30.9% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Musing of an Ameritrasher: My thoughts on Arkam Horror: The Card Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
[Warning: English isn't my first language so I'm sorry if this is a little clumsy]

This is another review in my fledgling review series! In my first review I set the standard for these reviews. I start with a summary of the game and then pros/cons. I don't cover rules as plenty of other reviewers do that! (and my english is probably not good enough to do it without mangling it.)

Game Summary:
Arkham Horror: The Card Game is Fantasy Flight's latest foray into the LCG world. This time they're giving the co-op format another shot, their other attempt being LotR LCG. The game is set in the same universe as the Arkham Horror game and its offshoots. I will say now that whilst this universe makes use of elements of the Cthulhu mythos I find it hard to call it lovecraftian. The characters are quite often larger than life and pretty heroic. To put it bluntly I do not like this universe much at all. HOWEVER I am willing to give most games a try and I know some people love this universe. You go around completing various scenarios as part of a very loose "campaign" and as you go around story stuff happens. It's interesting to say the least.

What I liked:
This game is a bit of a hard one for me, I realise I'm going to be unpopular when I say this but I didn't really enjoy it all that much. I will admit that there are things I like though. So without further ado:

-The game mechanics: Generally I found the game mechanics to be pretty sound, they were easy enough to grasp the basics of and besides a couple of weird moments I was able to quickly and smoothly play the Investigator's phase. I did enjoy the basic card playing and I like the versatility of the actions.

-The flavour text: This might seem weird but I'm counting flavour text as distinct from theme for this one. Regardless of how I feel about the theme I did find the flavour text nicely written and was generally enjoyable. (Though still not in the style that I would find befitting for a Lovecraft story)

-Deckbuilding: Deckbuilding in this game is a bit of a mixed one for me. My main positive is that the base deck building is simple enough to pick up quickly and enjoyable enough to make it feel worth giving a try. However it ends there.

What I don't like:
To cut it short. There's enough I don't like in this game for me to consider it a bad game but I think others will enjoy it. In the spirit of fairness (and of being afraid of being to negative) I will list only three things I didn't like about the game. So here we go!:

-The theme: For a start I am not a fan of the "Arkham Files" universe. I do like cosmic horror but I feel this universe is a bad example of it. The problem is that the base universe isn't my issue with the theme here, it's more that it feels non-existant. So the flavour text is great and I wish Pathfinder ACG was more like this in that aspect but the feeling of theme in play was non-existant to me. It felt very mechanical and card gamey, I didn't get any feeling of the Lovecraftian setting from gameplay. Enemies just felt insignificant and more drudgery than a genuine threat. Beating the last boss of the first scenario took me all of 2 actions which didn't help. Like I would have enjoyed more of an epic showdown to be honest. Even though the mechanics of the game are nice I just couldn't get into the theme, it just felt empty to me.

-The Encounters: I like the base mechanics but to me most of the encounters were just annoying. Not like "oh damn, this could be bad" but more "Ugh, more fog, whatever." Almost every encounter just seemed like stupid time wasting to me. Not something making the game more intense, just something dragging the game on. I couldn't get my head around this because it feels like such a missed opportunity. Enemies are generally disappointing too, weak or easy to beat if you understand basic strategy and the fact that you can control who engages who to some degree also takes out the fear factor/fun.

-The Campaign: I like campaign modes a lot! Heck, I love a good campaign mode! To me a campaign mode can be a selling point on an otherwise average game. There is one caveat however, if the campaign mode is bad then I'll hate it. This game has one of the worst most tacked on campaigns I've ever seen. Sure there's a bit of text reading and arbitary choice making but I never felt like I was playing a campaign. I didn't get attached to my character and the stupid deckbuilding advancement was just more of a chore than "Wow, awesome! I levelled up." Also the fact that the leading investigator is sometimes the only one who gets bonus rewards kinda annoys me. Like I think levelling/rewards should be well spread. Just rewarding the leader is a huge middle finger to the other players in my mind. The fact that they sell this as the main mode of the game is pretty disappointing. I'd rather have no campaign than this. The levelling/improving and rewards just really do nothing for me. The game is worse with them.

