Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the rules doesn't make it clear what a good or typical way to set VPs is. (Assume, say, I'm the White Knight). Fame and Notoriety have different factors, but lots of the monsters give equal values, so should I do 1x Great Treasure, 2x F, 1x N, 1x $?

I mean, I'm still playing this solo, I'm just wondering what the thoughts are. Obviously spells are out until I take a magical character...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapter 17 of the Book of Learning has extensive recommendations contributed by Robert Godfrey. Includes both an overview of each category and suggested victory requirements for each character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! I'm 200 pages into it, but hadn't noticed a Chapter 17! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slacker (says the guy who's read it all but still never got around to actually playing the game...one of these days...yeah...one of these days...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear: the rules SHOULD NOT tell you the right/best way to play. That is up to you to decude. Trial, error, trial, lotsa error. VP assignment is one factor that makes this game so skill based. If you know you can reliably get 60 Fame and Notoriety, there is an optimal distribution to get the highest score. Some go with 3 in Fame 2 in Notoriety, as you hit your goals at 40 of each, lowest total, but may not get as high a score as you gain more.

For example, the dwarf is good at finding treasures in caves, so it may be tempting to put some VPs in gold so he can sell the treasure. BUT, he cannot walk very far, so I usually expect him to keep his treasures, so I put 1 in great treasures, the rest in fame & not. Experiment! See what works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
so should I do 1x Great Treasure, 2x F, 1x N, 1x $?

That's a reasonable choice for most characters. You never know what the game will throw at you and all of those Victory Requirements should be achievable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
so should I do 1x Great Treasure, 2x F, 1x N, 1x $?

There are 17 Great Treasures and 9 are worth negative Fame. So you may need more than the 20 Fame the 2X F requires. Just something to keep in mind.

This is a great game. Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.