$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 100.06

6,344 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
40% of Goal | left

Support:

Trev C
msg tools

Does "This turn" mean only when I'm playing? Or can I gain a hero that was KOed on another player's turn? Where's the limit exactly?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can only play it on your turn, so yeah, only your own KO'd heroes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not true. Feast can happen and KO someone else's Hero, to name just one example.

Any Hero KO'd during YOUR turn may be gained. Or, rather, any Hero KO'd during the turn of the player who gains the benefit of this card text. (There are also cards that let you play cards in other players' decks!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Examples of KO'ing things other than your own heroes:
Super Skrull
Melter (either form)
Escaping villains
Massive Earthquake Generator
Carnage Master Strike

As long as these happen on your turn, it's all fair game. I'm sure there are more, but these are the main ones that occur to me. How can we abuse this?

Super Skrull: Not really any way other than making them also discard cards before it, which would be a tall feat.
Melter: This is outright theft by choosing to KO what you want to take.
Escape: Get more Villain cards played, such as Endless Armies of Hydra or Emma Frost
Massive Earthquake Generator: Not really something you can set up, except maybe with Black Swan.
Carnage: Even harder to set up. Unless Deadpool offered something, I don't know what would let you stack Master Strikes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev C
msg tools
Right so that's my problem. "This" turn leads me to believe something other than my own. So I'm imagining two options:

1) If the villain deck is played and there is an escape, on "my" turn, and I KO a card from HQ, I can then pick it up if I play this card, but only if this happens as I am set to play it.

2) If the villain deck is played on another player's turn and there is an escape, and they choose to KO a card, I can then pick it up on "my" turn if I play this card. This is because their turned still falls under the definition of "this" turn on the card.

As previously mentioned other things can get KO'd, but that's my example

From what I can tell based on the response, the right way is option 1. "This" only applies to anything KO'd after any other players finish, and from the point of where the villain deck is played into "my" turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The well-intentions actually muddied your waters, but your first option is a valid example.

In this case, "This turn" is your turn only. There are more than one way for cards to be KO'd on your turn, but this only applies to the turn that you play the card. With only a couple of specific exceptions that state you can play a specific card at any time (this isn't one of those cards), you can only play them when it's your actual turn.

As an aside, if you take a look through Phoenix Force Cyclops' deck, he has cards that KO something and this card brings those cards back. It's thematic and mechanically appropriate for that synergy.

**edit for clarity**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The fundamental mistake here is confusing turns with rounds. This game doesn't really use the concept of a round much, but a round is basically a set of all players' turns. Your turn begins with the Villain deck being played, and ends with you refreshing your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev C
msg tools
Organous wrote:
The fundamental mistake here is confusing turns with rounds. This game doesn't really use the concept of a round much, but a round is basically a set of all players' turns. Your turn begins with the Villain deck being played, and ends with you refreshing your hand.

Ah, yes! That clears it up perfectly when you put it that way.

Thud105 wrote:
The well-intentions actually muddied your waters, but your first option is a valid example.

In this case, "This turn" is your turn only. There are more than one way for cards to be KO'd on your turn, but this only applies to the turn that you play the card. With only a couple of specific exceptions that state you can play a specific card at any time (this isn't one of those cards), you can only play them when it's your actual turn.

As an aside, if you take a look through Phoenix Force Cyclops' deck, he has cards that KO something and this card brings those cards back. It's thematic and mechanically appropriate for that synergy.

**edit for clarity**

True. Though a lot of times you may not get more PF Cyclops in a game. I was also trying to think of just how powerful it could be. In theory, I can choose to KO a 7-8 cost hero from HQ after an escape, and gain it with this card so long as it was my turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Organous wrote:

Good point. Yes, the turn begins with you playing the Villain deck and ends when you redraw a hand (and resolve all end-of-turn effects). Then the next turn (that of the next player) begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor7 wrote:
Organous wrote:

Ah, yes! That clears it up perfectly when you put it that way.

Thud105 wrote:

**edit for clarity**

True. Though a lot of times you may not get more PF Cyclops in a game. I was also trying to think of just how powerful it could be. In theory, I can choose to KO a 7-8 cost hero from HQ after an escape, and gain it with this card so long as it was my turn.

Nice idea, but you have to KO a hero of cost 6 or less when there's an escape.

Some villains and masterminds can KO those high-cost heroes, which would be good for PFC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
Not true. Feast can happen and KO someone else's Hero, to name just one example.

Any Hero KO'd during YOUR turn may be gained. Or, rather, any Hero KO'd during the turn of the player who gains the benefit of this card text. (There are also cards that let you play cards in other players' decks!)
well, not completely true or partially not true, but that's a good point.

i had thought of Rogue's rare as a way for someone to play it from someone else's deck, but the person playing it is still the person benefiting from the effect and who is likely to have KO'd heroes that turn (but i hadn't thought of Feast, so that's a good point).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.