Overall Opinion:
My overall opinion is simply that I just don't like it. I mean, there's a good core here, but for *me* it's mired with problems that just make it undesirable. It's a slight shame that I personally don't enjoy it as I'm sure it'll get a lot of content and give people who enjoy it many hours of fun. Even though I find the issues of with this game enough to bring it down I do think many other people will enjoy it. That is to say that even though I didn't like this I do think it's definitely worth trying either way, you never know, you might love it!

My rating? Uhm... 4 out of d10-8 tentacles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting view point and well articulated.

Cannot agree with any of your negatives. I love the theme, the story created by the cards drew me (and my son) "in" - never got annoyed even though we lost. The encounters seemed to work well for our 2 games.

I cannot comment on the campaign system as yet to try it. Read through it and it seems OK. I did not mind the Valskyrr Mistfall campaign so I am in no way a 'barometer' of a good campaign!

I enjoyed it, and think it will be up there with LoTRLCG as the system grows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ValDoonican wrote:
Interesting view point and well articulated.

Cannot agree with any of your negatives. I love the theme, the story created by the cards drew me (and my son) "in" - never got annoyed even though we lost. The encounters seemed to work well for our 2 games.

I cannot comment on the campaign system as yet to try it. Read through it and it seems OK. I did not mind the Valskyrr Mistfall campaign so I am in no way a 'barometer' of a good campaign!

I enjoyed it, and think it will be up there with LoTRLCG as the system grows.

Honestly what matters is how much you personally enjoy it! I did have a hard time with the theme but that could just be because I'm not hot on this style of story. I mean I can get into pathfinder ACGs theme so maybe it is just a bias. Also having slept on it I do feel like I was a little harsh perhaps? I can see this getting play with my friends and I believe the mythos campaigns are substantially longer which would increase play value for me!

I would also like to add that I might have been unfair on the campaign. This game is going for a wider audience than most campaign games and so a simpler system is more of a benefit for them. Maybe when I play the expansions I'll re-review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
shogekiha wrote:

I would also like to add that I might have been unfair on the campaign. This game is going for a wider audience than most campaign games and so a simpler system is more of a benefit for them. Maybe when I play the expansions I'll re-review?

Yeah I would think the core box is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the campaign system. I would love to see a deck after a whole cycle and how it evoles over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hei there,

You are of course allowed to have any opinion on the game, just let me ask a couple of questions:

shogekiha wrote:

-The Campaign: I like campaign modes a lot! [...] Also the fact that the leading investigator is sometimes the only one who gets bonus rewards kinda annoys me.

That is not true. I have played the full game and ALL players get experience. There is a way for the lead investigation to gain a bit more (not giving more details because it might spoil others) but it is rare and by far not the main amount.

Also, it looks to me that you only did the first adventure. You say you killed the boss with only 2 actions...so you played solo with Roland? This scenario is an easy one for you to learn the rules, designed in a way that Roland you cannot really fail. I would recommend you try mission 2 and 3 with more players and/or different characters. You might be surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What difficulty level did you play on and what investigators?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nushura wrote:
Hei there,

You are of course allowed to have any opinion on the game, just let me ask a couple of questions:

shogekiha wrote:

-The Campaign: I like campaign modes a lot! [...] Also the fact that the leading investigator is sometimes the only one who gets bonus rewards kinda annoys me.

That is not true. I have played the full game and ALL players get experience. There is a way for the lead investigation to gain a bit more (not giving more details because it might spoil others) but it is rare and by far not the main amount.

Also, it looks to me that you only did the first adventure. You say you killed the boss with only 2 actions...so you played solo with Roland? This scenario is an easy one for you to learn the rules, designed in a way that Roland you cannot really fail. I would recommend you try mission 2 and 3 with more players and/or different characters. You might be surprised.

When I say bonus rewards I mean like the lead investigator getting the ally card. I feel like you're being condescending to be honest. As for the 2 actions that was me making a mistake, my English isn't perfect and what I meant to refer to was the full 3 actions of 2 investigators. So it took 2 investigators one turn.

