blue.

So if I use Overseas Trading to upgrade skin 'n bones to spices, thus triggering the receipt of an oil, can I then upgrade the oil to a rune stone (assuming I didn't already upgrade an oil this action)?

No you can't. You have to finish the Overseas Trading action before the Bosporus Merchant comes into in effect (flipping all green tiles is one action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
grant5 wrote:

This is what we get for calling Frank nice. He comes in and gives us a tough ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, first time my more "difficult" approach is the correct interpretation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
At least it's consistent about not interrupting actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
grant5 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification Frank!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.