The difficulty level was standard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shogekiha wrote:

When I say bonus rewards I mean like the lead investigator getting the ally card.

Well, the card you are talking about is nice, but it is not the main reward.

shogekiha wrote:

I feel like you're being condescending to be honest.

Why?

shogekiha wrote:
As for the 2 actions that was me making a mistake, my English isn't perfect and what I meant to refer to was the full 3 actions of 2 investigators. So it took 2 investigators one turn.

Ok, but you still have not answered my main questions: did you do only mission 1? The training one? Or have you gone further into the whole campaign? And now that we are at it...can you describe which 6 actions you did to do 10 damage to the boss?

In any case, I will be happier if you do not like the game. I am looking for a second hand core set. PM me if interested to sell xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nushura wrote:
shogekiha wrote:

When I say bonus rewards I mean like the lead investigator getting the ally card.

Well, the card you are talking about is nice, but it is not the main reward.

shogekiha wrote:

I feel like you're being condescending to be honest.

Why?

shogekiha wrote:
As for the 2 actions that was me making a mistake, my English isn't perfect and what I meant to refer to was the full 3 actions of 2 investigators. So it took 2 investigators one turn.

Ok, but you still have not answered my main questions: did you do only mission 1? The training one? Or have you gone further into the whole campaign? And now that we are at it...can you describe which 6 actions you did to do 10 damage to the boss?

In any case, I will be happier if you do not like the game. I am looking for a second hand core set. PM me if interested to sell xD

Alright, I played the full campaign. Action combo was priest engaged with Roland in location with clue and Wendy. Dynamite for 3 damage, two successful hits with the revolver which hits for 2 each time and then Wendy attacked with knife and discarded knife that does 2 hits and kills Priest.

As for selling my copy I will have to politely decline. I already said that even though I didn't enjoy the game fully it still has it's merits and I look forwards to trying a full campaign with the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw you didn't like the theme I knew you wouldn't like the game. This game is all about it's theme. If you don't enjoy reading the flavor text and imagining the narrative that is playing out on the table it is going to be a fail for you. It's a horror game and more than that a Lovecraft horror game. It wouldn't be supporting it's theme if the game wasn't punishing. Therefore the fog and locked doors and other setbacks are just in support of the types of stuff you see in these Arkham File games.

Most of what you wrote is your opinion and people need to remember there is no such thing as an objective review (that would be a component list and a summary of the rules with no comment on the game whatsoever). Reading a review will always be that person's opinions so don't pile on him too much. If he didn't like it then he didn't like it. That's fine.

That said I do disagree with you when you say the campaign feels tacked on. The campaign is at the heart of this game. It was designed with campaign play in mind first and foremost. Scenarios change based on the choices you make and your decks change based on the experience you gain (and all investigators gain experience each scenario). The lead investigator bonus asset you talk about only happens on the first scenario and if you read the campaign guide it comes with a penalty. That only happens on certain branches of the resolution. The card itself helps the whole group not just that investigator so everyone is happy that the player gets it. The lead investigator mechanic is just a way to give a deterministic outcome to decisions rather than risk arguments at the table. Also you are free to switch up lead investigators per scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to the campaign bit... Remember you're not seeing a real campaign here, just the little core tutorial campaign. A full lengths campaign will involve even more ties between individual scenarios and consequences to your decisions.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
About the lead investigator getting Lita in their deck... They wanted to have a way for her to join your party and this is how that works. She's one person, can't really put her in everyone's deck so I'm not sure what they could have done differently. It's also uncertain whether having her is an advantage or not given that choosing that story branch also comes with disadvantages too. Your deck is one bigger (less consistent), and she competes with any other allies you have. Say you've got Leo de Luca in there, is Lita better? Will you be sad if you play Lita and then draw Leo later or vice versa?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
dboeren wrote:
To add to the campaign bit... Remember you're not seeing a real campaign here, just the little core tutorial campaign. A full lengths campaign will involve even more ties between individual scenarios and consequences to your decisions.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
About the lead investigator getting Lita in their deck... They wanted to have a way for her to join your party and this is how that works. She's one person, can't really put her in everyone's deck so I'm not sure what they could have done differently. It's also uncertain whether having her is an advantage or not given that choosing that story branch also comes with disadvantages too. Your deck is one bigger (less consistent), and she competes with any other allies you have. Say you've got Leo de Luca in there, is Lita better? Will you be sad if you play Lita and then draw Leo later or vice versa?"

I was trying to avoid spoilers, though I am ware of that.

And to Mathew Rynich, I have no issue with theme or punishing games, it's just this one didn't quite gel right for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
Nushura wrote:

That is not true. I have played the full game and ALL players get experience. There is a way for the lead investigation to gain a bit more...

shogekiha wrote:

So what the OP said, was in fact True. If there are ways for the lead investigator to gain more xp (or advantages) that are not available to others, the OP has correctly informed other potential buyers of how the game works and what he did not enjoy.

Nushura, if you wish to inform the populous that what the OP referred to only happens in a very specific instance that is fine. But he has most certainly not lied to anyone.

I really liked your review, I am interested in this LCG, but I find people often rave about new games instead of providing useful reviews. Thank you very much, this review has shown me that I want to play this game at least once before committing to purchasing it.

Also, when I look at replies from people trying to explain/defend the campaign from the opinions expressed on the Review I find it intriguing that they all explain it from a very "deep understanding" of the game. If the campaign was as good an immersive and only a "tip of the iceberg" it should be obvious to people (of all experience levels), the fact that it requires people to go and explain it to others just shows that it isn't that great.

TL;DR - Thank you for review, I appreciate your opinions as they have informed me in my buying decision. If the campaign is that good the OP wouldn't need you to explain it to him, he would have wrote a review on how good the campaign was/could be.

Edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shogekiha wrote:
-The theme: For a start I am not a fan of the "Arkham Files" universe. I do like cosmic horror but I feel this universe is a bad example of it. The problem is that the base universe isn't my issue with the theme here, it's more that it feels non-existant. So the flavour text is great and I wish Pathfinder ACG was more like this in that aspect but the feeling of theme in play was non-existant to me. It felt very mechanical and card gamey, I didn't get any feeling of the Lovecraftian setting from gameplay. Enemies just felt insignificant and more drudgery than a genuine threat. Beating the last boss of the first scenario took me all of 2 actions which didn't help. Like I would have enjoyed more of an epic showdown to be honest. Even though the mechanics of the game are nice I just couldn't get into the theme, it just felt empty to me.

I mean if you don't like the Arkham Files universe you aren't going to like this game no matter how good it is mechanically. I am surprised in a game this saturated with theme you found it devoid of theme, but again that was your experience so I can't fault you on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
Or possibly he was providing a frame of reference for the person reading the review? So that we can realize "ok this isn't a guy/girl that owns every Arkham Files game ever" - how does the theme come across to someone like that.

I find this extremely useful in a review - listing the extent of experience within certain game types or themes.

It is possible that the review could have gone:

"For a start I am not a fan of the "Arkham Files" universe." But Boy oh Boy did this game pull me in to be a fully fledged Mythos lover!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He was, and I was saying then I am not surprised he didn't like the game. This is an extremely theme driven game.

Please don't take my words out of context. I was saying that reviews are opinions and all opinions are valid (even ones I disagree with).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
When I say I do not like this setting it does not mean I am averse to it entirely and nothing will ever change my mind. For years I didn't like WH40k's universe but after reading a few Horus Heresy books I am able to enjoy it. You see, if the writing or storytelling is good enough I can still enjoy something set in a universe I don't like or based on themes I don't normally enjoy.

Discounting my entire review with silly rhetoric about how I'm not a fan of the Arkham Files universe is a little insulting. The theme wasn't the only thing I disliked and I said the prose/flavour was generally well written so I think you're ignoring that too. Honestly bigger issues for me is that just because I read some flavour text doesn't mean I'm feeling the theme in the gameplay. Magic the Gathering has flavour text, does that mean it's highly thematic? No, it does not. I feel this game is the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:

Is it really hard to fail The Gathering with Roland solo? I managed that quite easily. With 5 sanity and 1 horror taken by a story event you can only survive one attack or retaliation by the final Ghul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shogekiha wrote:
When I say I do not like this setting it does not mean I am averse to it entirely and nothing will ever change my mind. For years I didn't like WH40k's universe but after reading a few Horus Heresy books I am able to enjoy it. You see, if the writing or storytelling is good enough I can still enjoy something set in a universe I don't like or based on themes I don't normally enjoy.

Discounting my entire review with silly rhetoric about how I'm not a fan of the Arkham Files universe is a little insulting. The theme wasn't the only thing I disliked and I said the prose/flavour was generally well written so I think you're ignoring that too. Honestly bigger issues for me is that just because I read some flavour text doesn't mean I'm feeling the theme in the gameplay. Magic the Gathering has flavour text, does that mean it's highly thematic? No, it does not. I feel this game is the same thing.

Hi Raegan-

Welcome to the Geek. If you look around, the negative reviews end up getting the most responses. What it boils down to is that when someone dislikes a game, for whatever reason, others feel a need to pick apart a review and try to quantify why. It's like some defense mechanism kicks in and people feel a need to protect something they enjoy.

Your review was well written and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, very helpful. I love the Mythos world since Sandy Petersen created The Call of Cthulhu RPG. So I am hooked into it already. But there will be many others who are not. This review is for them and they will need it. They will want to know if as an RPG LCG, do the mechanics work even if the theme is meh. Sometimes a game can pull people into a theme, sometimes it can't.

Keep the reviews coming. Even the negative ones. Especially the negative ones. Those are the ones that really help me decide if a game is good or not.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shogekiha wrote:

I wasn't discounting your entire review. In fact I reiterated several times your opinion is valid. I'm just saying I disagree with your assessment in one or two key areas. I think it's valuable to mention that so people can read this review thread and see the opinion is not unanimous. I am not attacking you. Just disagreeing with you which is allowed right? You are taking this far too personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't mind negative reviews either, but I would like to add if you are going to write one, you better get some thick skin and not be so defensive because.....well this is the internet after all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
Also, it looks to me that you only did the first adventure. You say you killed the boss with only 2 actions...so you played solo with Roland? This scenario is an easy one for you to learn the rules, designed in a way that Roland you cannot really fail.

I'd love to know how you're playing the game. I just tried the scenario and I don't think it's possible for Roland to succeed if you're playing solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the review!

I haven't gotten this yet, but my boys and I like LOTR so I'm strongly considering this.

I have to say, your English seems more than ok to me, I could throw a rock where I am and hit any number of multi-generational natives for whom English is the primary (and only) tongue...and who can't write that well. You did have a couple extra "u"s in there ("flavour"), so just clean that up and it will be perfect! (I keed! I keed!)

(Also, as a complete aside: For WH40K reading, I strongly encourage you and anyone to read Dan Abnett. Gaunt's Ghosts is a great series, also Eisonhorn and Ravenor. IMO not many writers in that genre can really flesh out characters, and none as well as he can.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edgarthewoebringer wrote:
You did have a couple extra "u"s in there ("flavour"),

Actually the OP is from the United Kingdom where it can be spelled as such
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hardy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Jedit wrote:
Nushura wrote:
Also, it looks to me that you only did the first adventure. You say you killed the boss with only 2 actions...so you played solo with Roland? This scenario is an easy one for you to learn the rules, designed in a way that Roland you cannot really fail.

I'd love to know how you're playing the game. I just tried the scenario and I don't think it's possible for Roland to succeed if you're playing solo.

I succeeded with Roland playing solo in Scenario "The Gathering" - how? With dynamite and breaking a blade in that damned "boss"! Was close to death, and some trusted allies were "defeated" on the way. Even while the fool of a Roland tried to "Cover Up" the whole thing from the unknowing public. What a naughty (obedient) FED!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.